Tommy: Kamelot's videos 'Sacrimony' and 'My Confession' both on page 3)

Disliking a Kamelot album with Tommy on vocals? Funny guy you Andreas. This isn't even possible in theory. :)
I was actually a bit afraid that you would slam me for confessing my sins, so i wasn't sure if I dared to press "Post".
Now stop lurking the internets and go back to the studio and make me some Seventh Wonder magic.
Your music is what keeps me sane :)

I do like the few things I sampled from the album, so I ordered it. Problem is that I shouldn't expect it to arrive until November 1st, so drat the luck and things... I did buy the Sacrimony single when it first came out. I ain't ripping this off that's for true. :D

I wanted to write a short review about how I like the album. I wanted to wait a while until the fangirl emotions die down. I have the album for a week now and listen to it every day and so far it just gets better with ever spin. Even the two or three songs I couldn't find access to so far start to bloom. The new album is so absolutely fantastic, I don't know how to coherently review it. I read in several forums etc. that Tommy tries to copy Roy with singing but I don't hear that at all. I guess people expected him to sing like in Seventh Wonder, but how silly would that have been? I'm so glad he doesn't. Both bands have a very significant style and I do not ever want that to mesh into each other.

My favorite songs so far are... all? No, okay let's see... I would say Ashes To Ashes, Veritas, My Confession (is it just me or does it have some Sonata Arctica vibes?), Solitaire, Song For Jolee and Torn. That's like half the album. Also the chorus of The Journey (Part III of Prodigal Son) has one of the most goosebumps choruses ever.

Tommy is so gifted with writing killer melodies that totally capture my heart. How does he do that?

Has anyone listened to the bonus track 'Grace'? That's quite different to Kamelot's usual style. Very pop/rock/alternative. I love when my fav bands try something different.

I'm going to see them tomorrow at the Z7 in Pratteln. One of five gigs I will attend. Hello crazy fan. Ahem. :) But you know what my biggest dream is? To go to five gigs on a Seventh Wonder Tour. One day it will happen. <3

Well, now that I have a computer again (F#@Kin' hard drive) I can say that Silverthorn has, as of today, become my most played new album to date! (my iPod keeps count, after 2 months, it's not new any more, but Silverthorn didn't even need the full two to take first place.) I get sick of things quickly usually, so most new albums I get end up played a lot, but still mixed mostly with old stuff. But a proud few are so awesome that I can't seem to get sick of them regardless of repeated plays without anything else thrown in to keep it fresh. Silverthorn plowed right past The Black Halo, and Epica shortly thereafter, it shockingly overtook Mercy Falls, and even the mighty Karma, it then somehow managed to squash The Great Escape (poor little spider... :( ). I must say I'm positively giddy. :D

I like the video for Sacrimony, though it oozes more cheese than a jalapeno popper, but I've come to expect that from Kamelot's videos. :lol:

I know this comment is a bit late to the party, but I literally just thought of this while listening to Kamelot's discography the other day...

In all of the criticism of Tommy's performance vs. Roy's performance in Kamelot, has anyone compared each vocalist's debut album with the band? Because Siege Perilous is an ant, and Silverthorn is the boot.

Aside from the fact that I like Siege Perilous a lot, you really can't compare both albums. There is a musical lifetime in between where the band grew and evolved. Also Tommy wrote his lyrics and the melody lines while SP was almost completely done when Roy joined the band.

Also the album was ruined in the mixing process sound-wise.

^ THANK YOU! I have been saying for years that they need to release a remaster of Siege. :bah: I love it too and I have to sit there and focus in on poor Roy so hard to hear him that I look constipated. :lol: And it is hard to relax and enjoy good music while looking constipated.

