To Hell And Back Again.........Four Times!

Paxoman

Sep 10, 2002
A stranger in a strange land!
Visit site
OK, so here is a review (of sorts) of the four Saxon gigs I attended, with a few pics. There are already quite a few pics of the gigs on here, so I won’t bore you with a load more!

First up, of course, was the Astoria gig. Saxon playing on St George’s Day, now you really can’t ask for anything more special than that! We arranged to meet Wilks and Lionheart747 at about 3pm, so me and Sammi set off to London nice and early. Lionheart747 turned up at 5pm, and Wilks turned up about 6.30pm, so cheers lads! :lol: Nah just kidding with ya, I know you both had a bit of a nightmare getting to London, especially Wilks.

While we were waiting for Lionheart747 in the ‘Intrepid Fox’, who should walk in and stand next to us at the bar but Nibbs! We had a chat with Nibbs and then Lionheart747 turned up, and then Nibbs had to go to do his sound check. We also ran into Saxonmckenz in the ‘Intrepid Fox’. Now, I’m sure if I went to see Saxon in any city anywhere in the world, and went to a street that had 100 pubs on it, I would still run into Saxonmckenz! :lol:

Me, Saxonmckenz, and Lionheart747

After a few beers it was off to the Crobar to meet Goss and Wilks.

Wilks and me.

Then it was off to the Astoria. Got in there just in time to see Blitzkreig do the song ‘Blitzkreig’. I think that is pretty much the only song I know by them, so at least we got there in time to hear that one. Much has already been said of the gig, so I won’t go into details again. Just to say though that it was an absolutely brilliant gig. It was pretty mental down the front, but there is nothing wrong with people having a good time. But it is when you get total dickheads who show no consideration for anyone else that it starts to get out of order.

We didn’t have our camera at the gig but plenty of pics have already been posted of the Astoria gig anyway. Anyway, the setlist for the Astoria (in the correct order) is -

1, Motorcycle Man.
2, Backs To The Wall.
3, Strong Arm Of The Law.
4, Stallions Of The Highway.
5, Never Surrender.
6, Power And The Glory.
7, Frozen Rainbow.
8, Suzie Hold On.
9, The Eagle Has Landed.
10, Dallas 1pm.
11, Redline.
12, To Hell And Back Again.
13, And The Bands Played On.
14, Crusader.
15, 20,00 ft.
16, Stand Up And Be Counted.
17, Princess Of The Night.

Encore.

18, The Return/Lionheart.
19, 747.
20, Heavy Metal Thunder.

Encore.

21, Doug solo/Wheels Of Steel.
22, Denim & Leather.

Gig time - A shade over two hours.

After the gig we were going to have a drink in Molly Moggs, but it was closed. That was probably just as well because I was knackered! It was certainly one hell of a gig, and a good time was had by all I think!

Wolves Gig.

Me and Sammi met up with Goss at Victoria coach station in the morning and it was off to Wolverhampton. Got the coach to Birmingham, and then it was a train to Wolverhampton where Lionheart747 was waiting for us. Then it was a short walk to our B&B (not as short as it should have been because we couldn’t find it! :lol:), a quick freshen up, and resume where we left off at the Astoria. Met a couple of good lads at our B&B who were also going to the gig. One of whom was the spitting image of Peter Kay! In fact, he looked more like him with every beer I had! :lol:

So off to the gig we all went and met up with JP Angel. First band on were Blitzkreig. I didn’t really get into them to be honest, but they went down well with a lot of people, so I am genuinely pleased for them.

Blitzkreig

Next up were Girlschool. My brother saw them recently and said they were crap. But I can honestly say I thought they were superb. I knew about half their songs, and even the ones I didn’t know were easy to get into. I will definitely make a point of seeing them when they next play.

Girlschool

Then it was time for Saxon. It was another great show, but probably not quite as good as the Astoria show. But then it would have had to be something special to top the London show. I paced myself better for this show and didn’t run out of energy with half the set remaining! :lol:

Set list for Wolves (in correct order) -

1, Motorcycle Man.
2, Back To The Wall.
5, Never Surrender.
6, Power And The Glory.
7, Frozen Rainbow.
8, Suzie Hold On.
9, Bands Played on.
10, Eagle Has Landed.
11, To Hell And Back Again.
12, 20,00 ft.
13, Redline.
14, Crusader.
15, Dallas 1pm.
16, Princess Of The night

Encore.

