To those of you with massive CD collections

Dead_Lioness said:
5) yes all the time. people always want me to send them stuff because they can discover new stuff from my list.

That makes me wonder, maybe you'd be sendin me some stuff? I'm ALWAYS up for hearing new stuff, same with all my friends. I know people who listen to all sorts of stuff, so I want absolutely ANYTHING you have!

1. I never use CD wallets except for CD-R's because they tend to scratch up CDs over time.

2. See above, CD-Rs can be pretty easily replaced.

3. External hard drive.

4. Nah. I know what I gots

5. I sometimes give my friends mix cds of new shit so they can keep up with my random tastes.

6. Can find a number of makers of quality shelves that don't look too bad.

7. Collection is right around nine hundred (as Lioness said Original) CDs, that is, not cd-rs or the like.

CD wallets are lame because the ruin cds. When I used them I always misplaced my cds and their cases because they became separated.

Since I do the radio show, I have to keep a lot of my discs in a portable manner. I have one cd wallet that holds about 250 discs. I also put the booklets in this wallet with the cd inside the booklet to protect it, and to have a tracklisting.

For the rest of my cds, I just keep them on display racks around my apartment (they're currently all packed up in boxes because I just moved... made one trip with my truck loaded exclusively with cds).

Like Steph, I have a whole shitload of promo sleeve discs and most of them are shit so I just keep them in boxes in no order at all times. I also have numerous boxes full of cds I've gotten of bands I don't like. You'd be suprised how much bullshit I get every week in the mail, but I just can't bring myself to throw away a cd, even if it sucks bad.

I've never counted my collection or kept an inventory in any way. Seems like too much typing. It's in the thousands, though. Maybe 2,000 or so? No way to tell, I'm not about to count them haha.

I also have about 200 more at my desk at work that either suck or don't fit the format of my radio show. Like I said, I just can't bring myself to throwing them out. I also have a bunch more that are good that we play on the show at work, too.

I'm generally not really into boasting about my job... but of all my cds, I've only paid for probably a third of them. It's a perk, I guess ;)

EDIT: Usually the only time I'll rip a cd onto my computer is if I REALLY like it and plan on listening while I sit at my pc or if I just found a cd that had been lost for a long time. I rip it to make sure no matter what, I'll have it in some shape or form.

NP: Between the Buried and Me - The Silent Circus

1. Do you use CD wallets to store your CDs? If so, do you find that one giant wallet or many smaller ones are easier to manage?

I have two big ones right now and I need another.

3. Do you use a computer, data CDs, or portable hard drive to back up your collection?

Hell no it would slow my computer down tons.

4. Do you "keep inventory" i.e. keep a list of some kind, perhaps on cd-tracker.com or some other website?

Nope

5. Do you trade, or exchange burned CDs with people, whether it be locals or people over long distances?

Occasionaly

6. What do you do about storing the cases: CD towers, boxes, etc.?

I just throw them in my closet after I take out the book, then I tape the back art to my wall.

1. Do you use CD wallets to store your CDs? If so, do you find that one giant wallet or many smaller ones are easier to manage?

No. But I'm going to go when I make my temporary move to Germany. Damn that's going to suck transporting all my CDs into a wallet.

2. If you keep all of your CDs in their cases, what do you do about storing burned CDs?

I barely have any burned CDs.

3. Do you use a computer, data CDs, or portable hard drive to back up your collection?

Not really. I put the odd song on an IPOD.

4. Do you "keep inventory" i.e. keep a list of some kind, perhaps on cd-tracker.com or some other website?

No fag.

5. Do you trade, or exchange burned CDs with people, whether it be locals or people over long distances?

I trade songs with people, rarely CDs.

I have one tower, one section of my bookshelf, and now I'm onto my headboard.

AND FINALLY:
7. If you know, how big is your collection?

I'll count just for you. <3

On the rack: 80
Book shelf: 112
Headboard: Merely 12 so far.

Final: 204

:erk: I thought I had more. :cry:

Well, I guess I have a little more with double CDs and what not. But nothing special. I have about thirty old, shitty death metal CDs that I don't count as part of my collection.

Lunar Still said:
Just a few questions, as my collection is growing quite large (about 220; I know its not THAT big, but...eh). I'm just interested in how other people manage their stuff.

Yes...i use a big one because its easier for me to deal with

2. If you keep all of your CDs in their cases, what do you do about storing burned CDs?
I put them with my other cds

Not really..i have a lot on my mp3 player but its not the entire collection

No

Yes at times i do! i like it when people send me copies of stuff thats obscure to me!

i have three towers..two of them are almost full and about 4 feet tall

AND FINALLY:
err...its around 500 cds (including soundtracks, and shit i hardly listen to anymore)

I&Tee use an open closet with shelves to hold my 530 CDs. They are all sorted out by alphabetic order. My LPs I hold in a closed closed, along with my 7", and the Digipacks.

I have few burned CDS, that i keep at the end shelves of the above closet.

I keep MP3s of some of my CDs, but only to share with friend. No backup. If I did backup though, I would back-up in scrathproof CDs.

I do not exchange CDs, I barely buy CDs/LPs anymore, since I moved to Croatia, if I have something that someone would like to have and that someone is appreciated by me I am burning the CD and send it over. I have done that few times. (one of those was send the Nevermore Demo to Australia and US. :) )

I use Tellico to make a database of my CDs and LPs. So far I have a complete record of my CDs ( 527 original CDs, all metal except a couple that are Rock/hardRock ). It is great software and exports to various formats, including html.

I have 527 CDs and some 450-500 LPs for which I spent an average of 9-10 Euros per item.

-No

-I've only got a few burned discs, I keeo them in any extra jewel cases I have

-Not intentionally, but most of the cd's I've bought since purchasing my computer are ripped to it.

4. Do you "keep inventory" i.e. keep a list of some kind, perhaps on cd-tracker.com or some other website? No

-No

-Towers, but I've got a box with stuff I have no intention of listening to in it.

AND FINALLY:

-I don't know exactly, somewhere in the 200+ range.