to edit or not to edit?

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
hey guys!

so iv'e tracked drums to my album, and they sound amazing even without being mixed yet!

anyway, the drummer was pretty tight, and he tracked a couple of different takes for each part, different in terms of the part he plays, that is...

now, besides having to chose the part i like most out of a number of takes for each part, i'm thinking whether i should slip edit the drums or not.

on one side, it IS metal even if not the most modern of styles and definitly NOT core, on the other side, if i only edit the bars where he went out of line, it'll still sound good.
question is, by industry standard level,
has slip editing every hit has became a MUST?
or can it still sound world-class material even if the drums were not slip-edited yed the drummer is tight? (but humanly tight)

so basically what i'm asking is if i MUST do it in order for the record to sound world class? or maybe edit only the songs that are more "modern" or just the parts that sound "modern"?
or maybe just edit only the parts that are out of rythem?

There is no 'a must'. If it sounds good, leave it as it is. The only criterion should be if a recording sounds tight or not. Do not make your decisions by zooming to the grid! Sure, if he's swinging too much then tighten it up, but don't just do it for the sake of it. To sound 'pro', sure, edit whatever is necessary, for ex. edit kick and bass so they are really 'locked' with each other, cymbal accents and things like that. But if you cannot hear it, then do not 'fix' it.

That is the question. I was thinking about it the other night and came to the conclusion that i will only ever slip edit drums when it becomes difficult for the guitar to track to the drums. I usually work with heavier music that doesn't call for a super tight polished sound though.

well i can understand that if your'e into black metal and stuff.
tough having a really super polished black metal production can be awesome!
but than again it won't be black metal anymore haha

anyway the sound i'd like to achive is megadeth/lamb of god "ashes" style which sounds awesome to me.
the raw tracks are SUPER high quality but the question remains: can it be achived without slip editing?
or has slip editing became a MUST in order to achive such super sweet sounding mixes?

In cases like that I usually just edit everytime they start to drift from the grid substantially. I usually end up shifting every couple bars.

If it's important that you edit anything at all (which it isn't) just edit the super obvious drifts and leave everything else.
Our standards are becoming more and more warped by hearing so many albums with inhumanly precise performances, and we begin more and more to reach for a standard of playing that is not humanly possible.
So break the paradigm for everyone else and for yourself and take the plunge, let the performance flow in the final version as it did in the moment he recorded it :) ~~

FYI ... Machinehead doesnt record to a click and there is very little drum editing. So that being said every album has sounded outstanding so the answer is NO!

right there, you got me!

that is, if that includes The Blackening...

I am pretty sure The Blackening was recorded in the way that Jason speaks of