To Rid the Disease..Dark and Evil??

musicnerd

Oct 19, 2004
On the Lamentations DVD, Mikael introduces To Rid the Disease as a dark and evil song? Is this a joke, because I think the song is quite beautiful. Although I don't know what its about. any ideas????

He's always joking...When I went to see him in 2003 he was cracking jokes all the time. They even played a little bit from a another Swedish band called Bo Kaspers orkester. Which is some sort of crazy Swedish Folk music band. It was very funny and everybody was laughing.

I think he's just obssesed with the whole Damnation album being dark and evil even though its mellow. Maybe its to try and justify it to the die hard metallers, or maybe it was a joke ?

gee, i dont see how a song titled "To rid the disease" can be evil...

I've always thought it leans a bit to the evil side lyrically. Evil in a weird way...as I interperet it...humankind is diseased and in a sense is a disease. The creator has to decide how to fix it, and maybe the best way is eradicate the whole race. Obviously most Opeth lyrics are very poetic and open to different interpertations. That's what I've always thought it was about. It could be much more specific though...??

Seth

In Absentia makes a lot of sense in context, its just difficult to pick up the context without listening to the album many, many times. each song has a subtle (well most are subtle) meaning that the lyrics allude to, and if you don't see the connection, the lyrics make no sense

I love that song too - it's my favorite on Damnation. But, I was surprised that no one (on this thread) mentioned the possibility that the song is about an abortion.

I dunno - I always thought the chorus was a dead giveaway. But, I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

wwallinga said:
I love that song too - it's my favorite on Damnation. But, I was surprised that no one (on this thread) mentioned the possibility that the song is about an abortion.

I dunno - I always thought the chorus was a dead giveaway. But, I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

There's innocence torn from its maker
And stillborn, the trust in you
This failure has made the creator
So would you tell him what to do

(I get that impression from this verse also. I also get the feeling of denial.)