Band recommendations similar...

Phanto - They're around. I guess some of them aren't haters, but many dislike the genre.

Mark - I also find new bands regularily. Leprous being one of the more recent ones! Also, I picked up the album "Hideout" by the band After. I love it.

It's nice to see the proggers uniting! Haha.

SymphonyXJapan - I was thinking the same thing about SX's last two albums, more-so PL. They'll definitely draw in the more straight-forward metal crowd than their earlier stuff, and it shows.

Dude, I have been obsessing over PoS for a long time now. Absolutely beautiful band. Like yourself, I am mostly about the music, not the vocals/lyrics, but Gildenlow is just brilliant. Perfect Element is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I've listened to it hundreds of times. It gets me every time.

Yes you were one of the people i was asking about POS thanks for your input I now have all there studio albums but scarsick I have been checking it out but not to sure i want to buy it yet i love them all but Be is tuff to really grasp but its good for a once in a while listen
I been listening to the myrath album alot i really like it very kick ass with class Great singer too!! I hear alot of people saying ripp off band, there is a little bit here and there but nothing as a whole sound of the band just showing there influences what a great first album IMO

To-Mera, some of the best prog I've heard yet. The album Delusions totally blew me away. I'm in love with Julie's vocals and the epic guitar work.

need some fresh ideas for bands similar to S-X that I may enjoy...hopefully someone will have a few great suggestions.
Dude, I'm so glad you asked this question. I too am a relatively new SX fan, and have been looking for another power/prog band as good as them. There are certain elements of SX music that are difficult to find elsewhere. The soaring yet powerful vocals, the symphonic element, the excellent songwriting and melodies, the virtuoso musicianship being some of them.

I have found only one band so far that fits all of these elements, and that is Kamelot. The band is mostly from Tampa, Florida, but the singer is from Norway.

Roy Khan is a very talented vocalist. He was an opera singer before he became a metal singer. He has a great low and high range. Just a tremendous voice. He sings in English, but can also sing in Spanish (and of course his native language).

Great musicianship. The guitars are maybe not as flashy. The keyboardist is classically trained. They use guest female vocalists with great effect. They do not have as many long songs, which is somewhat disappointing to me. Sometimes it seems like the song is just getting going when it ends. However, two aspects of Kamelot that I like better than SX are their lyrics and their song subject material.

In addition to the symphonic power/prog, they have some really powerful, emotional ballads. Here's a great song written by guitarist Thomas Youngblood about his dead father and performed live in Madrid. Kahn sings the song through once in English, then again in Spanish. Very cool. I can relate to this song, because my own father passed away 5 years ago. The first time I listened to the CD version of this song, I was in the gym wearing headphones, and as I was listening, I had to cover my face with my towel, because I was crying.

"Abandoned" is another tragic, terrific Kamelot ballad. In this version, Youngblood's wife Mari sings backup. I love tragic!!!

Something heavier for the earthdog in us all:

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Simone Simons is hot. Too bad her band is useless. She should join Kamelot as a mascot.
Kamelot are great. One of my favorite prog metal songs ever is King's Eyes (Siege Perilous is a masterpiece).
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgjwhKCBM9Y&feature=PlayList&p=8C40A9799963985F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31[/ame]

Try Kansas. Everybody loves Kansas.
Woot! I'll second that! At least two or three SX members site Kansas as one of their main influences. But you need to be selective, because quite frankly some Kansas CDs blow hash, like when the had a different vocalist for a while, or when they tried the "hair band" approach and failed miserably. Pick up a CD from one of the following:

Masque (skip the first song)
Leftoverture
Point of Know Return
Song For America
Somewhere to Elsewhere

There are metal elements in Kansas, but they are not a metal band. Some really great, symphonic prog here. But in my opinion, Steve Walsh was/is the best rock vocalist of all time. He's in his late 50's now and his voice is not in as good shape as it was. But back in the day... wow.... Our own Mr. Allen is sometimes compared to Walsh. Be sure to check them out!

