Top folk metal releases this year

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Curious on what people would recommend from this year. My list of folk metal purchases is kinda short so far... though loving the new Cruachan.

You know, as much as I love Manegarm, I haven't really listened to the new one that much, opposed to Vredins Tid which I've listened to 534346302050.4896345 times (its in my car now, actually). Maybe I just never really gave it a proper sit down listen.

I was the same way. I love Vredins Tid and I didn't like this new one so I didn't listen to it the whole year until recently were it grew on me. I still prefer Vredins Tid though.

You know, as much as I love Manegarm, I haven't really listened to the new one that much, opposed to Vredins Tid which I've listened to 534346302050.4896345 times (its in my car now, actually). Maybe I just never really gave it a proper sit down listen.

I find the Manegarm to be a nice blend of Dodsfard and Vredens Tid. Dodsfard had a heavy influence on the black metal side of the folk/viking stylings, with some epic head-banging moments thrown in. Then, Vredens Tid was just dirty, heavy, ballsey and epic, but it seemed like it traded away some of the black metal speed and abrasiveness to get there.

The latest album is a crazy mash-up of these two albums. Heavy and folky and in-you-face epic, but it ramped up the speed and general attack of the songs. I really dig it, but I'm betting that some other people who were listening when Dodsfard and Vredens Tid were released could find this kida tiresome in execution. I dunno.

Being a fan of Manegarm, I'm ashamed to only have one of their albums. Sheesh, I should really pick up another, aye?

Indeed, sir! What do you have?

Unless you like more black-oriented Viking metal, I'd say get their latest 3 albums and their folk release. Otherwise the first two may be your cup of tea. The drummer/vocalist on their latest work is really fucking good though.

A few of my favorites from this year:

Arkona-Ot Serdsa k Nebu
Saltatio Mortis-Aus Der Asche
Cruachan-The Morrigan's Call
Manegarm-Vargstenen

I still need to pick up a Manegarm album. I didn't think much of their live show but I've been listening to some of their music and I think I'll give them a shot.