Time to give back! Need feedback though ;-)

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
Hey gang:err:

so after all these years learning from you guys I never had something really big to give back to you (besides some tips here and there) and I was thinking about what I could do about that.

Some of you know my primary income is (or rather was) web development (along with design) so

What?

A website. In form of a sort of "resource-addition" to the boards.

Something easily accessible (think Google...), fast, clean, just useful info.

Basically, the main idea would just be to combine all the stuff that is spread among hundreds of sites we relate to in one way or the other on one big page, filtering all the junk right from the start, keeping an eye on quality but also offer a variety of sources.

All on one site. Consolidated. Simplified. Standardised.

User Registration

Everything on this site will become available AFTER registration.
See below for more details.

Directory

This site would have a directory-like structure on the front page consisting of the following areas (all focused on heavy rock/metal):

(Btw, these aren't really sorted yet, just throwing them at you so you get the picture...)

Tutorials:
- How do mix drums?
- Micing cabs incl. samples in the tutorial
- Recording/Mixing/Mastering...
- How to achieve this and that tone?
- Equipment "reviews" ála Harmony-Central
etc.

Tips:
- from popular engineers
- from non-popular engineers ;)
- Amp settings
- Linktips
etc.

A database:
- (Drum) samples
- Impulses
etc.

Rating system

Rate it. Points or stars, not sure yet.
Results can be sorted by ratings, as well as hits, date etc.

User functions

A user profile and some tools for every user to interact.
See below for more details.

Why?

Well, for several reasons:

- Accessability

- Although we now have the most handsome :p moderator this board got hella big, so info is often hard to find and you'd have to dig deep to get to gold a lot of times.

- A lot of (sample) links are dead.

- To keep the forum clean from all those "random" threads that would have a better home on the site I'm talking about. This would help the board to get back to the stuff of why we basically are all here, so we can focus on new ideas, approaches, exchance our knowledge but still have all the useful resources available, just seperated.

Who?

Me
administrating the pages
adding content
coherence
adding new features
keeping it up2date

You
free registration
access to all files/texts/tutorials
being able to add content
being able to rate content
(maybe) being able to comment content
(I don't want this to get Youtube-character, so...)
being able to suggest additions or corrections (e.g. tutorials)

How much $?

Zero. Free and will stay free. No ads. No charges whatsoever.
Donations (if you wish to do so) will be possible though ;)

However, I will restrict access to boardmembers with ??? posts to keep troll-levels and traffic to a minimum.

I will also try to get this onto fast and reliable servers so it will hopefully be a permanent addition to the boards.

Now...

How do you like this idea?
Would you register?
Would you help me adding content?
Any features you'd like this site to have besides the aforementioned ones?

I will try to get a BETA up asap or so you can see what I'm actually talking about in case this is sounding too inscrutable.

Cheers!

Will there be a place to upload songs by users as well? It would be cool to have all the songs gathered in one place, under each one's user name. For example, if I wanted to hear how much Marcus sucked 2 years ago (just kidding Marcus :D <3), I could find my way to his little "folder" of this new thing, and it would list all songs made by him (well, if he uploads them that is...). Another feature could be to add a little player on that song section of the site, which could either randomly select a song and just promote it for an hour or a day, and then keep on randomly selecting songs like that so others could just press play and hear a song from a member of the forum. Or, it could promote those who have the highest ranking... whatever.

I don't know, the reason I ask for this is because I think there is a ton of good shit coming out from this forum but most of them just get buried or forgotten.

However, I will restrict access to boardmembers with ??? posts to keep troll-levels and traffic to a minimum.

Sounds like a good idea, but won't restricting it from idiots mean that we dont have anywhere to direct said idiots to when they ask silly questions? :)

This.
Plus, I've also started work on a simple website that will have a lot of the main information most people value here. I'm still slowly moving content on to it.
The BPM Factory.

Yes, I was aware of that page. However it didn't work when I tried to access it the other day. Also it is not what I mean by what I plan to do, except for maybe the tutorials that are mirrored there ;)

Hmm, guess I have to set a small version up for everyone to see.

Öwen;8515804 said:
Sounds like a good idea, but won't restricting it from idiots mean that we dont have anywhere to direct said idiots to when they ask silly questions? :)

Hmm, maybe just restrict access to the files then and let the rest be available to everyone. Reason for the limitation is that in case this site gets popular you'll a lot of leechers that harvest the site just for the samples, return here once they realize they can't deal with em and ask for "settings" plz :rolleyes:

But good question, I'm still trying to find a solution that is more elegant than restricting access.

Will there be a place to upload songs by users as well? It would be cool to have all the songs gathered in one place, under each one's user name. For example, if I wanted to hear how much Marcus sucked 2 years ago (just kidding Marcus :D <3), I could find my way to his little "folder" of this new thing, and it would list all songs made by him (well, if he uploads them that is...). Another feature could be to add a little player on that song section of the site, which could either randomly select a song and just promote it for an hour or a day, and then keep on randomly selecting songs like that so others could just press play and hear a song from a member of the forum. Or, it could promote those who have the highest ranking... whatever.

I don't know, the reason I ask for this is because I think there is a ton of good shit coming out from this forum but most of them just get buried or forgotten.

Nice idea but maybe just linking it to the respective Soundclick, Myspace and so forth on the profile page?

Hmmm...strange that you couldn't access the site the other day, it should be stable. I might get onto my host about that! Working okay now though, yeah?
I deemed the whole 'community' aspect of it irrelevant for my needs, as I just wanted a site that can easily be referenced and from speaking to others, I'm not the only one.
If "n00bz" want to harvest information from the site, so be it - but if they still don't have a clue then they're up shit-creek without a paddle! :D

Great idea lads, at the moment im trying to step up my game a good bit so this resource would be great for people like myself(who have the basics down and can do basic recordings but cant get that SHINE on there)

I agree with this entire idea but this post especially.
Being able to hear how people have developed their craft mix by mix by mix by mix would be fucking awesome!

I like Niall's site, although abyssofdream's idea seems to be better IMO, maybe you could sort something out together? I'm with Erkan and Gareth on the uploading songs part. and about restricting, maybe posting COMMENTS should be restricted to members with X amount of posts in the forum? cause the material should be public anyways, just don't want the trolls leaving comments "what prezet did u use on this? I want sound like Mr. BooarJeeerr"

This would be a great idea. I think the restricted access would be a good thing, you could have the access to everyone section that goes over basic material that all the noobs ask over and over again. A mass FAQ with many different categories, as soon as a new question arises in the forum, you could add it to the FAQ. The restricted access should be similar to youtube, in the sense that you could look up a certain user and look at all the material that they have posted, and also a main directory off all the material categorized so that you can look it up that way as well (like the subforums here at Andy Sneap).

An Idea about the restricted access. Should be limited to users that have over a certain number of postings or have posted useful information, such as tutorials that people have enjoyed, shootouts, reviews or generally assisted professional help with equipment and mixing or have established themselves as professional musicians (bands/myspace/soundclick) with well produced music.

Hmmm...strange that you couldn't access the site the other day, it should be stable. I might get onto my host about that! Working okay now though, yeah?
I deemed the whole 'community' aspect of it irrelevant for my needs, as I just wanted a site that can easily be referenced and from speaking to others, I'm not the only one.
If "n00bz" want to harvest information from the site, so be it - but if they still don't have a clue then they're up shit-creek without a paddle! :D

We could try that in the beginning and if trolls manage to ruin it, the stricter moderation shall have to be initiated.