Top Five Favorite Metal Singers

I wrote about this in another thread but don't mind repeating.

Tarja's husband became her manager and would frequently intrude on Nightwish business, even though the band was collectively repped by a group in Finland called King Foo.

The stunt would go like this: KF would negotiate a deal, then Marcello would come in after the deal was agreed as the manager of Tarja and demand 20% more. People grumbled but agreed.

In 2005, KF scored a few dates with Maiden in Poland and Marcello pulled that shit again. Well, you don't do that to Rod Smallwood. Nightwish got bounced from the tour. KF quickly came in and said ignore him, the original deal stands, and fortunately, Nightwish were back on the tour. When they met, Harris told Tuomas he was a big Nightwish fan and owned all of their albums.

All of this is in the book 'Once Upon a Nightwish.'

Marcello got away with this shit because Nightwish were passive. Tuomas is too much of a pushover. Imagine an outsider trying to meddle with Maiden, or Metallica, or Slayer. Do you think for one minute Steve, James or Kerry would tolerate a second of that?

Or even Lacuna Coil. Christina is married to a member of Slipknot so he knows better, but imagine if her husband tried that shit and got LC bounced temporarily from a Maiden tour. As an Italian I can assure you the male members of LC would take care of business and that dude would be lucky to walk away under his own power.

Tuomas needs to grow a spine.

I have to give this some more thought but at the moment will agree with Kirsten about Ripper Owens. When we toured South America with his band(s), he just blew me away every night with his consistency and his powerful voice! He was on every single night and yet the most humbly sarcastically humorous person around. Nice guy!!! Loves his music and appreciative of the cards he has been dealt. Amazing voice live as well as recorded! The real deal! :kickass:

The whole Nightwish story saddens me. I'm not going to go into it........I just heard some things at a gig we did where they were headlining and it just makes me sad to think what a level of success can do to people. Not knocking their talent here. Enough said, cuz I'm not sayin no more. Anyway............

Jenna. E.O.G and Kirsten, thank you for the compliments on Gigi and her voice!! I always loved her voice from the moment I first heard her at the very first Phantom Blue "jam". She still sounds the same today! I hope to hear her on some project soon. She needs to be heard again!!

The whole Nightwish story saddens me. I'm not going to go into it........I just heard some things at a gig we did where they were headlining and it just makes me sad to think what a level of success can do to people. Not knocking their talent here. Enough said, cuz I'm not sayin no more. Anyway............

Oh no, dear, you can't tease that and back off. When did the Maidens share a bill with Nightwish?

I wrote about this in another thread but don't mind repeating.

Tarja's husband became her manager and would frequently intrude on Nightwish business, even though the band was collectively repped by a group in Finland called King Foo.

The stunt would go like this: KF would negotiate a deal, then Marcello would come in after the deal was agreed as the manager of Tarja and demand 20% more. People grumbled but agreed.

In 2005, KF scored a few dates with Maiden in Poland and Marcello pulled that shit again. Well, you don't do that to Rod Smallwood. Nightwish got bounced from the tour. KF quickly came in and said ignore him, the original deal stands, and fortunately, Nightwish were back on the tour. When they met, Harris told Tuomas he was a big Nightwish fan and owned all of their albums.

Marcello got away with this shit because Nightwish were passive. Tuomas is too much of a pushover. Imagine an outsider trying to meddle with Maiden, or Metallica, or Slayer. Do you think for one minute Steve, James or Kerry would tolerate a second of that?

Or even Lacuna Coil. Christina is married to a member of Slipknot so he knows better, but imagine if her husband tried that shit and got LC bounced temporarily from a Maiden tour. As an Italian I can assure you the male members of LC would take care of business and that dude would be lucky to walk away under his own power.

Wow, what a complete dick he seems. Tarja was never Nightwish, she was just the singer, but he seems to have given her ideas above her station. Sounds like the best thing they ever did was get rid of her. Thanks for that info.

This is a tough one. As Kirsten commented early on, how are we defining metal? I mean, I don't view Deep Purple as metal, but Ian Gillian kicks ass. David Coverdale is another. I recently saw him on tour and I was blown away at how well he still nails the high notes. But, I don't view his music as heavy metal either. On the flip side, Metallica's early years kicks major ass but look at James Hetfield's singing. It's almost like not singing. I can't even think of a song where he hits the high notes. Melodic? Not really. So is it a case of the music influences their singing? I dunno. But there is definitely something there that sounds great. Aside from that, there is one singer that stands out to me. All the others are great or really good.

1 - Rob Halford
2 - Geoff Tate
3 - Paul DiAnno/Bruce Dickinson
4 - Ronnie James Dio
5 - Udo Dirkschneider

Honorable mentions:
1 - Tim Ripper Owens, he definitely has a great voice, but many times it's like he doesn't use it to it's potential. It's almost like he teases.
2 - David Wayne

A few years ago, I watched an interview of Tuomas and was floored by how human and kind he comes across as. There is just a depth and decency about him that I wasn't used to seeing / hearing. He just doesn't have that wickedness in him that other people would call a "business sense". The man is an artist. His music speaks for itself and he is a man who doesn't like confrontation. To me there is nothing worse than a talented musician or artist who is an ugly human being.

Here's my list, but I'm going to preface this by saying I wouldn't go to the wall for anyone as being "the best" metal singer. Like everyone's been saying, it's totally subjective. So here are the 5 singers I guess I most enjoy listening to in the general metal genre, off the top of my head and in no particular order.

Kai Hansen
Russell Allen
Phil Anselmo
Randy Blythe
Chuck Billy

Any appreciation for Ralf Scheepers of Primal Fear? Priest nearly hired him instead of Owens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some weird choices from me, but I dont just go on singing talent, I am also looking into how they match the music.

1/ Ozzy osbourne
2/ Mike Muir
3/ Nick Holmes -Paradise Lost
4/ Phil Anselmo
5/ Blaze Baily (wolfsbaine days)

I found that Nightwish track I referenced earlier in this post. Listen to Tarja speak in the beginning, and sing, and remember she was about 19 when she did this. This was before she got deep into her opera training.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfPRxY5zv-M&feature=fvst[/ame]

I'm really late to this thread, but here are mine, in no particular order:
Bruce Dickinson
Sebastian Bach
Russell Allen
Eric Martin (maybe not "metal")
Geoff Tate

Here's my top five but mine are the female singers.
1. Tarja Turnunen
2. Anette olzen
3. Christina Scabbia
4. Angela Gossow
5. Simone Simons