Yes you were one of the people i was asking about POS thanks for your input I now have all there studio albums but scarsick I have been checking it out but not to sure i want to buy it yet i love them all but Be is tuff to really grasp but its good for a once in a while listen
I been listening to the myrath album alot i really like it very kick ass with class Great singer too!! I hear alot of people saying ripp off band, there is a little bit here and there but nothing as a whole sound of the band just showing there influences what a great first album IMO

I just checked out the Myrath myspace page and holy cow this is some good stuff! I can't believe I have never heard of these guys before being that the album "Hope" has been out for a good 2 years or more. I think I may have seen them before not knowing because I think I have randomly seen them on YouTube doing their live SyX cover songs from back in the day before they were a band with original music.

You can definately hear the SyX influence in their music; however, I think they sound different enough in some areas. I guess I can take back what I said earlier about not finding any new high quality prog metal in a long time.

Oh and to the original post.......this Myrath singer reminds me a LOT of Russell Allen so you may want to check them out yourself.

Dude, I'm so glad you asked this question.

Roy Khan is a very talented vocalist. He was an opera singer before he became a metal singer. He has a great low and high range. Just a tremendous voice. He sings in English, but can also sing in Spanish (and of course his native language).

Enjoy!

I like the band that Khan was in before Kamelot called CONCEPTION better...

If you haven't heard of them try Parallel Minds and In Your Multitude....

A lot of people say that, but I don't see the hype.

Conception is fantastic. Khan's vocal control + phrasing combined with Otsby's guitar is heaven. They are one of the few good power metal bands, IMO - listen to the vocal melodies on Missionary Man or Fairy's Dance, especially the choruses. Brilliant - catchy but clever, and no band can replicate that style (except to some extent Kamelot, obviously). I don't remember their bassist's name, but he is awesome as well - check out the instrumental work on A Million Gods.

Awesome, one-of-a-kind band. I hope that by some miracle they release new work eventually. I think Khan is wasting his time in Kamelot. It's a commercial success but a musical dead end.

Haven't heard any of the songs Postulate mention, but the part starting at 2:40 in the song Wolf's Lair is brilliant.
~Flee with me
Into the fields of glory
See the shine
Luna, the promised land~

Love it. I like most of Conception's stuff.

Haven't heard any of the songs Postulate mention, but the part starting at 2:40 in the song Wolf's Lair is brilliant.
~Flee with me
Into the fields of glory
See the shine
Luna, the promised land~

Love it. I like most of Conception's stuff.

damn straight

khan even sounded great live with a cold. the man's got a voice.

Well haven't had much free time lately but I've heard a few great new artists I am currently listening to such as Myrath, Seventh Wonder, Nevermore, and lastly Kamelot thanks to wild bill (?) lol. I LOVE what I've heard from Kamelot...while they don't have the toughness and balls I enjoy so much in Symphony X, they are very good and JUST heavy enough to keep my attention. Main thing about S-X I love is Allen's vocals going from heavy/ballsy to clean which almost no other band is good at or don't even try to do. Heard a song also that nobody recommended called Ghost Opera off of the album, really well put together song..also LOVED March of Mephisto. Definitely going to continue listening though, theres always many songs that creep up on me after I have listened to the album a few times through that I previously didn't really notice.

72-74 King Crimson.

Songs: Larks Tongues in Aspic Pt I and II, Fracture, and Starless

It's early symphonic heavy prog, with lots of dynamics. Actually DT covered Larks Tongues in Aspic pt. II in the special edition of their new album. For it's time it was completely killer, and it still is.

I've also been listening to Devin Townsend like crazy. Nothing flashy about it, but his music is very moving and I really like his voice. Very versatile.

The problem with Townsend is that he's pretty difficult to recommend to someone. It's a bit like "do you like running? you should try sports I hear it's great". It takes time going through his sounds and music.

I know. I heard his (SYL's) cover of Exciter when I bought the Priest tribute album in 95 or whenever it came out. That and Mercyful Fate doing The Ripper were the best songs on the disc.

I ignored him till 2009. Then I was looking at one of those Amazon "Listmania" things and someone said "Teria" is a must have prog album. I decided to try it. I wouldn't call it prog, but it is very powerful and moving. His vocal melodies are incredible. Now I have everything he's done, both solo and with SYL. I guess it's not musically much like SymX at all. I mean, SymX can be very powerful and dramatic, we know that, that's part of what makes SymX so great. I've just been into stuff that's really dynamic lately. Soft and ambient to loud and crushingly heavy within the same song or album.

And he did tour with SymX :)