Martin Walyier.

Andre Matos.

Hansi Kursch.

Messiah Marcolin.

Rain Irving.

Brian Francis.

Michael Kiske.

to name a few.

One of my favorite old voices I forgot was James Dewar, rich and soulful. Excuse the song metalheads, its one of my favorites from the days of blacklights and smoke filled rooms but if you listen to the lyrics its about playing music... About to Begin

Last edited by a moderator:
A very good thread topic, because vocalists are usually what make a band for me or break it:

1. Russell Allen: Isn't it obvious?

2. Hansi Kursch:His voice is so unique and allows Blind Guardian to sound so very LOTR-ish. He is very versatile and one of the voices which brought me into metal (the first power metal song I ever heard was Mirror Mirror off NiME)

3. Marco Hietala: Though he sings well in Nightwish, he really shines in his own band Tarot. Check out the songs Stigmata () for good example of his singing ability

4. Tarja Turunen: The first band I ever really loved. Tarja has such a beautiful operatic voice

5. Damien Wilson: Though I liked what he did with Threshold, I much prefer his voice on Into The Electric Castle by Ayreon. My personal favorite song w/ Damien's vocals for Threshold is Eat The Unicorn ()

6. Jorn Lande: Another artist I discovered through Ayreon; Most of you probably already know him from Allen/Lande.

7. Anneke Van Giersbergen: Such a beautiful voice, I can't say much more than that. Her voice honestly rivals Tarjas.

8. Devin Townsend: Never liked screaming/grunting, but whatever is is Devin does he does it well enough for me to bear it, or moreso LIKE it. I also enjoy his usual singing voice.

9. Andrew McDermott: Of Threshold, his voice has such a nice melody to it and really gives Threshold a unique sound....I wish he didn't leave........

10. Annette Olzen: I don't understand why people don't like her. She fits "new" Nightwish perfectly; just because she doesn't have the Opera-style voice of Tarja doesn't mean she's bad

honorable mentions include Edward Reekers, Floor Jansen, Arjen Lucassen, Tobias Sammet, and Tom Englund.

Last edited by a moderator:
but he STILL sounds good; I think Arjen Lucassen put it best by saying he has a "big" Voice, its just doesn't have the range of someone like, Say, Russell or Jorn.

A lot of the best ones have already been mentioned.

Ray Alder(I am simply floored that somebody could hate him), Roy Khan, Arno Menses, Bruce Dickinson, Geddy Lee, Damian Wilson, Floor Jansen, Christina Scabbia, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Robert Plant,................................

Russell Allen simply has no equal.

But many other phenomenal ones have not yet been mentioned:

Roberto Tiranti aka Rob Tyrant(Labyrinth)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9raQQjahXk8&feature=PlayList&p=BE0F7532F968645C&playnext_from=PL&playnext=7&index=6[/ame]

David Byron(ex-Uriah Heep)

Kari Rueslatten(ex-The 3rd & The Mortal)

Pat Benatar(maybe not metal; but her extreme range of octaves simply cannot be denied and her pop "hits" simply don't do her justice)

Lana Lane(ex-Ayreon)

Midnight(ex-Crimson Glory)

Randy Jackson(Zebra)

Ann/Nancy Wilson(Heart)

Steve Walsh(Kansas)

Shiralee Morgan(Chalice)- sadly this magnificent Australian prog metal band have disbanded :cry:

If I had to pick a female vocalist who's the equivalent to Russell Allen; someone who had loads of range and passion, versatility, depth, and a proclivity for amazing melody it would have to be Sandi Saraya.
And super sadly, Saraya only released 2 albums. Had they not come out at the end of the 80's, I think they would have been at the forefront of female hard rock/metal and enjoyed a longer career.

But she can do it all; blues, metal, AOR- you name it. Anyway, here's a classic:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEb5t2gYZ0A&feature=PlayList&p=BE0F7532F968645C&playnext_from=PL&index=36[/ame]

A lot of the best ones have already been mentioned.

Ray Alder(I am simply floored that somebody could hate him), Roy Khan, Arno Menses, Bruce Dickinson, Geddy Lee, Damian Wilson, Floor Jansen, Christina Scabbia, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Robert Plant,................................

Russell Allen simply has no equal.

But many other phenomenal ones have not yet been mentioned:

Roberto Tiranti aka Rob Tyrant(Labyrinth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9raQ...2F968645C&playnext_from=PL&playnext=7&index=6

David Byron(ex-Uriah Heep)

Kari Rueslatten(ex-The 3rd & The Mortal)

Pat Benatar(maybe not metal; but her extreme range of octaves simply cannot be denied and her pop "hits" simply don't do her justice)

Lana Lane(ex-Ayreon)

Midnight(ex-Crimson Glory)

Randy Jackson(Zebra)

Ann/Nancy Wilson(Heart)

Steve Walsh(Kansas)

Shiralee Morgan(Chalice)- sadly this magnificent Australian prog metal band have disbanded :cry:

If I had to pick a female vocalist who's the equivalent to Russell Allen; someone who had loads of range and passion, versatility, depth, and a proclivity for amazing melody it would have to be Sandi Saraya.
And super sadly, Saraya only released 2 albums. Had they not come out at the end of the 80's, I think they would have been at the forefront of female hard rock/metal and enjoyed a longer career.

But she can do it all; blues, metal, AOR- you name it. Anyway, here's a classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEb5...&p=BE0F7532F968645C&playnext_from=PL&index=36

we have much in common, glad you mentioned Benetar, The Wilsons, Damian, Bryon, Walsh, I passed them by cause my list was looking kind of long.

Cant believe someone else actually knows Saraya, I still have the Blackbird ? tape. I wouldnt say anything special, more typical but solid back ground music when not brooding, Im appreaciating the 80's more than ever. Seems there is one song that stood out on the tape I have but its prolly been two + years since I played it.

we have much in common, glad you mentioned Benetar, The Wilsons, Damian, Bryon, Walsh, I passed them by cause my list was looking kind of long.

Cant believe someone else actually knows Saraya, I still have the Blackbird ? tape. I wouldnt say anything special, more typical but solid back ground music when not brooding, Im appreaciating the 80's more than ever. Seems there is one song that stood out on the tape I have but its prolly been two + years since I played it.

Indeed, some great stuff on the list, known and unknown. Always enjoy your posts, Prismatic Sphere.

^Yeah, I've heard maybe 3 songs where that guy sings and now I feel like I've heard everything he can do.

He sounds alright though but "limited" is the right word to describe the range.