Top 10 Metal Albums of 2016

Helstar - Vampiro
Ripper - Experiment of Existence
Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder
Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Wytch Hazel - Prelude
Fates Warning - Theories of Flight
Vektor - Terminal Redux

Nothing else is worthy of the incredible honor of being ranked by me.

EDIT: Just finished listening to Darkthrone's Arctic Thunder for the first time. Why do people hate this? Wimps. I'll add that too.

Last edited:
Mine for 2016:
  1. Quicksand Dream - Beheading Tyrants
  2. Lord Vicar - Gates Of Flesh
  3. Demon Bitch - Hellfriends
  4. Infant Death - Violent Rites
  5. Spiritus Mortis - The Year Is One
  6. Angel Sword - Rebels Beyond The Pale
  7. Eternal Champion - The Armor Of Ire
  8. Blood Incantation - Starspawn
  9. Wytch Hazel - Prelude
  10. Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder

What is your favorite Genesis song/album?
My absolute favourite Genesis album is definitely Trespass.

Holding you to this. :cool:

Last edited:
Helstar - Vampiro
Ripper - Experiment of Existence
Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder
Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Wytch Hazel - Prelude
Fates Warning - Theories of Flight
Vektor - Terminal Redux

Nothing else is worthy of the incredible honor of being ranked by me.

EDIT: Just finished listening to Darkthrone's Arctic Thunder for the first time. Why do people hate this? Wimps. I'll add that too.

is this in order brah

GMD's Top Ten Metal Albums of 2016

10)
Slow Forever by Cobalt
Feed me tragic stories through rusted metal tubes...

a1459108403_5.jpg

"Cobalt are no longer a black metal band. They are about as accessible as they can be without the sound beginning to become watered down. And that's fine. Bands change. As much as I would have loved to see the style of Eater of Birds reinterpreted with his newfound abilities, this new path delivers. While there are still the remnants of a blackened aesthetic present, the meat of the music is largely comprised of crust, hardcore and sludge. Neurosis and Tool are still heavily influential, especially when considering the drums. It seems like Erik must have gotten really into Bolt Thrower after opening for them in 2013, because there are quite a few nods to them, especially in the lead guitar. This is obviously a huge plus, because when has adding Bolt Thrower-isms actually made a band worse? There are also some straight up homages, with the excellent acoustic instrumental "Breath" coming off like Steve Von Till channeling Townes Van Zandt. The main motif in this interlude is actually taken from Van Zandt's "Nothing", a beautifully harrowing country-folk tune easily more brutal than any metal song I've ever heard. The crusty rager "Elephant Graveyard" features a riff torn straight out of Darkthrone's "Sjakk Matt Jesu Krist", while turning the punk up to 11." - dystopia 4, Metal Archives

Chosen by:
Jimmy... Dead.

Draehl
EspaDa

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
9) Concepts of Math: Book One (EP) by Watchtower
So many numbers, so little time...

Watchtower_-_Concepts_of_Math_-_Book_One.jpg

"Many of the tunes here were released online over the past couple years, but it's great to have them assembled onto an actual release, and there is one new song to round out the package. Frenetic, jerky progressive thrash, much like they created for 'Control and Resistance' almost 30 years ago, only slightly made-over for the modern era. You still feel that tense paranoia and musical proficiency colliding all over this, and even the more instrumental sections are really interesting." - Autothrall, RYM

Chosen by:
Sirjack

Burkhard

Baroque

7) Arctic Thunder by Darkthrone
Once again roaming those plains of mine...

AT-art-800.jpg

"If a person has not liked their work between the The Cult Is Alive and now, then it's a bit unrealistic for those people to expect to hear something that takes a big step away from that sound. This album has a great deal in common with more mid-era stuff like Ravishing Grimness or Sardonic Wrath as well as their later era stuff (just cut way down on the more upbeat punkier black/thrash feel). It's not earthshattering or brilliant, but so far after a day of listening I enjoyed it. I neither would say that it's somehow undignified. I guess to me as long as the band isn't just pandering to expectations and is out to do what they love to do, then there's nothing undignified about it. And that's the thing as well, Darkthrone music no matter the sub-genre, influences, or quality has always been a reflection of where Fenriz and Nocturno have been in life. From interviews and some comments made in the booklet, this at least seems a continuation of that trend. I think they should be respected for that even if a person doesn't particularly care for their recent output." - Norrmania, Metal Archives

Chosen by:
Krow

dwellerINTHEdark

CASSETTEISGOD
HamburgerBoy
EspaDa

6) Sumerlands by Sumerlands
A great stampede to crush the bones of all the fallen...

sumerlands_3000.jpg

"The riffs from guitar duo Arthur Rizk and John Powers chug and gallop along with glee; a blend of old Sabbath's big, fat distorted blues and old Priest's exciting, propulsive hard rock theatrics. The production really accentuates this, as it is gloriously warm, full and retro sounding. The songwriting is short and to the point, and the songs all between three and four minutes, and they're intense and kinetic enough that they start to remind of Mercyful Fate when they pick up speed. Swanson's occasional King Diamond-esque shrieks don't hurt that comparison at all, either. Swanson, by the way, sounds excellent on here – maybe better than he ever has. His deep, nasal whine has always fit over music about demons and sorcery and ancient times, and this is no different. He works like a charm with this material." - Empyreal, Metal Archives

Chosen by:
Master_Yoda77

Krow

Talos of Atmora
Elric of Melniboné