17, The Return/Lionheart.
18, 747.
19, Wheels Of Steel.

Gig time - About 1hr 45 mins.

Lionheart747 and his new wife (Although she doesn't know it yet!) :lol:

So another great gig and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. After the gig we went round the back and waited for the band, that’s not something I have ever done before. I felt like a right groupie! :lol: Both Blitzkreig and Girlschool came out and took time out to sign stuff for the fans and pose for photos, and have a chat. So that was really nice of them. Then the various members of Saxon started drifting out of the venue, and again took time out to sign stuff, pose for photos, and chat with the fans. I was lucky enough to get my pic taken with every member of the band, so I was well chuffed at that. Got a bit of stick from Nigel (all good natured of course) when he found out that I was Paxoman! :lol:

Nigel just found who I was!

Manchester Gig.

What with going to see Limehouse Lizzy on Friday, having a family meal on Saturday, then seeing Saxon on Sunday and Monday, it was nice to have a day off on Tuesday! Apparently the gig at Norwich was pretty good, according to Shell, the best of the tour so far.

Round three for us started at the Wave bar, for some cheap beer. £1 a pint, well it would be rude not to! And I’m not one to be rude! :lol: Then me, Sammi, and Goss were off to the Salisbury, a good metal pub that attracts allsorts in there and always has a good atmosphere. I was getting well settled in there, and if it had have been anyone else playing apart from Saxon, I might have just stayed in the Salisbury!

Missed Blitzkreig this time around, so I don’t know how they went down. A lot has already been said about the Manchester gig, especially with all the stage divers. It was interesting to note that most of these people were young, and none had Saxon t shirts on. They were obviously students, and seeing as the venue is in the university, I just wonder if any of them had actually paid to get in. That said, it was another top gig, the band looked like they enjoyed themselves. I know Nibbs definitely enjoyed the gig. I wasn’t sure what the turn out at the Manchester gig would be like, but it seemed quite full, and there was a good atmosphere.

Should have got loads of good pics but the batteries ran out on the camera!

Full set list (in correct order) -

1, Motorcycle Man.
2, Backs To The Wall.
5, Never Surrender.
6, 20,000 ft.
7, Frozen Rainbow.
8, Suzie Hold On.
9, Bands Played On.
10, Man And Machine.
11, Power and the Glory.
12, Stand Up And Be Counted.
13, To Hell And Back Again.
14, Redline.
15, Dallas 1pm.
16, Princess of The Night.

Encore.

17, Doug solo/Wheels Of Steel.
18, Denim And Leather.

Encore.

19, Heavy Metal Thunder.
20, 747.

Gig time - About 1hr 45mins.

Dublin gig.

As soon as this gig was announced I knew I just had to be there! Especially as Saxon haven’t played Ireland for such a long time. Me and Goss headed off to Manchester airport in plenty of time to catch our flight at 13.40. We were just wandering around the airport killing time when who should we bump into but Biff! He looked busy so we didn’t want to bother him, so we just said hello and left him to it.

No sooner had we taken off, then it was time to land again! Found our hotel, checked in, freshened up, and then it was ‘Back on the streets’! I wasn’t sure what it would be like in Dublin, what with the Irish/English thing. I deliberately didn’t wear any of my Lionheart/England t shirts, just in case. But I must say the Irish people were fantastic, they were so friendly and helpful, I needn’t have worried.

We had a little wander around Dublin, popping into a few bars. We were told of a good metal pub called Bruxelles, so we headed off there and sunk a few.

Probably one of the most respected figures ever to grace the world of rock.........standing next to a statue of Phil Lynott! :lol:

Got talking to a few people in Bruxelles, in particular a great lad called Shane. Heard a story about when O/D Saxon played in Dublin a few years ago. A few of the fans went up to Graham Oliver and asked him where Biff was. According to Mr Oliver, Biff had been sacked! I must say I had a good laugh at hearing that! Everyone who said they saw the O/D gig said they were absolutely s**t.. After downing a few(!) pints, it was off to the gig.

