Top 10 Metal Albums of 2016

Edit: I lied. Gave Uada another spin. A good album for sure, but not top 10.

This was by far the year I've stayed most current in (ever) and I have a little more variety than past years. Still, I pretty clearly show my sub-genre biases so this is in practice a list of the year's strong atmospheric/melodic BM releases with a splash of other stuff. In 2017 I'm going to try to delve into Stoner/Sludge, Dungeonsynth and Neofolk more as they're all genres I enjoy greatly but admit my exposure is lacking.

Top 10

Cobalt - Slow Forever
Fyrnask - Fórn
Hyperion - Seraphical Euphony
Kvalvaag - Malum (bizarre symph-ish BM, check it out!)
Mare Cognitum - Luminiferous Aether
Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
Oranssi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä
Sunnata - Zorya
Urfaust - Empty Space Meditation
Vektor - Terminal Redux

Honorable Mentions (tags for less known stuff)

Ash Borer
Astral Path (atmo/ambient BM)
Cult of Luna/Julie Christmas
Desaster (BM/Thrash)
Destroyer 666
Eternal Champion
Frozen Forest (BM, more harsh/lo-fi than my standard)
Forteresse
Forndom (neofolk)
Galdur (dungeonsynth)
Grand Magus
Latitudes
Sig:ar:tyr
Spaceslug (stoner/psych)
Uada
Wardruna (neofolk)
Witherscape
Yith (black/doom)

Letdowns

Bolzer - I dig the title track but compared to the last two EPs...
Opeth - Meh. The worst since Watershed.
Saor - It just felt less than inspired, if not forced.
Zaum - Way too ambient compared to the GODLY 'Oracles' prior. Good background music maybe.
Zhrine - It loses its effect greatly with more listens, but I was in love on the first listen.

Last edited:
Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
Oranssi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä
Both of these are in my honorable mentions.
Letdowns

Bolzer
, Opeth, Saor, Zaum, Zhrine

Fucking hell, no kidding. Especially with prog metal like Terminal Redux and The Northern Sanctuary having come out this year. Sorceress, especially, was an absolute bore. This is coming from the same band that released Still Life, Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park, Morningrise, Deliverance, Damnation (which was pure prog rock but actually had great songwriting and sound unlike Sorceress), etc.

I'm finished early. No way I have the patience to comb through the 43 regular full lengths I bought in time for end of month.

Here is the Top 10 of what I got completed. Some of these were going to end up on my Top 10 after hearing them initially.

In no particular order:

Megadeth - Dystopia
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence
Meshuggah - The Violent Sleep of Reason
Opeth - Sorceress
Inhereit Disease - Ephemeral
Metal Church - XI
Revocation - Great Is Our Sin
Defeated Sanity - Disposal of the Dead/Dharmata
Blood Incantation - Starspawn
Abnormality - Mechanisms of Omniscience

Honorable Mentions:
Warfather - The Grey Eminence (Huge improvement over the debut. Sounds like Tucker-era MA...I wonder why?)
Anthrax - For All Kings
Serpentine Dominion - S/T
Striker - Stand in the Fire

Disappointments:
Brutality - Sea of Ignorance (really guys? This is some of the blandest shit and unexpected considering how solid your past material is)
Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts (after how strong DEK was, this was a step backward. Probably as bad as NITND.)
Abbath - S/T (Go back to Immortal)
Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows II (Boring af considering the first Book of Shadows is phenomenal)

Best local album:
Stagecoach Inferno - A Town Called Atonement (wild west themed trad. Check it out on Spotify.)

Last edited:
Top 10

1. Mutant - Pleiades
2. Substratum - s/t
3. Bewitcher - s/t
4. Nukem - The Unholy Trinity
5. Existance - Breaking The Rock
6. Anger As Art - Ad Mortem Festinamus
7. Flotsam & Jetsam - s/t
8. Sanktuary - Winter's Doom
9. Exumer - The Raging Tides
10. Olyphant - Expedition To The Barrier Peaks

Letdowns

Metal Church
Kryptos

Not sure if I'd say its the absolute best album of their career this soon but it really is a monster of an album, even more massive sounding than Koloss. I've heard some people complain about the supposed "lack" of groove but the grooves are still there, they're just a bit more subtle than on the last few albums. It might take a few listens for everything to sink in as its certainty one of their most dense and challenging albums but once it all clicks you'll be addicted.

Hopefully it is ... because i tried listening to Koloss again today and it did almost nothing for me this time around. Kind of made me remember why i'm not much of a fan of theirs. Listening to their vocalist for more than a track or two is not possible for me, does that guy ever shut the fuck up?