To those with few or no "friends"

Join the club bro! I find my self esteem plummeting as I get older. I still have plenty of friends but I do see a layer of filth that shrouds them. Then there are times when I feel like I have no friends because they are so different from me. They are all rich yuppies that dont come from where I come from and have never had any worries and never had to earn anything in their life and at times I feel like they look down at me. Oh I feel alone but sometimes you just have to suck it up put yourself out there as you are and people will respect you for it. There is no such thing as a true friend, just temporary acquaintences with a few common interests. Just try to have fun, do what you want to do, and fuck what other people think.

I gave this topic some more thought, and I figure I feel down sometimes for two reasons.

Sometimes I truly do desire someone to talk to when I get bored with being alone, I tire of just retreating into my own thoughts or pumping the music up. I guess it's only natural, especially considering I have no friends and nowhere besides this forum to go for a meaningful discussion.

Other times...

I guess Lina put it best in an old post.

Originally posted by Lina
And yes, ignorance is bliss. Part of me would LOVE to be stupid, care only about guys and partying and join a sorority and gab on my cell phone about the next drinking destination where I will freak some guy to the sounds of the latest pop or rap song. Not because I actually want to do these things, but because these are the people who are having "fun," these are the people with friends.
Despite my disdain for the general closed-mindedness of the majority, as well as my obvious, and not-so-obvious differences from most people, I still sometimes wish I could just be like the majority, and as a result have a ton of friends and have fun.

We are always told, at least here in America, that we must have more friends than we can count, lose our virginity as early as possible, keep up with all the latest trends and fads, and only then will we be acceptable as people. To stray, is to be mediocre, pathetic, and alone.

Which is why sometimes, even I, who's life phylosophy revolves around individualism, sometimes feels like I am somehow inadequate because I have no friends. The incredible "mindfucking" (as Satori amusingly puts it) that society did to me at an early age still gets to me. I still sometimes think that I should have a ton of friends because "people my age just do."

Anyway, that's what I got from thinking about this topic a lot. I'm not sure if you all can relate to this or not, but I'd like to know your thoughts on this subject.

We are always told, at least here in America, that we must have more friends than we can count, lose our virginity as early as possible, keep up with all the latest trends and fads, and only then will we be acceptable as people. To stray, is to be mediocre, pathetic, and alone.

You to huh?

Australia is the same.

This is a big day for you Lina. :eek:

First... 1000 posts.... then the ultimate form of flattery... a quote!!

This is truly your day. :D

I never EVER wanted to be part of the majority. I don't long for their kind of fun. To me, THEY are the mediocre ones. To be flagrantly different in today's society is what shows that you're above the rest. I know they're laughing at me, but it's okay because I'm laughing at them to. As Jonathan Davis said "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same."

:lol: This reminds me of one time I was to write an essay and read it aloud in class. I wrote a Star Trek Esque essay called: "We are the Majority... You will be assimilated... Resistance is futile!"

In that essay I compared American society to the Borg from Star Trek. The whole class thought I was completely twisted and evil by the time I finished... It was great! :D

To be flagrantly different in today's society is what shows that you're above the rest

eek3.gif

Being 'different' for the sake of being 'different' is just as bad as being the same. It is infact WORSE.

Originally posted by Trapped

Being 'different' for the sake of being 'different' is just as bad as being the same. It is infact WORSE.

I don't know how to be different. I have never tried - I've only known how to be me.

Thats exactly my point, MetalmanCPA.

Just be yourself.

I HATE people that 'try to be different'. You are who you are, and you should take pride in it.

No-one is any better than anyone else, simply because they act 'different'.

I'm sorry Jayde, i'm not attacking you... I'm just attacking your post. :rolleyes:

yea, trying to be diffrent is just pathetic. when you try to be diffrent, your trying to fit in with the diffrent people. its the same way popular kids want to fit in with the popular kids. That "you laugh cause im diffrent, i laugh at you cause your all the same" quote is really played out and just stupid. that is the ultimate "i'm a freak, dont ever judge me" quote of all time. sorry but thats the way i feel.

Okay, you people are totally misunderstanding my point. All I meant was that if you ARE different, it takes more guts to stay that way when everyone is making fun of you. All I was trying to say was that it's hard to be different in this world (or at least in MY corner of the world) and if you can then you're all the stronger. I never said you should be different just for the sake of difference.

Sentenced: We hardly ever agree on anything. Do you ever notice that? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jayde
Okay, you people are totally misunderstanding my point. All I meant was that if you ARE different, it takes more guts to stay that way when everyone is making fun of you. All I was trying to say was that it's hard to be different in this world (or at least in MY corner of the world) and if you can then you're all the stronger. I never said you should be different just for the sake of difference.

Sentenced: We hardly ever agree on anything. Do you ever notice that? :rolleyes:

You're only different and made fun of by exactly the type of human you hate - the kind that live their lives trying to "belong". I belong to me - and if nobody likes it - tough shit (pardon my french). That's why I don't have many friends (see other threads) - it seems most people around me WANT to belong to something.

It IS hard face the day being "picked" on, and it's definately not easy to become a sponge for that type of behavior, to ignore, to walk away - to protect that difference.

Interesting topic.

I would have to say being alone is a great thing, and believing in your solitude is a good personality trait. From where I come from, very few people share this philisophy. Where I live, it is how good you are socially is what will determine the degree of success in your life. There is no such thing over here as honesty, as im inclined to believe, just lots of sell-outs and a high degree of corruption.

Do I have any friends? You can say that, but just the kind of people that I can hang out with once in a while. Like most of you in this thread, I think I'm a lot better off alone, for all the same reasons as you are. I do have only one close friend, and thats because he always acts the same, regardless of who he's with. I have a lot of respect for him.

Just like the rest of you here, I hate it when you're in a large groups, and everyone else just suddenly "changes" the way they think, just for the sake of temporary laughter. It seems like jackasses seem to be everywhere in the world.

Originally posted by Trapped
Thats exactly my point, MetalmanCPA.

Just be yourself.

I HATE people that 'try to be different'. You are who you are, and you should take pride in it.

No-one is any better than anyone else, simply because they act 'different'.

I'm sorry Jayde, i'm not attacking you... I'm just attacking your post. :rolleyes:

I agree that it's important to be yourself. And yes, being different just for the sake of standing out, or feeling superior, is not especially admirable.

But trying to be different (and perhaps better) can be a good thing in some cases. If the people around you are doing things that you think are harmful are wrong or just plain stupid, than there's nothing wrong with deliberately setting higher and "different" standards for yourself, and therefore trying to be different.

Originally posted by llamaura
But trying to be different (and perhaps better) can be a good thing in some cases. If the people around you are doing things that you think are harmful are wrong or just plain stupid, than there's nothing wrong with deliberately setting higher and "different" standards for yourself, and therefore trying to be different.

I have to totally agree with this. I moved away from the small town I used to live in simply because of how my 'friends' were acting and will turn out. I didn't want to end up like them. So, I moved 700 miles away from all that I knew to live with my brother in search of something different and better. Many kids may think of leaving their homes at the age of 15 but would never follow through with the decision to move if they didn't have to. I think I am in a much better place now with a lot more opportunities and things to do. I am getting a much better education, which will prepare me more for the rest of my life. I am experiencing the 'real' world more here and seeing how things really are(unlike where I used to live). So, I think being 'different' can be a very good thing sometimes.