Recommend me Folk Music

Death Aflame

voice of dissent
Feb 1, 2004
Folk metal is fine too, but with a strong emphasis on the Folk side of things. I have really became quite interested in the actual folk genre after hearing some great stuff by Fejd (and to a lesser extent Agalloch and some early In Flames) . I am interested in particular on strong melodies from acoustic guitars but traditional folk instruments are great as well.

Also feel free to recommend anything you personally find particularily folky that doesn't fall under what I specified above.

Perhaps you should have made this thread in non-metal, since you are asking an emphasis on the folk side of things. If it's metal what you want, go get some Skyclad, and then every random folk-wannabe crap that will be named in the thread.
By the way an album that definetally is what you say here:
J Mann said:
I am interested in particular on strong melodies from acoustic guitars but traditional folk instruments are great as well.
..is "Turn Of The Wheel" by Tempest.

J Mann said:
Folk metal is fine too, but with a strong emphasis on the Folk side of things. I have really became quite interested in the actual folk genre after hearing some great stuff by Fejd (and to a lesser extent Agalloch and some early In Flames) . I am interested in particular on strong melodies from acoustic guitars but traditional folk instruments are great as well.

wow...I haven't met too many people who have heard Fejd, but they are a pretty awesome folk group. Sieben is also really good. You can also check out the following bands even though a couple are more neo folk:
In Gowan Ring
Naervaer (highly recommend checking them out)
Tenhi
Harmaa
Hagalaz Runedance
Nest

there's loads of others

unknown said:
wow...I haven't met too many people who have heard Fejd, but they are a pretty awesome folk group. Sieben is also really good. You can also check out the following bands even though a couple are more neo folk:
In Gowan Ring
Naervaer (highly recommend checking them out)
Tenhi
Harmaa
Hagalaz Runedance
Nest

there's loads of others
+ October Falls
+ Current 93
+ Sol Invictus
+ Nature and Organisation
+ Of The Wand and Of The Moon
+ Death In June
+ Empyrium
+ Fire + Ice
+ Darkwood

Nokturnal is with a k. (Yeah I know, it make no sense) and I think he's asking for lighter folk than that... Though he should still listen to them!

a good metal band with folk influences: wuthering heights.

BUT if you really want to get into some good folk music. i suggest looking for folk festivals around summer time and go to a couple. you are bound to findsomething to your liking.

my guitar teacher is an insane banjoist/guitarist. he plays a lot of celtic influenced stuff as well as bluegrass.

Really, reading your first post, you want an emphasis on Folk rather than Folk Metal. Alas, I'm a metal head, not a folkie, but I would say that Skyclad are your best bet - specifically "The Answer Machine" and "Ouis Avent Garde A Chance", which were almost pure folk.

Personally, I think that Skyclad were (are?) one of the best bands of all time, regardless of genre. This was due, in no small part, to the lyrical genius of Martin Walkyier. Their earlier (and later!) Walkyier era stuff was thrashy folk metal, but always excellent.

Playing black metal and adding a few choral sections and under produced synthesisers do not a folk band make.

Krigloch the Furious said:
I second this recommendation and would like to add the following:

Garmarna (several full-length video-clips available on their website)
Hedningarna (try to find their album "Trä")
Två Fisk Och En Fläsk (download the mp3s you´ll find in the "Music"-section)
Värttinnä
Burlakat
Gåte (one videoclip - "Bendik & Årolilja" - available for downloading and another one - "Sjå attende" - for streaming)

For more stuff from Northern Europe, visit Northside

Also check out Tom Russel´s "The Man From God Knows Where" (click on "preview" to listen to the sound-samples)

If you want to try some (mostly) acapella-stuff:

Suden Aika (mp3-samples are to be found in the "Musiikkia"-section)
The Bulgarian Voices "Angelite" (formerly known as Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares) - try to find the song "Legend" performed together with overtone singers Huun-Huur-Tu from Tuva (it´s on their album "Fly, Fly My Sadness")

np: Två Fisk Och En Fläsk - "Ella & Ola"