A few of these were sunk by me and Goss!

Molly Malone. Otherwise known as the tart with the cart, according to Shane!

The Temple Bar Music Centre was quite a small venue. We were there when the band were setting up, and it actually had tables in the hall! I assume they moved them out though. I was down the front so I didn’t really notice. At one stage it looked like it might be a bit of a small crowd, but it filled up when the band came on. The fans were certainly up for it, and generated a cracking atmosphere. The set list was slightly different as well, and what with the cracking atmosphere it was probably the best of the four gigs I went to. The only downside was it was another slightly shorter gig.

Full set list (in correct order) -

1, Motorcycle Man.
2, Backs To The Wall.
4, Dogs Of War.
5, Stallions Of The Highway.
6, Never Surrender.
7, Eagle Has Landed.
8, Man And Machine.
9, Dallas 1pm.
10, Crusader.
11, 20,00 ft.
12, Solid Ball Of Rock.
13, Hell And Back Again.
14, Princess Of The Night.

Encore.

15, The Return/Lionheart.
16, Bands Played On.
17, Denim And Leather.

Encore.

18, Doug solo/Wheels Of Steel.
19, 747.

Gig time - About 1hr 40mins.

So, a great set and a cracking gig, and I would definitely recommend Dublin for seeing a gig.

So there you go, a week of travelling around the country seeing Saxon. It got a bit tiring at stages, and I am afraid to work out how much money it has cost me! So would I do it again? Of course I would!

The NWOBHM tour has been a great success. But me personally, I hope that Saxon play a lot of the ‘newer’ music on the next tour. Not just songs from the new album, but songs from ‘Solid Ball Of Rock’ onwards. The 80’s songs are great, but hey, it’s not as if Saxons last four albums have been pants is it?! If Saxon played a two hour set, and played no song older than the ’Unleash The Beast’ album, I would be more than happy!

Just a quick word about the merchandise. This was the second tour running where a lot of the merchandise was sold out after just one show. What is that all about? I couldn’t get the t shirt I wanted in my size, so will have to buy it from Metaltix now. So that means paying extra for it. Not to mention that Metaltix always f**k up my order.

It was great to meet up with forum members again that I already knew - Goss, Lionheart747, Wilks, Saxonmckenz,, The Trooper, and to meet new ones such as DTT, JP Angel, and shell. Special thanks to Goss for all the set list info, Cheers mate. Here’s to the next time :headbang:

PAXOMAN......I agree....Saxon's 80's stuff is great,but in my opinion Unleash The Beast,Metalhead,Killing Ground and Lionheart...those 4 albums are the best 4 in Saxon's career!! And the re-recorded songs that make up the album "Heavy Metal Thunder" is much much better than the originals,new Saxon the last 10 years of Saxon are thier best,most brilliant and brilliant is the masterpiece Lionheart!

Paxoman said:
Yeah it was a shame that you couldn't make it over here this time saxonfan, it would have been great to meet you. Hopefully next time you will be able to come over.
I wish the same. Thanks.... They should have a Saxon miles club or something.I believe I've racked up close to 30,000 miles following the boys.I'm sure you've many more.I wonder who has the record?

Pax, that was a truly awesome diary, :worship: I feel like I was there and truly wish I was ! The picture of you and Nige gave me a particular smile :lol:

You must be knackered from all that :danceboy: and drinkin' :puke:

Fingers said:
Pax, that was a truly awesome diary, :worship: I feel like I was there and truly wish I was ! The picture of you and Nige gave me a particular smile :lol:

You must be knackered from all that :danceboy: and drinkin' :puke:

Nigel is a top bloke! I wasn't going to tell him who I was! In fact I didn't, Sammi did! :lol:

