Ticket Update (4/4/06):

There was some concern that, without a big-name 'marquee' band, the show might not sell out, or if it did, it would take an agonizingly long time.

I suspect Glenn's already reached his break-even point (hope so!) and so, every ticket sold now is 'gravy.' Which he richly deserves, so buy, buy, buy! :headbang:

If I knew how many tickets were still available, I'd update the WREKage website appropriately, but I'll just estimate instead. :)

I don't know - could be me, I just have not seen the hype on other sites for this years lineup as in years past.

I know this is a weak lineup for me *Please don't flame - my opinion*, but I'm still going because of the vendors, atmosphere, the experience, and several of the bands I want to see.

The festivals name is growing, and soon it'll be sold out every year cause of the regulars who go regardless of who's playing.

Maybe I've just not seen it and missed the hype *besides these forums*. I never had a doubt it would sell out, but I think we shouldn't assume that it's selling so fast solely based on the strength of this year's lineup. I know it wasn't the selling factor for me as I really had to consider if I wanted to spend the money going.

However, it's like a ritual and I enjoy the experience, and maybe one of the bands that doesn't excite me will impress me. I think its a factor like this which is starting to contribute more and more to ticket sales at PP than the actual lineup (though its still important - don't get me wrong).

That is one thing that PP is becoming known for, is the atmosphere of the whole event. That is what makes the festival worth going too.

Congrats,Glenn on another fine job...I got to rub it in to my wife,who said..."Why do you need to be sitting at the computer at 10AM...the concert isn't until September?"
She should know from previous PP's.I missed the chance to see year 3 because I hesitated a little too long,ever since then I am ready a week before the tickets go on sale.
See you all in September FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHH

Thanks everyone. Sales were very sluggish yesterday so it could indeed take a while to sell this thing out. I appreciate your continued support in getting the word out on buying tickets.

Glenn H.

Michael TEOF said:
What's the hurry? You have 5 months!

Do you somehow get more money if it sells out faster?

The Michael

I have high standards and refuse to indulge in apathy. My obsessive/compulsive attitude towards the festival is what makes this festival work.

If you were a larger band in Europe with some interest in playing the show, which sounds more impressive to you? A sell-out in five days or a sell-out in five months?

It's the little things that add up....

The Glenn H

If I were a larger band in Europe, I'd probably want a bigger venue with more people or something before I'd care about how fast something sells out.

I think they should just play Prog Power because it rules and they are nice people with progressive and powerful metal hearts.

The Michael

Michael TEOF said:
If I were a larger band in Europe, I'd probably want a bigger venue with more people or something before I'd care about how fast something sells out.

I think they should just play Prog Power because it rules and they are nice people with progressive and powerful metal hearts.

The Michael

In the real world, larger venues/people are not an option in the U.S. We *are* the largest show in the U.S. for all of these bands including their U.S. tours around the fest. Word of mouth & reputation is what built ProgPower USA. It is huge in the booking/managment circles and you look for every single advantage you can get when you go after a band. I sort of have experience on this so you will just have take my word on it.

If I took your attitude, I don't think the festival would be in the same position it is today.

I like the idealism (blended with sarcasm) in your last statment, but it's not going to buy you a cup of coffee.

Glenn H.

Oh you still have to work and work and work, with a little magic and maybe some ego, to get these bigger bands to commit. So I don't think that The Michael meant that in a bad way. I do agree with his statement, that the bands are probably more concerned with the size of the audience and paycheck, rather than how fast it sells out. But... reputation goes a helluva way, and I'd think this show has it now. Even with your healthy reputation, Glenn, it must still be a chore each year.

I can't even imagine what it took to finally get Stratovarius to come over here! You gotta put that story alone on a DVD for us!

Harvester said:
I don't think the festival would be in the same position it is today.

I like the idealism (blended with sarcasm) in your last statment, but it's not going to buy you a cup of coffee.

Glenn H.

You already have The Michael endorsing Prog Power - possibly the biggest whorebot in the Prog Power community. What more could you possibly do to bolster your reputation?

You should just tell me what bands you're going after next year. I'll march right to their flat, apartment, condo, mansion and I'll make them an offer they can't refuse.

The Michael

Bryan316 said:
I do agree with his statement, that the bands are probably more concerned with the size of the audience and paycheck, rather than how fast it sells out.

That's obviously true. My point is that sometimes you have to above & beyond that to capture the interest of the larger bands that really could careless about the U.S. market. I have been after Within Temptation for years and can meet their financial demands. However, they still cannot be confirmed. This is where I have to look for any edge I can get in attempting to sell the product.

To revert back to the core, his question was why do you care if it takes a few days or a few months, as long as it sells out? It's simply a matter of pride in your work.

Glenn H.

Michael TEOF said:
You already have The Michael endorsing Prog Power - possibly the biggest whorebot in the Prog Power community. What more could you possibly do to bolster your reputation?

The Michael

Damn good point. :worship:

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
That's obviously true. My point is that sometimes you have to above & beyond that to capture the interest of the larger bands that really could careless about the U.S. market. I have been after Within Temptation for years and can meet their financial demands. However, they still cannot be confirmed. This is where I have to look for any edge I can get in attempting to sell the product.

To revert back to the core, his question was why do you care if it takes a few days or a few months, as long as it sells out? It's simply a matter of pride in your work.

Glenn H.

"Look. I have booked bands that are bigger than you for this show. Get over yourselves. And come get your shit sold in the US."

Well, you probably can't just say this. But its true.

Ok... maybe few bands are bigger than Fates Warning. But still. Bands thinking that this show is 'no big deal' and that the US market sucks.... sigh.

Then again... if you booked this outdoors and had a metalfest in the US as big as the Midtown Music festival used to be for that 'other style of music'...

p.s. I really hope you get Within Temptation next year =D