Top 10 Metal Albums of 2016

1. Mortillery - "Shapeshifter"
1. Madder Mortem - "Red in Tooth and Claw"
1. Watchtower - "Concepts of Math: Book One"
4. Voivod - "Post Society"

Since no. 1 is a draw between three bands, they all get ((10 + 9 + 8) : 3 =) 9 points.

You thought that Mortillery album was good? Her voice ruins it for me.

My final list.
One album I missed that would have placed top 20 was Uada's debut.

1. Katatonia – The Fall of Hearts
    Had a hard time with this in the beginning, especially the weird vocal lines, but I love it
  2. pg.lost - Versus
    Awesome album
  3. Megadeth – Dystopia
    The surprise of the year. Its almost as good as Countdown To Extinction. Dave shows Metallica how thrash is supposed to be done.
  4. Dark Tranquillity – Atoma
    Not as good as many of the reviews says, pretty standard DT album imo but its still really good quality melodeath.
  5. Insomnium – Winters Gate
    Lost interest in Insomnium after Above The Weeping World (2006) but this conceptalbum is really good, and interesting for an insomnium-album. Its no Crimson but its really good.
  6. Trees Of Eternity – Hour of the Nightingale
    This one has grown a lot the last few weeks, amazing album with lots of emotions and Aleahs passing makes some songs really deep and sad
  7. Diabolical – Umbra (EP)
    Probably the best EP I have heardf since Unblessing The Purity.
  8. TID – Fix Idé
    Somewhat of a disappointment, its too short.
  9. Cauldron – In Ruin
    The best Heavy Metal I have heard in a long time.
  10. Meshuggah– The Violent Sleep of Reason
    I was really disappointed with this, was hoping for more groove like obZen, but it has a few good tracks.
  11. Ghost – Popestar (EP)
  12. If These Trees Could Talk – The Bones of a Dying World
  13. Witherscape – The Northern Sanctuary
  14. Alcest – Kodama
  15. Lacrimas Profundere – Hope is Here
  16. Abbath – Abbath
  17. Metallica – Hardwired to Self-Destruct
  18. Cult Of Luna and Julia Christmas - Mariner
  19. Sumerlands - Sumerlands
  20. ColdWorld – Autumn
  21. Mithras – On Strange Loops

Last edited:
Seriously? Tempted to check it out.. it's at least better than worship music right?

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who appreciated Worship Music. I think it is a great album, easily Anthrax's best since Persistence of Time, and the best album released by any of the "big four" in the last 20 years. For All King is good, but not as great as Worship Music. For those interested in giving it a listen I recommend the title track, or one of the following songs: Defend/Avenge, All of Them Thieves, This Battle Chose Us, Zero Tolerance.

You thought that Mortillery album was good? Her voice ruins it for me.
Initially, I was somewhat disappointed by this album and this impression also had something to do with the vocals. While I still think that the vocals on some of the songs are too "extreme"/overdone (or whatever one should call it) and that I would have prefered them more in the vein of the two first albums, this album seems to have grown on me and eventually, it became my most-played album in 2016.

That Mistur took me by surprise, I need to check out the rest of these. I did hear a bit of that Behexen and remember liking it.
Yeah, Mistur is probably at least in my personal top 5, wish I saw it mentioned more. They were the band that I thought carried the torch for Windir (a band I LOVE) more than any other, and I was impressed with their latest album (also check out their first album if you haven't). Behexen got my attention originally with "By the Blessing of Satan", but I also loved the new one despite the difference in vocals/sound. If you're going by my list and dig Mistur, you would most likely also like Moonsorrow and Fimbultyr.
I also bought the new stuff from Rimfrost and Metallica, and plan to get Witchery, Ravencult and Necrot as far as 2016 releases go.

Did you really put Metallica ahead of Mithras?!

The Mithras, and Coldworld records are great. And the Trees of Eternity record is also impressive. Definitely caught me off guard.

15-21 is really hard to even grade. I find Mithras cool and interesting but can never listen to the entire album without geting bored. I guess Metallica gets a bit higher rating than it deserves because on history, hype and that they went in the right direction.

My Top Ten for 2016 (in no particular order):

1. Be'lakor - Vessels
2. Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary
3. Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire
4. Khemmis - Hunted
5. Vektor - Terminal Redux
6. Sumerlands - S/T
7. Blood Incantation - Starspawn
8. Insomnium - Winter's Gate
9. Haken - Affinity
10. Spiritus Mortis - The Year is One

So, there you have it. I'll post a list of honorable mentions as well because this was quite an exciting year for metal.

My Top Ten for 2016 (in no particular order):

1. Be'lakor - Vessels
2. Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary
3. Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire
4. Khemmis - Hunted
5. Vektor - Terminal Redux
6. Sumerlands - S/T
7. Blood Incantation - Starspawn
8. Insomnium - Winter's Gate
9. Haken - Affinity
10. Spiritus Mortis - The Year is One

So, there you have it. I'll post a list of honorable mentions as well because this was quite an exciting year for metal.

Haven't heard the new Bel'akor yet, thanks for reminding me to check it out