Top 10 Metal Albums of 2016

I know most of you guys live in dream land and I didn't even vote for Blood Incantation but that's easily been the most popular death metal release I've seen all year. It isn't some unknown band.

Shit dark descent seems to be restocking their releases and merch monthly.

Reactions: CiG
I know most of you guys live in dream land and I didn't even vote for Blood Incantation but that's easily been the most popular death metal release I've seen all year. It isn't some unknown band.

Shit dark descent seems to be restocking their releases and merch monthly.

Very true. I've seen so many people praise it. People who I wouldn't usually associate with the heavier styles of underground metal.

re: CIG, yeah, but maybe it bothers me more because i'm, like, painfully familiar with that album, it's one of my most listened to albums ever and it's very hard to measure up. everyone draws their lines in different places - i found i.e. the chthe'ilist too derivative whereas other people thought it built on finnish DM really productively. *shrug*

i really love a couple of songs on that eternal champ, it's just a little uneven for me. close to making my list though.

i'll post the rest of the list soon. or at least a top 50 or something, idk if i can be fucked with formatting the full list of 171 albums unless someone requests it heh. one thing that's super popular elsewhere but didn't get a single vote here is the ulcerate album.

GMD's Top Fifty Metal Albums of 2016
1) Eternal Champion - The Armor Of Ire 49.61
2) Megadeth - Dystopia 43.77
3) Vektor - Terminal Redux 43.66
4) Blood Incantation - Starspawn 43.11
5) Destroyer 666 - Wildfire 38.5
6) Sumerlands - Sumerlands 29
7) Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder 26.5
8) Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason 23.5
9) Watchtower - Concepts of Math: Book One 21.66
10) Cobalt - Slow Forever 21.5
=11) Schammasch - Triangle 21
=11) Be'lakor - Vessels 21
=13) Panphage - Drengskapr 19
=13) Tarot - Reflections 19
15) Wytch Hazel - Prelude 18
16) Mare Cognitum - Luminiferous Aether 17.11
=17) Insomnium - Winter's Gate 17
=17) High Spirits - Motivator 17
19) Demon Bitch - Hellfriends 15
20) Hyperion - Seraphical Euphony 14.5
=21) Mortem - Deinós Nekrómantis 14
=21) Dark tranquillity - Atoma 14
=21) Amon Amarth - Jomsviking 14
=24) Helstar - Vampiro 13
=24) Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary 13
=24) Angel Sword - Rebels Beyond The Pale 13
27) Ripper - Experiment of Existence 12.66
=28) Khemmis - Hunted 12.5
=28) Chthe'ilist - Le dernier crépuscule 12.5
=30) Horns & Hooves - Consecrate the Marrow 12
=30) Lord Vicar - The Gates of Flesh 12
=30) Haken - Affinity 12
=30) Periphery - III: Select Difficulty 12
34) Abnormality - Mechanisms of Omniscience 11.61
35) Mithras - On Strange Loops 11.5
=36) Ihsahn - Arktis 11
=36) Defeated Sanity - Disposal of the Dead/Dharmata 11
=36) Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika 11
=36) Metal Church - XI 11
=40) Sorcier Des Glaces - North 10
=40) Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts 10
=40) Mutant - Pleiades 10
=40) Omnium Gatherum - Grey Heavens 10
=40) Brymir - Slayer of Gods 10
=40) Jute Gyte - Perdurance 10
=40) Quicksand Dream - Beheading Tyrants 10
47) Exmortus - Ride Forth 9.166
=48) Voivod - Post Society 9
=48) Mortillery - Shapeshifter 9
=48) Madder Mortem - Red in Tooth and Claw 9
=48) Substratum - Substratum 9
=48) Gatecreeper – Sonoran Depravation 9
=48) pg.lost - Versus 9
=48) Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Molten Bones 9

Reactions: nizzon and Baroque
1) Eternal Champion - The Armor Of Ire 49.61
6) Sumerlands - Sumerlands 29
7) Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder 26.5
9) Watchtower - Concepts of Math: Book One 21.66
10) Cobalt - Slow Forever 21.5

I'll have to listen to these. Something tells me that Cobalt album will be as underwhelming as the one Krow recommended to me.

Damn, Nekro Drunkz didn't even make the top 50. Fucking gaylords.

re: CIG, yeah, but maybe it bothers me more because i'm, like, painfully familiar with that album, it's one of my most listened to albums ever and it's very hard to measure up.

Fair enough. I've never really been a person that excessively watches or listens to something, which is good because I don't have things like this happen to me, like ever.

I thoroughly enjoyed the latest Hellbringer, so I'm extra glad.

Damn, Nekro Drunkz didn't even make the top 50

Remember when you passed that off as brutal death metal like an idiot? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Sumerlands --> Seamount clone (and Seamount is better anyway) 5/10
Darkthrone --> Can this band stick to a sound for more than 2 albums please? 6/10 because it's dark fucking throne

That's all I've sampled out of that list. Eternal Champion's new one isn't on Spotify so I'll get around to listening to it at some point.

People saying that Megadeth got #2 because of name recognition alone are just butthurt some other band in the 11-50 range didn't get in. Cry harder. That album was legit the best thing the band did since Cryptic Writings (or Youthanasia depending on some people here).

Reactions: nizzon
I actually listened to that Megadeth album a couple times because my wife wanted to check out their 3D viewer version (she's an account manager for a company that sells them, she called that one a flimsy piece of trash, for whatever that's worth)

It was alright. Maybe I'll try it again. It might have been on my top 20 tbh.

Just from what I read on here I feel like a couple guys are rating it maybe a bit higher than they normally would because they released a few really bad albums and they finally dropped a good one.

Edit: I'm actually a bit surprised Vektor didn't win and I wouldn't have been too upset if they did. Even though I didn't put it in my top ten, it's a damn good album and superior to the Megadeth album imo. It's just far too long for me to sit and listen to in one go.

Reactions: CiG
It's not supposed to be like War Metal. They've changed their sound already on Eater of Birds. And their sound kicks ass.

Since you aren't a native English speaker, I was just telling Ozz they were different. I know it's not supposed to sound the same, I just didn't like it at all.

While I really liked Dystopia, putting it in the #2 spot is a bit hyperbolic. Especially when you have albums like Post Society, The Northern Sanctuary, Terminal Redux, The Hunted, Affinity, Winter's Gate, Vessels, Vampiro, and Sumerlands below it. In my opinion, kind of ridiculous.