Tips for low tuned guitars??

krokit

Noisey B*****d
Dec 5, 2005
London
Any tips for setting up low tuned guitars (heavier strings obviously) that have helped you avoid flapping strings ect?

Cheers :headbang:

When your stringing your guitars, tune lower then you want. Like, if you're tuning to C, go to A. Then tune up to the desired tuning. Raise your action a bit. And don't go too heavy with the strings...you'll lose attack and things will get boomy and mushy. Look at Dino Cazares....light as hell. (His strings, at least)

Theres a limit to how thick you can go. But this is limit is just because the size of the wind actually makes the scale length minutely shorter at the bridge where the string bends at a 90 degree angle. Hard to explain. I think its about at .062 though. I tune to A# and run my strings at 62, 50, 38, 28(w), 17, 12 On my Baritones I go just a hair thinner. Going light on the strings doesnt work at all. The heavier the string, the more tension. Thats what you want. Yes you have to raise your action. If Dino uses ultra light strings he must have to pick ultra light too.

Colin

Tony Iommi tuned down to C# with a set of .08 - .38's, and he's not a light picker. Dimebag tuned down to the same using .09's. As long as the guitar is set up properly, it can accomodate lighter strings at lower tunings. I think most players like to have a little more tension on the strings, where as guys like Dimebag claimed he liked the spongier feel of the strings better.

It all depends on your technique. If you're a heavy handed player, you need heavier strings and more tension. Some people can play in low tunings with lighter strings, but your playing approach has to work with it. Also worth noting is that those loose strings lose some sustain as well. More string tension helps in that area.
But what do I know....I hate low tunings! :p

Low tunnings are perfect to play heavyer music, I have a Jackson dinky with emgs and I tune it in flat B and I use this strings : 54-42-32-24w-16-12, in my esp 7th string I use 56-46-36-26w-17-13-10, but depend on your type of playing.......heavyer string have a fat souns!! I like It

Yep the lower you go, the worse it gets. C# aint that low. Only 3 half steps below A 440. Also listen to some of that Sabbath. The tuning is wavering. And just one guitarist so its not as crucial. When you are tracking 4 tracks of guitar with two players, tuned down to A(Korn, Sepultura, etc), and are putting the guitars right up front in your face in the mix, you need ultimate stability. Ask Andy. There can be no compromises!

Colin

Of course keep in mind I'm not suggesting 9-42 for G or anything stupid like that. But people tend to go way overboard.

Carcass used 11-52 for B standard for example.

I have tried every tuning and every string set possible. Seven strings, Baritones, etc, etc. Baritine is best. 27 in scale length is perfect length/vs playability for B and below. For A and A# I suggest 10, 15, 26, 36, 48, 59 for the lightest set on a standard guitar. And 13, 18, 30, 40, 50, 63 for the heaviest. Also using a thinner pic(Andy trick), is cool if you are still getting wavering. But sounds worse IMO. For C# I recommend 11-52 set.

You will have to experiment yourself. But is a hassle cause you have to re intonate and set up for each tuning. I started experimenting in 1994 and settled 7 years later. :)

Colin

vile_ator said:
I have tried every tuning and every string set possible. Seven strings, Baritones, etc, etc. Baritine is best. 27 in scale length is perfect length/vs playability for B and below. For A and A# I suggest 10, 15, 26, 36, 48, 59 for the lightest set on a standard guitar. And 13, 18, 30, 40, 50, 63 for the heaviest. Also using a thinner pic(Andy trick), is cool if you are still getting wavering. But sounds worse IMO. For C# I recommend 11-52 set.

You will have to experiment yourself. But is a hassle cause you have to re intonate and set up for each tuning. I started experimenting in 1994 and settled 7 years later. :)

Colin

I've never owned a long-scale guitar, I should give one a shot.

vile_ator said:

Colin

Is your Jackson I see in pics a baritone?

gauges really depends on the prefferences. MilkAndCheese said about carcass that they're using '52 for standard B;well i play in drop B and using 10-52, 11-52 also(i've tryed many gauges for this tuning) and i'm preety happy with the attack, the tension, and the playability.
ps: my buddy partner is using 12-54 on his guitar(and i will consider this option in the future cause its the only gauge i didnt tryied so far)