Now, if you're talking overall skill. Roy is much cleaner, he sings "right." However, Roy had proper training, whereas Tommy has just been McGyvering it all these years, so due to the fact that Tommy can stand beside Roy - and even surpass him on the high end (though Roy kicks that lovely little ass of his on the low end... But you can't win em all. :lol:) would lead one to believe that Tommy is, if anything, the better of the two - assuming that, were Tommy to have proper instruction, he would exceed what he can do now - which is as good as what Roy can do with that training. Though if his improvement wouldn't be all that much, they'd still be pretty much even, depending on which aspect of their singing you'd be judging.Though, I will always prefer Roy personally. But that's me. It's sultry velvet vs crystal glass - and when given that choice, I will always take the velvet - the only real comparison is which you personally like more. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and they're really quite the opposite of one another. Tommy is the Yang to Roy's Yin. :lol: That warm, soft light to balance the lush, heavy darkness of Roy. Apples and oranges people - Err, no those both suck... How about a Peach and a pineapple? :p Either way, their stage presence, their singing style, their style in general really - they just aren't comparable. Yes, Tommy can sound like Roy... But so can Elvis. ;) Even where they overlap in terms of color and range, I can easily tell the difference. Their energies are so vastly different that I really can't compare them against one another other that to say that Roy is more my style. And many of you - well, probably most of you given that this is a SW forum :lol: - would likely say the reverse. But is that quality on their part? Or just taste on yours?

I will certainly agree that the mixing on Siege is horrendous, though I do not share the same enthusiasm for the songs. In the word of Lars Ulrich, I find the entire album to be "stock" power metal.

The musical life of the band is extremely important in the success of Silverthorn. My point here was not to dig on old Kamelot or Roy. I love Kamelot with Roy. I was simply saying that, because Kamelot has such a long legacy, it is easy to compare the two vocalists and rip on Tommy for not living up to his predecessor (as some believe). Tommy's performance on Silverthorn is even more monumental when you stop comparing him to Khan, and consider that this is his very first album with the band, and it sounds incredible.

^ Ah. okay I see what you were saying now. :) I agree, Tommy settled in very quickly with Kamelot, and that comfort shows on Silverthorn.

Kamelot released their new video/song: "My Confession"!!

Check it out:

Tommy rocks again :headbang:!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great song. The video itself kind of seems like a a sequel to The Human Stain (which isn't bad).

On a semi-unrelated note, they really fucked up the radio edit of Falling like the Farenheit. They cut out all the instrumental passages from the song and, with the exception of the first 5 or 10 seconds, the whole thing is Tommy's singing. I almost didn't get into this band because of their shitty radio edits (March of Mephisto and The Haunting) so it's super disappointing that they are keeping that shitty tradition going.

^ No, he just can't act worth shit. :lol:

I feel bad saying it because I adore Tommy. But oh god. :erk:

...We seem to be in the minority though, as everyone else is raving about how perfect he is. :err: His voice is great, and I love the song, but he needs to learn how to move in front of a camera.
It's not a burn, it's perfectly normal that he's awkward in front of a camera, most people are, there are a few who just pop out of the womb and start acting, but most just can't do it so naturally.

...Unfortunately for Tommy, Roy was one of those few people... So when Tommy looks so rigid where Roy looked so natural, it's only providing fodder for people who would blast him. :bah: Which is not fair to Tommy, who is doing well for just being tossed in front of a camera and told to do this and that with no real training and no natural knack for it.

He has been McGyvering his singing all these years and it's worked fine, but this time - this time the natural ability isn't there. He's going to have to get some help for this, and there's nothing wrong with that.

He just needs a little tutelage, that's all. Some one-on-one time away from the lights and the groups of people staring at him to get comfortable and figure out how to get that brightness - that awesome charisma he has on stage to show on camera.

Tommy is known for being fussy, and I've gotten used to him being just so, so that might be why it bothers the hell out of me to see him doing something so lackluster. :guh: It's just... God damn it, It pisses me off. :lol:

Yo, Tommy, learn how to act dude. Make it perfect - I know you can.
It's your own fault honey, you've spoiled us by making everything perfect thus far, and now we'll accept nothing less. :lol: Make it happen.

I don't agree with you at all. I don't know Tommy personally but somehow, after watching numerous of videos and reading interviews, I've discovered that his personality is very much like mine. Shy and respectful towards other people but very passionate about his interests, and I think it's exactly this passion that shines through in this video. So to me it makes nothing but sense.

Acting wise I do not know, I'm no expert at it, but it doesn't really matter if the acting is good or bad. This is not a play or a movie.

INCOMING TEXT WALL! ...This might seem trollish, but I swear there is a point to my rambling, just come on my journey with me...

