Top 10 Favorite Bands

For The Love Of God is godly tbh.
I like both players but in the long run Satch is the better guitarist.
Vai tends to add lots of filler on his albums that amount to nothing, Satch writes GOOD songs.

Close call with me. I enjoy them quite a bit.

My fav's atm,
Metal:

Opeth
Porcupine Tree
Agalloch
Amorphis
Anathema
Enslaved
Carcass
Katatonia
Bloodbath
Keep of Kalessin

Non-metal:

Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
The Beatles
Zeppelin
The Allman Bros.Band
UFO
King Crimson
Camel
Robin Trower
Deep Purple

Non-metal:

Queen
Dead Can Dance
Swans
Biosphere
Cocteau Twins
Joy Division
David Bowie
Tenhi
Depeche Mode
Pink Floyd

No real order, but those are definitely the tops.

Vai lacks the songwriting abilities of Satch, which is why Satch is better. Most of what I've heard from Vai is complete wank except For The Love Of God

Vai actually has oogles more technique (trust me) & is far more advanced when it comes to song structure.

Joe is more melodic & much more accessible. He does the 4/4 thing & uses basic blues type stuff quite a bit, & he's gotten to where he usese it so much he's actually regressing. He does have some great stuff though.

Nothing is wrong with liking Joe more, but talk to most guitarists or go post at any board full of guitarists & most of them are going to prefer Vai. Vai has almost always been my fav guitarist, if I was forced to choose one at least. I can play most of the stuff on "Surfing With An Alien" but I can't even play any of Vai's songs in entirety.

EDIT: I actually can play "Lighter Shade of Green" but I think that's the only one. Even "For the Love of God" has parts that are impossible for me to nail with Vai's nuances.

Metal:
Mourning Beloveth
Reverend Bizarre
Remembrance
Esoteric
Ahab
Lunar Aurora
Negură Bunget
Novembers Doom
Mournful Congregation
Deathspell Omega

Non-metal:
Life's Decay
Dark Sanctuary
Marillion
Nightingale
Dahlia's Tear
Arcana
Tenhi
Antonín Dvořák
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky

I have to revisit this thread. Pretty varied list isn't it?

- Master's Hammer
- Lykathea Aflame
- Détente
- Carnivore
- Coroner
- Warning
- Nominon
- Repugnant
- Dead Congregation
- Pestilence

ok this list has changed since my music taste has evolved from suck:

1. Alice in Chains
2. Acid Bath (or anything Dax Riggs touches)
3. Soilwork
4. Revocation
5. Shadows Fall
6. Kreator
7. Children of Bodom
8. Shinedown (yeah..still)
9. Darkane
10. Dismember

Such a fucking hard question. Alchemist are always #1 in my book.

This is my top 10 as at October 2009, however this list is dynamic and changes weekly.

1. Alchemist
2. Insomnium
3. Paradise Lost
4. Destroyer 666
5. Gorguts
6. Abramelin
7. Suffocation
8. The Chasm
9. Incubus
10. Thanatos

Jhva Elohim Meth through Sounds of Decay Katatonia could be in my top 10, but I'm not going to bother making a list right now because I'm really not sure past 5 (Tool, DsO, Opeth, Pink Floyd, Beatles). After those, no one else I listen to has a really amazing and lengthy discography; everyone else seems to either have an era I almost never listen to (Bathory post-Hammerheart, Slayer post-Reign, Candlemass post-Tales, etc.), or have a full discography of just "good" material never quite enough to make me consider a band a favorite (some examples that come to mind are Incantation, Immolation, Arckanum, or Nile), OR they're like Dead Congregation, Necros Christos, or Teitanblood and just don't have enough material to begin with.

No order.

Cannibal Corpse
Tool
Megadeth
Death
Mayhem
Carcass
Arch Enemy
Amon Amarth
Dying Fetus
Opeth