TOP 10 DRUMMERS

i will refrain from answering the topic... my reason... i know the names of so few drummer that lars ulrich would be on my top 10 list.... probably my top 5...

i had assumed that it would be the death of me...

i need to pay more attention to drummers :)

carl palmer (emerson, lake, and palmer).
also, to repeat myself, neil peart (in my opinion, the greatest. if you get a chance to read his books, too, do it).
and, i will also say matt cameron (soundgarden). i may get a lot of flack for mentioning him, but i think he's fantastic. just a solid player who throws in the odd-time stuff here and there, and can keep impeccable time.
and neil peart. haha.

Mike Portnoy is a GOOD drummer, but he is definitely not one of the top 10. I love to play along to DT songs though, they're a LOT of fun!

Those who I would consider to be 10 OF the top drummers in the world - going by technical ability/musicality:

Virgil Donati (of course)
Dave Weckl
Chris Brien
Marco Minneman
Steve Smith
Thomas Lang
Grant Collins
Vinnie Colaiuta
Danny Carey (and he is much better than Portnoy)
Pete Drummond

And my top 10 FAVOURITE drummers:

Jason Rullo (I love his style)
Virgil Donati
Mike Portnoy
Dave Weckl
Pete Drummond
Chris Brien
Derek Roddy (I don't listen to death metal but this guy inspires me greatly!)
Vinnie Colaiuta
Danny Carey
Steve Gadd

I can't believe I forgot to add Mike Mangini to the list! So my top 10 best drummers will have to be a top 11 as I cannot take anyone away from the list because they're all just so bloody good.

That's true. If this were a top 10 keyboardist list he would definitely be on it. I do really like the Bal-Sagoth drum arrangements, I know it's nothing too technical but it sounds good to me... not too much else I can say that about.

-Virgil Donati
-Thomas Lang
-Akira Jimbo
-Jason Rullo
-Mike Portnoy (a lot of people, including myself, do notice that he does sometimes lack in technique, diversity and overall mastery... but when you really think about it, the guy is amazingly solid and has gotten so many people into drumming. Overall, amazing musician too!)
-Gavin Harrison
-Martin Lopez
-Tony Royster Jr.
-Dave Weckl
-Vinnie Colaiuta

These are some of my faves! There are many, many more!