He doesn't have to be perfect, that's true. But look at Tommy onstage: He's the warm, fuzzy little Swedish Care Bear we all know and love - He's the dude who sings March of Me-freakin'-phisto with a cheerful smile on his face. :lol: Onstage he's just Tommy, and he makes no effort to be anything else. And that's great, I love him for that. BUT. In a video, he can't just be Tommy. Whether he's just standing there singing like he has thus far, or playing an actual part in a video like Rule the World, he can't just be Tommy. Basically, what I'm saying is that Tommy is too genuine for his own good.

You're right, he's a singer, not an actor, but the videos are part of his job also. And it isn't just about whether or not he's believable enough to make a video work. The issue goes beyond that; As I said above, he is replacing someone who could act. Someone who was very comfortable slipping into a dark, enigmatic persona, and then back out as soon as the music stopped playing. The thing is, Roy was always acting when the fans saw him performing. Catch him offstage and he was a sweetie - Roy was a sweetie. Khan - his stage persona - the one the fans most often saw and associate with him, was dark and enigmatic. But it's not like that with Tommy - he is as gentle and warm onstage as he is if you catch him on the street. The rift in Roy's persona occurred offstage where few people saw. But with Tommy, that's not the case. With Tommy, the break occurs very visibly, when he's forced to act dark for the videos. So when Tommy goes from onstage Tommy - looking so vibrant and cheerful - to video Tommy who is told to look dark, you can see a stark contrast, whereas Roy seemed to be genuine, because both matched. If Tommy could make that transition smoothly, the break wouldn't feel like a break, because it would look natural. It would look like just another side of Tommy, rather than a forced facade.

Right now in the videos Tommy is wearing a mask and telling us he's not. But that isn't enough. He needs to wear that mask, tell us he isn't, and make us believe he isn't even though we can see it plain as day. We all know he's a sweetie, but we all knew Roy was too - we all saw his mask, we all knew it wasn't his real face, but he made us believe it was. Because he knew how to act, and he did it well. Right now, all I see is Tommy in a mask.

This is important, because they used the SAME DIRECTOR for these videos. So the same dude who told Roy "hey, move like this." Is now telling Tommy the same thing. So now, you have Tommy making the same movements as Roy, and trying to look dark and menacing. ...But failing because he just isn't a very dark, much less menacing guy, and doesn't have the acting ability to make us believe he is.

That is how it is... But not how it looks... What it looks like is the usually happy-smiley Tommy forcing himself to be like Roy for the videos. That's not how it actually is, but that doesn't matter - that's how it looks. And from the outside, not knowing it was the same director pushing his style on both of them, it looks like Tommy is trying - and failing - to mimic Roy. The whole "dark enigma" thing is nearly every Metal vocalist's thing. But it's not Tommy's thing. And it looks forced when he does it - because it is forced. That's just not Tommy, and he's too damned honest(? I guess is the best word?) to betray his inner Tommy-ish-ness that makes him who he is for long enough to pull of a character.

That's the bottom line right there. That is acting. In real life, Roy was as menacing as a box of kittens, (which is still a skosh more menacing than Tommy. :lol: Poor thing, he's just too damned adorable for this crap.) but onstage - onstage he made us believe he was the evil Mephisto, and no one ever blinked. He was dark and menacing, not because he actually was, because he made us believe he was. Onstage, Tommy is just Tommy. And in the videos, he is still just Tommy - clearly trying to be something he's not for the sake of the video, but still insisting on holding onto himself. And that, is why he can't act. Roy couldn't be himself and Khan simultaneously, he was one, then the other. Tommy is either Tommy, or he's someone else. You can't hold onto yourself when playing a character, you are them, or you are you. (This is, for anyone who follows what I say anywhere in regards to him, the reason I always call Roy by his first name, rather than his stage name. Khan is a phantom created by Roy, not Roy himself.) But Tommy refuses to let go, so he can never fall into character properly.

The result is that he looks like a cheap knockoff. And that, is not right. It's not fair to Tommy - He is no fucking knockoff. :mad: He deserves to get out from under that shadow. He has pushed it away with his singing, but the videos just bring it back.

I want him to shine in the videos the way he does onstage. And I won't be happy until he does. If that means I have to play the bad guy and ride his ass the whole way to glory, then so be it. I have a lot of rage anyway. :Smokedev: