Top 10 Metal Albums of 2016

Surprised to see EC win. It, like Vektor do a good job of pulling in fans from other sub-genres so I shouldn't be too surprised...

I like the album, but it seems a bit frontloaded and definitely has some filler tracks.

My updated Top 10 2016:

Obscura - Akroasis
Megadeth - Dystopia
Ripper - Experiment of Existence
Vektor - Terminal Redux
Chthe'ilist - Le Dernier Crépuscule
Blood Incantation - Starspawn
Witch Vomit - A Scream from the Tomb Below
Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire
Sacramental Blood - Ternion Demonarchy
Abnormality - Mechanisms of Omiscience

Other good shit:

Sol Sistere - Unfading Incorporeal Vacuum
Wo Fat - Midnight Cometh
Mare Cognitum - Luminiferous Aether
Asphyx
...blah tired of typing

The Vektor album was good, but it is kind of overlong and had too much filler. Concept albums tend to end up like that, especially when they try to tell a story, and this was no exception. Albums like this tend to get shelved by me once I give it a couple listens and digest the concept.

Im also surprised at the relative love that Dystopia is getting. I dont even think I got through the entire album in one sitting yet, very boring and run of the mill thrash with shitty modern production, too much chug, not enough riffs, and too much unnecessary soloing.

The best thing ive heard from 2016 was probably Eternal Champion, but overall most of what I heard wasnt that impressive. Chthe'ilist deserves a mention though, even if it is slightly derivative at times.

My top 20 Metal cds of 2016:
1. Ihsahn - Arktis. cd
2. Avatar - Feathers & Flesh cd
3. Otep - Generation Doom cd
4. Theocracy - Ghost Ship cd...
5. The Vision Bleak - The Unknown cd
6. Darkend - The Canticle of Shadows cd
7. Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct cd
8. Van Canto - Voices of Fire cd
9. Saor - Guardians cd
10. Sig:Ar:Tyr - Northen cd
11. Devildriver - Trust No One cd
12. Vektor - Terminal Redux cd
13. Pellek - A Marvelous Method of Reclusion cd
14. Pain - Coming Home cd
15. Sabaton - The Last Stand cd
16. Volbeat - Seal the Deal & Let's Boogie cd
17. Hellyeah - Unden!able cd
18. Entombed A.D. - Dead Dawn cd
19. King 810 - La Petite Mort Or A Conversation With God cd
20. Funeris - Nocturnes for Grim Orchestra cd & Ghostly, Gloomy Notes cd

This is the only metal album from 2016 that I wanted to listen to daily. Although it also arrived closer to the year's end too.

Anciients-Voice-of-the-Void-album-art.jpg

I gotta say of all things from last year Ihsahn and D666 have grown on me the most. I don't know if they would be in the top 10 but would be serious contenders for the 6-10 spots.

Nekro Drunkz - Lavatory Carnage
Smut - Slop
Barrow Wight - Kings In Sauron's Service
Legendry - Mists Of Time
Angel Sword - Rebels Beyond The Pale
Eternal Champion - The Armor Of Ire
Witch Vomit - A Scream From The Tomb Below
Demon Bitch - Hellfriends
Church Of Disgust - Veneration Of Filth

If I had heard much more at the time I did this list, it would've looked like this:

1. Nekro Drunkz - Lavatory Carnage
2. Wytch Hazel - Prelude
3. Hammers of Misfortune - Dead Revolution
4. Spiritus Mortis - The Year Is One
5. Lord Vicar - Gates of Flesh
6. Fates Warning - Theories of Flight
7. Angel Sword - Rebels Beyond the Pale
8. Demon Bitch - Hellfriends
9. Barrow Wight - Kings in Sauron's Service
10. Holyarrow - Oath of Allegiance

Dark Forest - Beyond the Veil
Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder
Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire
Ravensire - The Cycle Never Ends
Blizaro - Cornucopia della Morte
Infant Death - Violent Rites
Gehennah - Too Loud to Live, Too Drunk to Die
Moros Nyx - Revolution Street
Reptilian - Perennial Void Traverse
Legendry - Mists of Time
Smut - Slop
High Spirits - Motivator
Witch Vomit - A Scream from the Tomb Below
Ancient Empire - Other World
Hellbringer - Awakened from the Abyss
Savage Master - With Whips and Chains
HammerFall - Built to Last
Quicksand Dream - Beheading Tyrants
Embalmer - Emanations From the Crypt
Whipstriker - Only Filth Will Prevail
Church Of Disgust - Veneration of Filth
Sumerlands - Sumerlands
Blazon Stone - War of the Roses
Running Wild - Rapid Foray
Grand Magus - Sword Songs
Attacker - Sins of the World
Blaze Bayley - Infinite Entanglement
Denouncement Pyre - Black Sun Unbound
Profanatica - The Curling Flame of Blasphemy
Rotör - Musta Käsi
Nuke - Nuke

Last edited:
the one you quoted wasn't actually your finalised list iirc, it was this:
  1. Quicksand Dream - Beheading Tyrants
  2. Lord Vicar - Gates Of Flesh
  3. Demon Bitch - Hellfriends
  4. Infant Death - Violent Rites
  5. Spiritus Mortis - The Year Is One
  6. Angel Sword - Rebels Beyond The Pale
  7. Eternal Champion - The Armor Of Ire
  8. Blood Incantation - Starspawn
  9. Wytch Hazel - Prelude
  10. Darkthrone - Arctic Thunder

Reactions: CiG
I like how you had no response to my argument a year ago but pretend that quoting a fragment of it today somehow proves you right.

Your argument that Korn is good because it had influence or impact on other bands? The problem here might be that you thought you had a better point than you actually did. Korn fucking suck.

No, the irony of a guy that likes the most retrospective and trite black/speed/alcoholic metal garbage and wants to make claims about what people would or wouldn't like if it was contemporary.

Every person I know who likes Korn personally prioritizes a connection the band has to their childhood and teenaged years, so it was based on that. By contrast, my taste for "black/speed/alcoholic metal garbage" isn't based on any kind of nostalgia because I didn't grow up listening to anything like that and didn't even get into metal music until I was 15/16.

So... I mean, it's not exactly ironic even if you disagree with my conclusions about Korn.

Also, Korn and nu-metal in general, like grunge, encapsulates a very specific time and this is magnified by the fact that there aren't exactly thousands of bands keeping those genres alive in modern times, so those bands really appeal to the human desire to feel homesick for a time (as opposed to a place).

Why aren't there hordes of bands playing that music style and why does that clash with the fact that those bands are still incredibly popular?

That's cool, because I didn't first listen to a Korn album until I was already 21 and deep into 80s metal, but found certain aspects of them immediately compelling and interesting after putting away my preconceived biases against them. Maybe it's because you only ask people in a context where they are embarrassed to admit enjoying them. The point is that if no one likes Korn outside of nostalgia purposes, less than no one likes Goatbrew Alcosodomydozer no matter what NWN clique may feel otherwise.

Somehow I doubt anything you do can be generalized across any group of people, especially music-based.

The point remains, if nostalgia doesn't play a huge part in why Korn is loved right now, why aren't there hordes of bands keeping the style alive. Seems to me, much like boy bands, lots of people like Korn but nobody wants to play music like Korn.