Top 5 guitarists

metropolisimages said:
Name your top 5 most inovative guitarists STILL alive and active musically.

1) Mattias IA Eklundh (Freak Kitchen) (Anyone NOT think I'd mention him?) :D
2) Ron Thal aka Bumblefoot
3) Steve Vai
4) Paul Gilbert
5) Mike Romeo

J-Dubya

My top 5 favorite guitarist aren't within the prog or power genres, if any to be honest. They're not necessesarily in any particular order either.

Jake E. Lee, John Sykes, John Norum, Vivian Campbel, and Doug Aldrich

1. Mattias IA Eklundh
2. Rusty Cooley
3. Dushan Petrocci
4. Michael Romeo
5. Robin Trower

Michael Romeo, Zakk Wylde, Tony McAlpine, Rick Renstrom and Joe Stump.

Vai and Satch are obvious choices, but I wanted to mix things up. And yea, I still like Yngwie. Wish Dave Dipeitro were still active, then he might make the list.

Harvester said:
I'm actually curious as to how anyone could leave him off their list.

Glenn H.

Well, it gives US (The IA fans) something to be "f'd up prog" snobbish about! :D

I feel the same way, but I know from experience w/2 of my friend's that they are turned off by the "goofiness" factor, which I percieve to be very minimal, but I like Zappa, Keneally, and Ron Thal almost as much so figure that in accordingly :) Both were "turned" by some footage that a friend of mine shot for me (with IA's blessing) at NAMM this year, just playing along with DAT.
He just balls out fucking shreds. It's quite a site to behold, and I CAN'T wait to see it live. You da' man, and if you don't let me buy you a drink at some point during the fest weekend, I'll be really mad! :heh:

J-Dubya
NP: Masterplan - Aeronautics

In no particular order...

1. John Petrucci
2. Michael Romeo
3. Victor Smolski (suprised no one has listed him)
4. Jari Maenpaa (not the most technically gifted, but I love the music)
5. Jorn Viggo Lofstad

No order

John Petrucci
Michael Romeo
Stanley Jordan (is he still active)
Malmsteen
Vai

Harvester said:
Glenn H.

Watch....
Glenn Tipton
K.K. Downing
Adrian Smith
Ritchie Blackmoore
Eddie Van Halen

Harvester said:
He's an impressive player no doubt, and I'm looking forward to hearing him at the upcoming ProgPower. However, I find Eklundh is most impressive when he sounds like he's channeling Steve Vai. That said, I left Vai off my list because everything he's done since "Passion and Warfare" has sounded like he's more interested in feeding his ego than playing great music.

Zod

metropolisimages said:
Name your top 5 most inovative guitarists STILL alive and active musically.

Top five active most innovatitive metal guitarists....... these aren't to be confused with my "favorites" mind you..

1) Yngwie. I grew bored with this guy back in the late 80's, but he almost single-handedly created the neo-classical shredder movement. Like him or not, he created a sub-genre of metal. Few individuals can say that of themselves.

2) Angus. (This would normally go to Eddie or Wolff Hoffman, but they don't appear to be "active" right now) ---- I bet there are guitarists throwing shit at their Line 6 amps right now as I .... ummm... type, because they can't get a sound dialed in that pegs a tone Angus had over 25 years ago. Is that innovative ? Absolutley. While AC/DC was more of a hard rock band, Angus set a very high standard for what metal guitar should sound like. Blistering tone.

3) Stevie Vai. He is a true "out of the box" player who excelled in playing in any style he wants. A ture master of his craft like few others. He has always been a little too "out of the box" in his solo efforts for me and I am not a big fan, but I have tremendous respect for him.

4) Mattias Eklundh. See my comments on Vai. Mattias does things with a guitar that simply hasn't been done before. I find him a bit weird, but I respect the fact, that in 2006 he is still taking guitar to unexplored regions.

5) John Petrucci. It was tough to pick number five, but Petrucci is the quitessential prog-metal guitarist. His work (along with the rest of DT) defined the sub-genre. Excellent musician who understudied the greats and it shows.

Bryant