Top 10 Favorite Bands

The issue doesn't seem to be the number of bands so much as the fact that some aren't metal.

The way I enjoy extreme metal and the way I enjoy most other music is very different. That's why I find them hard to compare.

The softer stuff like Pantera and Metallica I have an easy time stacking up against my non-metal favorites, but the way I feel towards, and how I use, extreme bands like Burzum is on such a different scale and plane from how I listen to bands like Pink Floyd, Regina Spektor, and Pantera. See? Regina Spektor & Pantera are pretty different, but I listen to them the same way. I'm a fan of them in an identical way. Burzum, Dimmu, Bloodbath, I don't think of them in the same terms, I don't listen to them in the same ways. With Regina and Pantera I can compare lyrics, number of albums I like, how often I listen, whether they've remained a favorite for a long time. But that's not the criteria I use to decide the greatness of my extreme metal music. Lyrics, for example, aren't a factor. And I don't have favorite songs. It's two different spectrums. So it's nearly impossible to consolidate. There's no way for me to tell where exactly my favorite non-metal band would be placed on my extreme-metal scale and vice-versa.

I guess one thing that makes it easier for me is that I'm not especially attached to any one genre. Music doesn't have to be extreme for me to find it exciting. Generally what impresses me most about a band is the ideas they convey through atmosphere, poetic lyrics, etc. In that sense, I find it relatively easy to compare across genres.

Of course, there are a lot of bands I consider just plain fun (i.e. AC/DC, Motorhead, Ramones, Orange Goblin, etc.), but I can't really consider them absolute favorites since they don't really leave me with much to think about.

1. Megadeth
2. Firewind
3. In Flames
4. Dark Tranquillity
5. Soilwork
6. Sonata Arctica
7. Kamelot
8. Symphony X
9. Testament
10. Children of Bodom

This will be tough.

Metal (in no specific order):
1.Kamelot
2.Kiuas
3.Therion
4.Amorphis
5.Borknagar
6.Falconer
7.Ensiferum
8.Turisas
9.Moonsorrow
10.Black Sabbath

And Sabaton, Nightwish, Primordial, Virgin Steele and Blind Guardian all have places on this list. It's constantly changing. I probably shouldn't even have posted anything.

Here's non-metal (first three are my top three):
1.PINK FLOYD
2.JETHRO TULL
3.GENESIS
4.Tom Waits
5.Bruce Springsteen
6.Live
7.Great Big Sea
8.Led Zeppelin
9.Fairport Convention
10.Pentangle

Whatever, these lists are bound to change momentarily.

In no particular order, since they change order so frequently.

Between the Buried and Me
Opeth
Bloodbath
Decapitated
Genghis Tron
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Mastodon
Meshuggah
Pig Destroyer
The Fall of Troy

Pink Floyd by a fucking mile
Dream Theater
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Skinless
Swallow The Sun
Maiden
Isis
Benighted
Carcass!

Meshuggah, Enslaved, Ulver, Agalloch, Zeppelin, Neurosis, Limbonic Art, and Summoning get a lot of listens as well and might be up there on a different day

NeO and LA could probably find their way here if they released more than one damn record apiece

Overall I prefer Boards Of Canada / Ulver's more ambient stuff but recently I've listened to Eluvium loads. I didn't see anywhere that these lists were supposed to be metal only. There aren't really 10 metal bands that I currently go out of my way to listen to.

High fucking five for mentioning BoC.

Most people probably know my list already but fuck it:

1. Opeth
2-10. (in no order)
Priest
Sabbath
Dream Theater
first 4 Cradle of Filth
first 4 Metallica
pre-90's Slayer
Morbid Angel
Candlemass
Motley Crue (fuck you, the Crue rules)

Honorable mentions: Bathory, Dimmu Borgir, Dissection, Death, Darkthrone, In The Woods..., Celtic Frost, and shitloads of other bands I'll feel like an ass for forgetting.

I could do a non-metal list but that'd be even harder. :erk:

My list is bound to be popular.

1. Pantera
2. Metallica
3. Burzum
4. Dimmu Borgir
5. Lamb of God
6. Baghead
7. Despised Icon
8. Cryptopsy
9. Bloodbath
10. Entombed

Limited it to metal for fun.

Despised Icon rule, why the hell is Cryptopsy on the same list as them...

Pink Floyd by a fucking mile
Dream Theater
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Skinless
Swallow The Sun
Maiden
Isis
Benighted
Carcass!

Meshuggah, Enslaved, Ulver, Agalloch, Zeppelin, Neurosis, Limbonic Art, and Summoning get a lot of listens as well and might be up there on a different day

NeO and LA could probably find their way here if they released more than one damn record apiece

Where's the AIC d00d?

Despised Icon rule, why the hell is Cryptopsy on the same list as them...

lol I can't say I blame anyone for hating on Cryptopsy after their latest, but the Cryptopsy that made None So Vile and Whisper Supremacy will always be the real Cryptopsy in my eyes. I like Despised Icon, but they come nowhere near those two albums imo.

right now i would have to say...

bathory
super junky monkey
van der graaf generator
bulldozer
fugazi
dark angel
flotsam and jetsam
john zorn
kataxu
sabbat (jap)