Torn = Not good

I don't really get the Evergrey criticism when you're clearly heavily into a (in my opinion) highly over-rated band that lacks melodic value.

Ok, so you're saying that because I like Slayer I have no right to criticize the album Torn? That makes no sense to me at all.... are you saying that my musical judgement is wrong BECAUSE I like Slayer?? Can you say "ignorance"?

After all, the only thing I was criticizing was the album, not the band in general.

Please don't take Slayer as a professional and talented band...

I didn't suggest that Slayer was a "professional and talented band".... even though I do think they are. I also think Evergrey is a "professional and talented band"... I just think that Torn is not a good album.

There are Slayer albums that I don't like as well... it doesn't mean I have anything against the band... same with Evergrey.

For the record... Slayer, IS shit. ;)

That's not fair to say. I'll bet they have a much bigger fan base than Evergrey. They aren't my cup of tea either, but they have their place. Reign In Blood was a tremendously influential album for extreme metal.

I don't listen to them, but I wouldn't put someone down for enjoying the band.

How did this turn into a Slayer bashing thread? Are some people that immature when someone criticizes the album that they have to attack things that have nothing to do with it?

How did this turn into a Slayer bashing thread? Are some people that immature when someone criticizes the album that they have to attack things that have nothing to do with it?
because you are furiously defending something that not many here care about. someone made a remark on yout avatar and you bought it...and now people are basically just taking the piss out of you. get it now? :loco: if you like Slayer then good for you. i don't

Dear janja666.
i definatlly think you are right.
i read all your posts & think it is very inteligent written.
you did not insult anyone & just expressed your mind.
you have to be a mature person to understand no band is perfect & to respect other people's views.
lots of highly regarded bands made unmemrable records
inc Dream theater,iron maiden,priest,metalica so evergrey is no exeption.

live & let live.
ikoz.

To something in the original post, bad production?

Are you insane? It is as clear as anything, the sounds are great, what more could you want?

MMA, while I liked the album, I cannot listen to it much because it had some of the worst guitar tone I've ever heard. Just so nasally and like everything had a wah pedal in front constantly, even the rhythm. Leave that to Michael Schenker please :)

I still think the best sounding album so far has been In Search Of Truth, perfect mix of atmospherics and keys, while still having great instrument sounds (drums, guitars, vox, bass), its the kind of production I look up to. MMA is the kind of production I try to avoid with my own stuff.

I still think the best sounding album so far has been In Search Of Truth, perfect mix of atmospherics and keys, while still having great instrument sounds (drums, guitars, vox, bass)

Thats one of many things that make ME think ISoT is the best album ever made :worship:

NP: Evergrey - Soaked (at work with my boss stright ahead of me)

Thats one of many things that make ME think ISoT is the best album ever made :worship:

NP: Evergrey - Soaked (at work with my boss stright ahead of me)

I agree. The whole music in this album is mixed perfectly! But i think recreation day is quite good as ISOT! Both albums are perfectly mixed. You can clearly hear all the instruments, at the same time!

To something in the original post, bad production?

Are you insane? It is as clear as anything, the sounds are great, what more could you want?

MMA, while I liked the album, I cannot listen to it much because it had some of the worst guitar tone I've ever heard. Just so nasally and like everything had a wah pedal in front constantly, even the rhythm. Leave that to Michael Schenker please :)

I still think the best sounding album so far has been In Search Of Truth, perfect mix of atmospherics and keys, while still having great instrument sounds (drums, guitars, vox, bass), its the kind of production I look up to. MMA is the kind of production I try to avoid with my own stuff.

I hope that's not a Schenker knock...he's been an inconsistent character for many years now, but his early days were awesome and very influential. Maybe only us old farts can relate though.:lol:

I agree...In Search of Truth is the best produced metal album I can think of. I never tire of that or The Inner Circle...absolute classics and perfect albums IMO.

I like all Evergrey albums for different reasons. I think its good for a band not to make the same album twice. But my favorite album has to be The Inner Circle. I think its a perfect album. The production, songwriting, vocals, riffs, melodies, choruses, and atmosphere are all top notch.

Finally purchased Torn....what the hell isn't good? It's a fine album...maybe not as brilliant as The Inner Circle, but certainly a fine album...definitely up there as one of my favorite 2008 releases...along with Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe.

Finally purchased Torn....what the hell isn't good? It's a fine album...maybe not as brilliant as The Inner Circle, but certainly a fine album...definitely up there as one of my favorite 2008 releases...along with Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe.

Below is a quote of my first post in this thread as to why I do not like Torn:

I've read a lot of reviews of this album and I cannot figure out why so many people praise it so much. I listened to the full album 4 times all the way through and I cannot mention a standout track. The production quality is lacking and imo the vocals are lacking as well.

I'm not writing this to bash the band in any way, because I love Evergrey... at least the pre-Torn Evergrey.

Does anyone else share my opinion of Torn?

It's definitely one of their worst, but I still enjoy it to no end. A bad Evergrey album is still a phenomenal album when compared with another band's record. :p