Band recommendations similar...

Try Kansas. Everybody loves Kansas.

Maybe you'll like good ol swedish melodeath?

If you like Mikael Åkerfeldt you might like:

Maybe you'll like newer Katatonia if you're into AiC (it's without Åkerfeldt though):

Damn Swedish music rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and this band is sometimes compared to SX although I only find this song to be something extraordinary:

If you're ok with growls and want epic, my automatic recommendation would be of course Wintersun, being the fanboy that I am...

Eyeballkid - I have heard a bit of Anthrax and most of it is a little...sporadic(?) for me, don't really care for Caught in a Mosh and I've heard its like their best song; maybe I just heard the wrong songs. I HAVE however heard amazing things about the album We've Come For You All, so I will definitely be looking that one up.

Caught in a Mosh is older Anthrax with their 2nd singer, Joey Belladonna. They were a lot thrashier back then, and that is only "the best" if you are talking to an old school Anthrax fan. Personally, everything they did with John Bush is ten times better than the old stuff (although there is an album of Bush singing the old stuff that kicks ass). Definitely check out We've Come For You All and Sound of White Noise, neither of which sound ANYTHING like Caugh in a Mosh.

I still highly recommend Armored Saint - Symbol of Salvation and Revelation.

Don't really care for grunts and growls. I can deal with it when it comes to Epica because I love Simone's voice and their music just blows me away. But, on the other hand, I have yet to get through a complete Opeth song ...

The lack of proggers on these boards saddens me. Seriously, for a prog metal band, the forums sure seem to be loaded with prog-haters.
I find that nothing beats GOOD prog music... the problem is that there is a lot of shitty prog, I know, but some of the stuff is simply beautiful in many ways.

The lack of proggers on these boards saddens me. Seriously, for a prog metal band, the forums sure seem to be loaded with prog-haters.
I find that nothing beats GOOD prog music... the problem is that there is a lot of shitty prog, I know, but some of the stuff is simply beautiful in many ways.

My sentiments exactly!! There is so much great stuff out there, people just have to sift through the lesser bands to find it, I'm finding great new bands every week!!

Whom exactly? Most people on these forums seem to enjoy one prog band or another. At least Symphony X.

Quite true.

Epica sucks the big one. They kept me awake at wacken with their shit music.
Haha, poor baby :p I'm looking forward to the new one

epica_design.jpg

Hey... I'm a big fan of progressive music. Anything from Camel, Pink Floyd, Pekka Pohjola and King Crimson to Porcupine Tree, Oceansize, Elephant9, Symphony X, Devin, Opeth, Cynic and so and so on.

I guess it shows that SyX taking a more straight forward/power metal approach to their music in the last two albums has worked and brought them a new crowd..

Me, I am into all kinds of metal; however, I do feel that if done right prog metal takes the crown over all metal. The only thing for me is that it has been awhile since I have heard anything unique or of high quality come out of the genre. Because of this the few new bands I have gotten into over the last year or two have been mostly of other metal genres.

Perfectly said !!!
My advice is to read around this forum and look for people who seem to have the same taste and see what else they list one of them being Gentleman of the Snow (this is to the original post by the way)

Talk about beautiful Music
I just discovered Pain of Salvation again , I wish now that i didn't just blow them off the first time i listened to them but now Its like I found a new band and i can get all there albums at once lol!!
another late find for me was Within Temptation , there is something about her voice that keeps me wanting to hear more , and im usualy 80 % more about the music than the vocals anyway sorry to step on your post lol.

SymphonyXJapan - I was thinking the same thing about SX's last two albums, more-so PL. They'll definitely draw in the more straight-forward metal crowd than their earlier stuff, and it shows.

Perfectly said !!!
My advice is to read around this forum and look for people who seem to have the same taste and see what else they list one of them being Gentleman of the Snow (this is to the original post by the way)

Talk about beautiful Music
I just discovered Pain of Salvation again , I wish now that i didn't just blow them off the first time i listened to them but now Its like I found a new band and i can get all there albums at once lol!!
another late find for me was Within Temptation , there is something about her voice that keeps me wanting to hear more , and im usualy 80 % more about the music than the vocals anyway sorry to step on your post lol.

Dude, I have been obsessing over PoS for a long time now. Absolutely beautiful band. Like yourself, I am mostly about the music, not the vocals/lyrics, but Gildenlow is just brilliant. Perfect Element is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I've listened to it hundreds of times. It gets me every time.