2. The
Inner Circle of Reality
3. Dreams of Tomorrow
4. Altar of Roses
5. Definition of Insanity

6. Quest of a Million Souls

7. Hidden Memories

8. Bach Prelude Variation (J.S. Bach)

This is the perfect album for all you prog metal freaks out there. This is basically the brainchild of one man, Richard Andersson, the keyboardist in the band. This is a man who has toured with SYMPHONY X. He is definitely a wizard with the keys, and has brought with him a first class band to back up his playing abilities. I hate to have to compare TIME REQUIEM to any other band, but it’s so hard not to. Trust me, if you are a fan of SYMPHONY X, you have found something to tide you over till your next neo-classical prog metal fix is needed. This is progressive metal the way it was meant to be played, but never sounding overly too complex. TIME REQUIEM can go off on their tangents, and float away from the main song with all their instrumentation, but travel right back in the direction they started eventually, and yet still sound perfectly blended together. The production on this release is spot on, with every instrument sounding like it has it’s own place, although sometimes the keyboards can be a little over the top, although I’m sure that is meant to be like that. The drumming is nothing too over zealous, and plays along more to the melody of the song than going off on its own path, although there are a few points here and there where the drummer will throw in some nice fill work with cymbals. Guitars are blended perfectly throughout, and range from neo-classical to the nth degree, to some nice steady chugging work to make the songs sound more complete. The vocalist has some amazing ranges, and certainly sounds like a cross between Russell Allen, and James LaBrie at times. Here comes another vocalist by the name of Apollo to throw into those hallowed vocal halls. Although I did notice on one particular track, “Definition of Insanity”, that his vocals were not in top form on that day of recording, and hit some sour notes with this song. Maybe it was too expensive to go back in and re-track them, and they left it at that. They even end the album with a short keyboard tribute to BACH. Finally, a band of this caliber admits to the major influence in the playing styles.

TIME REQUIEM have crafted some wonderful soundscapes here, and come highly recommended. Even though they are not original by any means, what they do is done well, and stands high above most of the other clone bands out there that think they can pull off complex song structures. These guys are the real deal, and you will not come away from the experience empty handed.

Rating: 8 /10

Evil C