Top 5 guitarists

Ok,nobody responded with these names...or at least a few of these names..
1. Jim Matheos...need I say more?
2. Al Pitrelli...his work in Savatage is awesome!
3. John Petrucci of course
4. Chris Caffery...he saved the savatage sound after Cris died
5. Jake E Lee...Badlands is the best bluesy rock band...Ever!
6. Alex Skolnick in the early Testament years
7. Dan DeLucci and Perry Grayson from Destinys End...they brought back the old Helstar style for Mr Rivera and created two masterpieces
8. Markus Stefan from Sieges Even...always interesting
9. Ron Jarzombek...Watchtower,Spastic Ink...nuff said
10. Vinnie Moore...never let me down since the Time Oddyssee era

Any comments on this list...feel free to slay me

Favorites, no order:

George Lynch
Michael Schenker
Gary Moore
Yngwie Malmsteen
Tony MacAlpine
Vinnie Moore
John Norum
John Sykes
Akira Takasaki
Greg Howe

Sorry, couldn't limit it to 5 :)

MysticX9 said:
Favorites, no order:

George Lynch
Michael Schenker
Gary Moore
Yngwie Malmsteen
Tony MacAlpine
Vinnie Moore
John Norum
John Sykes
Akira Takasaki
Greg Howe

Great list!!! Echoes mine!!!

Bear

metropolisimages said:
Ok, now that we know who many of the greats are in everyones minds.... Who would you say are the 5 worst of all time???

CC Deville

Mick Mars

Rob Weir (from the original pre-Sykes Tygers of Pan Tang..I think that's his name)

The original guitar player in Venom

Stephen Ross - The last of the Shrapnel shred guitarist cd I bought. I guess maybe it doesn't suck, but it'll put you to sleep quicker than 1000mg of morphine.

IMHFO, of course!

J-Dubya

Very cool list... I forgot Akira totally... :(

MysticX9 said:
Favorites, no order:

George Lynch
Michael Schenker
Gary Moore
Yngwie Malmsteen
Tony MacAlpine
Vinnie Moore
John Norum
John Sykes
Akira Takasaki
Greg Howe

Kerry King from Slayer is the worst lead guitar player ever. I like Slayer and his ryhthm playing is great but his solos are crap.

Chris Impelliteri. No one has said less with more notes.

Kelly Gray. He should stick to producing Candlebox records. The first in a long, continuing line of bad decisions by Tate.

Who was that guy from Nitro? see Impelliteri, Chris

Me. So what do I know?

Txhoser----how can you even say Impellitteri is a bad guitarist???? I'd really like to see you play 1/100 as good as him. Impellitteri is a virtuoso who can be compared to the likes of malmsteen. Obviously, one of the fastest guitarists on the planet....

I liken Impelliteri to Yngwie, great in small or medium doses, but I will say Yngwie has more soul. I can kind of understand where TXHOSER is coming from, but I remain a fan of BOTH guitarists.

The guy from Nitro - Mike "Angelo" Batio - I remember Mike Batio back when he played in the local Chicago area band Holland. Great band, only put out 1 record/cd IIRC, called Little Monsters. At the time, Batio was the up & coming "guitar god" of the local scene. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING he's done since then has bored me shitless. Even went and saw his band play a few years ago, and I wished I hadn't. It's the same ol' speedy shit he was doing in Holland, and his Dean/Marshall combination sounded like shit. While I wouldn't say he "sucks", he sure hasn't progressed much, and his music is about as stale as a dead raccoon (no offense Rocky...lol) frying on the highway in summer.

J-Dubya

yoshi14 said:
Txhoser----how can you even say Impellitteri is a bad guitarist???? I'd really like to see you play 1/100 as good as him. Impellitteri is a virtuoso who can be compared to the likes of malmsteen. Obviously, one of the fastest guitarists on the planet....

I admitted that I'm a terrible guitar player. I'm on the list. I also pointed out that he is fast. Shredders are a dime a dozen in the years since Ynwie came on the scene. I enjoy older Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, MacAlpine, Vinnie Moore, Patrucci, etc I just think he is the most uncreative of the lot.

TXHOSER said:
Most of the regulars have already been covered but if you want something a little different check out Monte Montgomery. He's like a cross between Eddie Van Halen and Stevie Ray but almost all acoustic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i0Zza8kMMU&search=monte montgomery

Unfortunatly this was all I could find. It's a cover so you don't get the full picture of how different he really is. He has won best acoustic guitar player in Austin for about the last eight years and has been featured in several guitar magazines.
Check him out. You won't be dissapointed.

Saw Montgomery at Antone's in Beaumont. Very good stuff. He needs to tour with Eric Johnson. Would be a good show!

rottingflesh said:
Andy LaRocque
Jeff Loomis
Steve Vai
Mustaine
Trey Azagthoth
Why thank you for mentioning Andy LaRocque. He is probably my favorite guitarist, and is pretty underrated overall. I'm also a pretty big Dave Mustaine fan as well. Loomis is also a big favorite.

Britt

TwizstedJesus said:
Ok,nobody responded with these names...or at least a few of these names..
1. Jim Matheos...need I say more?
2. Al Pitrelli...his work in Savatage is awesome!
3. John Petrucci of course
4. Chris Caffery...he saved the savatage sound after Cris died
5. Jake E Lee...Badlands is the best bluesy rock band...Ever!
6. Alex Skolnick in the early Testament years
7. Dan DeLucci and Perry Grayson from Destinys End...they brought back the old Helstar style for Mr Rivera and created two masterpieces
8. Markus Stefan from Sieges Even...always interesting
9. Ron Jarzombek...Watchtower,Spastic Ink...nuff said
10. Vinnie Moore...never let me down since the Time Oddyssee era

Any comments on this list...feel free to slay me

No slaying here dude! You're smart enough to mention Jake E Lee, Badlands, and Savatage guitarist in the same thread is enough to win my heart over! :headbang: