Toontrack Metal month 2014

Played around a lot last night; love this expansion. Very usable sounds, great addition to my library. Cymbals and toms are wonderful and having rimshot control on toms too is incredible for programing realism.

the samples -> playback is what I was mostly getting at, it just seems odd. Like is it really worth not doing 16 or 24 and just calling it a day? Apparently to Toontrack it is, and they're better at this game than I am. :lol:

I get you. In hindsight it still isn't that weird. They are using a dithering algorithm that allows better dynamic range (up to 12dB) in the quieter sections/velocities.

That helps considering I have noticed the noise floor with EZX expansions, which would be 12dB louder.

Though I don't understand why they don't just offer the samples in 24-bit like the SDX expansions and let EX drummer have the 16-bit dithering option. I don't think that DSX having 24-bit samples and control over all the mic bleed is justification to charge over double the price for SDX over EZX.

I remember reading something that because of the noise floor of the recording, 18 bits was a sufficient dynamic range and would make it smaller/run quicker. sure it was a thought out, calculated decision and hopefully not any kind of compromise!

Yup, it helps the dynamic range of the 16-bit engine, removing up to 12dB of noise when possible. The dynamic range of 16-bit is 96dB and 18-bit is 108dB. Pretty good considering 24-bit is 144dB and eats up to 4 times the CPU power over 16-bit depending on the processor. In the end it allows you to compress and process the drums being in 16-bit without having as much noise as you would expect 16-bit to have.

Question for ezDrummer 2 users. I like to throw up ezDrummer for demoing stuff or writing and i'm typically just doing drum parts by hand in Reaper. is the groove matching thing as awesome as i imagine it to be? i can upgrade for like $99 and that's really the only feature that seems desirable to me, just wanna know if it's worth it.

Question for ezDrummer 2 users. I like to throw up ezDrummer for demoing stuff or writing and i'm typically just doing drum parts by hand in Reaper. is the groove matching thing as awesome as i imagine it to be? i can upgrade for like and that's really the only feature that seems desirable to me, just wanna know if it's worth it.

It's very convenient if you have a big midi collection.
You can get the upgrade a bit cheaper at Audiodeluxe.

The only real downside is that their browser's search/filter functions don't (currently) work with any MIDI outside of the official Toontrack stuff. You can browse through them by hand, but since there aren't any tags for the database to work with you can't include them in tap-to-find results, and they won't show up when you start saying "I want metal beats, 4/4, swing feel, half time, no double kick".

However, Toontrack have said that they're looking into it, perhaps with some way for us to tag stuff ourselves.

Tempted to get Made of Metal but I gotta hold out to see what new S2.0 product is coming out

The only real downside is that their browser's search/filter functions don't (currently) work with any MIDI outside of the official Toontrack stuff. You can browse through them by hand, but since there aren't any tags for the database to work with you can't include them in tap-to-find results, and they won't show up when you start saying "I want metal beats, 4/4, swing feel, half time, no double kick".

However, Toontrack have said that they're looking into it, perhaps with some way for us to tag stuff ourselves.

Ahh, so this actually only searches midi that you have loaded. I was hoping for some sort of pattern generation or something like that. Still kinda neat.

Any other features worth the upgrade?

At least in those clips posted the snare hits from MOM get fatiguing quickly just like in MM.

I really want to get this, but I'm still on Windows XP. Those cracky snares sound great.