I'm not sure I quite danced like that smiley above! :lol: But yeah, it did get a bit tiring, especially as I'm not sleeping very well lately for some reason. I don't think I slept for more than 10 hours over the whole week. Still, it was well worth it, and I'd definitely do it all again. It would be great if maybe next tour, we could get a few more people to go to a few of the gigs. It was a real shame you didn't go to the Astoria gig. You will DEFINITELY have to go to the next one, even if West Ham are on the brink of winning the double. I say that cos, like it's EVER gonna happen!!! :lol:

Bloody brilliant gig at the astoria!!!! Had a fantastic time all day, meeting up with Pax & Sammi again (Give me a txt again to check i've got your number Pax). Cheers to all the other dudes that i met from the site and a big thanks to Goss who i think got me a beer. Which country next time PAX? Yep, you would find me in any country or pub pax! You don't have to Miss Marple to find me mate do ya!!!

saxonmckenz said:
Bloody brilliant gig at the astoria!!!! Had a fantastic time all day, meeting up with Pax & Sammi again (Give me a txt again to check i've got your number Pax). Cheers to all the other dudes that i met from the site and a big thanks to Goss who i think got me a beer. Which country next time PAX? Yep, you would find me in any country or pub pax! You don't have to Miss Marple to find me mate do ya!!!

If we were both wandering around the Sahara desert we would still meet mate! :lol:

Which country? It has to be definitely Germany again I think! :headbang:

Nice one pax.Felt like i was there.Oh yeah i was,unlike fingers(fukin west ham?).It was great to meet you all again.The thing is everyone is as nice as come across on the board.Goss cheers for the beer mate.Pax thanks for making me feel welcome and introducing me to the fantastic sammi.Saxonmac what a great bloke.
Looking forward to the next gig.
Wilks.

Paxoman said:
You will DEFINITELY have to go to the next one, even if West Ham are on the brink of winning the double. I say that cos, like it's EVER gonna happen!!! :lol:

Perhaps I can tie it in with a UEFA cup game game :lol:

P.S. If West Ham played darts they wouldn't hit a double, I can say that bearing in mind I've waited 26 years for an FA CUP FINAL ! (Incidentally I was 12 the last time we got to the FA Cup Final)

WILKS said:
Nice one pax.Felt like i was there.Oh yeah i was,unlike fingers(fukin west ham

Your eloquence knows no bounds Wilks :lol:

Gutted I missed meeting you all :cry: thanks for rubbing it in............. have I mentioned West Ham are in the FA CUP FINAL for the first time in 26 years and have therefore qualified for the UEFA Cup (almost by default I hasten to add) :worship: :headbang: :loco:

P.S. Germany sounds good Pax
P.P.S. Its not very METAL, but whilst staying in Brum for the semi, we bumped into the band "The Flaming Lips" (well 2 of them, the rest had gone to bed lightweights) and I have to say they were good lads, and a right laugh.

Great review of all the gigs, Pax !!! What a fantastic time !!! I am struggling with Photobucket !! Have saved the pictures but don't know how to put them on this site. Could you send me some instructions, Sammi ?

Cheers,

Goss.

WILKS said:
The thing is everyone is as nice as come across on the board.

I thought that too Wilks, everyone I have met from this message board so far have been cracking people :) Even though I met you for the first time in London the other week, I felt like I already knew you really well, just from the banter on here these past couple of years :)

[quote-]Pax thanks for making me feel welcome and introducing me to the fantastic sammi.Saxonmac what a great bloke.
Looking forward to the next gig.
Wilks.[/quote]

Me, fantastic? Just how many beers had you had?? :lol: I agree, Saxonmckenz is a great bloke - I think I've seen him more times over the last few years than some members of my own family! lol

Here's to the next gig...can't wait! :headbang: :kickass:

Cheers Wilks your a good man. Hey Pax i think Germany would be brilliant again. Hopefully, in October like last year. See if we could get a hardcore 10 from the site to go.

GOSS said:
Great review of all the gigs, Pax !!! What a fantastic time !!! I am struggling with Photobucket !! Have saved the pictures but don't know how to put them on this site. Could you send me some instructions, Sammi ?

Cheers,

Goss.

I sure will Goss, I'll PM you...