Torn = Not good

And again..I never said anything about 8 minutes..so i'm not sure where that idea came into your thoughts.....

simple..look at this short view of some lyrics

Inside out
Going outside in
Inside out going outside in
As I lie here...
Inside out
Going outside in
As I lie here

Compared to...

With so much lost in anger......
Too much built-up fear and .....
All these thoughts colliding.....
Making my wounds seem fatal.....
Pushing my head under water......
Making me tired and torn......

If only things were different........
If only things were.......

Brought to me...... in a different shade.....
Shown to me..... so that I could relate.....

Lock all doors that would make me stray....
and offer me a brand new day......

Never claimed to be someone I'm not
and always feared to be forgotten.......

So led astray that I lost all worth.....
So torn by wounds in a world of hurt......!

Torn in this case to me..is about 100 times better written..written like an evergrey song...Where as Lost sounded like something I hear in america....very simple written..not much depth..not much feeling...more like the backstreet boys type of we sound nice not real and deep....you know???

That's just my opinion..

It chills my skin (TORN) but today I took MMA to listen it AGAIN (hehe) and man, I got to say, WHAT A FUCKING AWESOME PIECE OF WORK!

Concerning TORN, Still Walk Alone and These Scars worth the whole album! :headbang:

And again..I never said anything about 8 minutes..so i'm not sure where that idea came into your thoughts.....

Inside out
Going outside in
As I lie here...
Inside out
Going outside in
As I lie here

But man, THAT WHAT'S NICE IN THIS SONG!
Don't you get it?

Or all the songs NEED to be complex or lyrical depressing like Torn for example...
I think Lost is a really nice song, one of the best from MMA and again, that's my TASTE!

Like Tom said, if he'll do music to please other people first instead of himself, there wouldn't be Evergrey!

And as for Lost again, I love that melody!

Inside out
Going outside in
As I lie here...
Inside out
Going outside in
As I lie here

Tom's voice is GREAT on this one!

Torn - Legendary? what?

And I love Dark Music..But I liked the direction of Recreation day and Inner circle...sure those albums were dark but they were very uplifting...Torn doesn't seem uplifting to me..I get depressed listening to this album. MMA I hated at first but accept it as a heavy fun album. In search of Truth is Legendary not Torn sorry.

everyone here is right, in his own way. Tom must be pleased it all sparkled this debate. that means people follow the band. but it's just music. it was meant to be an expression of an artist. it our case, it's something EG wanted. we either like it, or not. but comparison to Backstreet boys are far fetched :ill: coming up with great memorable melody doesn't mean being sell off. that's what i look for in music. and this band provides it.
people just should understand there will never be another Recreation Day, MMA, no another Inner Circle or any other album. band is evolving. and i'm happy to watch them closely on their way to the unknown :headbang:

... people just should understand there will never be another Recreation Day, MMA, no another Inner Circle or any other album. band is evolving. and i'm happy to watch them closely on their way to the unknown :headbang:

You've synthesized my feeling bout Evergrey in these lines...
Thank you! :)

Evergrey is always EVOLVING without loosing their integrity!
That my friend, NONE band could be able to do, not even Metallica!

That's why my admiration for this band grows bigger and bigger!
They've been doing it in every album they release and in my opinion, MMA pleased me most!

I feel people get caught up in loyalty to a particular band and tend see all their releases as great. I like to look at the individual albums. I can still be a fan of a band without having to worship every release. I'm an Evergrey fan, but I only really love two albums. I feel the same about many other groups...Blind Guardian, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc...I may only like a release or two...I'm still a fan.

All i know is I LOVE evergrey...they are THE band for me...and I love all their work...

I was just stating that torn to me is great..at first i was like eh....But I have come to love it..

And I agree every song doesnt have to be complex to be great...it's just my taste...and every man or woman has their taste right :)

Keep on rocking everyone..

Didn't mean to upset anyone...

Stay grey everyone...:headbang:

I feel people get caught up in loyalty to a particular band and tend see all their releases as great. I like to look at the individual albums. I can still be a fan of a band without having to worship every release. I'm an Evergrey fan, but I only really love two albums. I feel the same about many other groups...Blind Guardian, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc...I may only like a release or two...I'm still a fan.

I agree.

I only really like 2 Blind Guardian albums, but I consider myself a huge BG fan. then of course there is Metallica *sigh*. I'm a fan of the first 4 Metallica albums.....

That's right guys!
The messages above shows what I said before, this forum is one of the most respectful forums I've been to...

Congratulations fellows!
This is a healthy discussion!

What matters is our support to the band WE love! :headbang:

I think Torn is an amazing album. In away it followed the direction of MMA, but dropped everything that made that album "not Evergrey' (I still love MMA btw) and replaced it with the good old Evergrey, drawing mostly from ISoT and somewhat RD (IMO). Basically what they got was a great album, that in a way continued in its own direction, as every album should, but also carried the essence that makes Evergrey what Evergrey is, and seems to unite every one of their albums except MMA (which again, I love anyway).
Torn is dark, mature and complicated album. It's written brilliantly, with great riffs, great choruses. The musicianship is great (keyboard is somewhat lacking though) and so are Tom's vocals. IMO it's an awesome album and definately holds its own to any other Evergrey album. Good Job!

Inside out
Going outside in
As I lie here...
Inside out
Going outside in
As I lie here

Compared to...

With so much lost in anger......
Too much built-up fear and .....
All these thoughts colliding.....
Making my wounds seem fatal.....
Pushing my head under water......
Making me tired and torn......

If only things were different........
If only things were.......

Brought to me...... in a different shade.....
Shown to me..... so that I could relate.....

Lock all doors that would make me stray....
and offer me a brand new day......

Never claimed to be someone I'm not
and always feared to be forgotten.......

So led astray that I lost all worth.....
So torn by wounds in a world of hurt......!

Sure, you can take what is probably the lyrically weakest song in the entire album as an example and say that the entire album has bad written lyrics, but in fact MMA has some great lyrics as well.

And you'll despise yourself for dreaming
Hate yourself for believing
Lie to yourself in obedience...

How long have you held me in this water
Much too long since my body is numb
How long have I been here and where am I
And why are my hands tied...

And in dreams they come for you
Have they not come to see you too?
In silence flying through the room
Lonely thoughts try to conquering you...

My war on time
Got worse and faster
The sands fought hard
And every day I lost a battle...

Remind me of what you said life had made you do.
What did you do to make all you had fall through?
What forces you to make the choices that you do?
Are we to blame for all the failures that are you?
Or should we blame you?

These are just a few examples of great MMA lyrics. Every album has its better songs and its worse songs (both lyrically and musically), but Tom has always, except for some odd exceptions (which is perfectly normal), written great lyrics, and MMA is definately not an exception.

IMO it's an OK song, but definately subpar by Evergrey standards, and lyrically it's pretty weak (especially the chorus). But this is just an opinion and it's just one song. Also it's leaning a lot to sort of mainstream rock, rather than Evergrey's usual dark progressive metal. Still you can't judge an album by a song. MMA is awesome, I love it even though it's different.
Torn however, is as Evergrey as Evergrey can be, and it's a fucking masterpiece. Every time I listen to a song from it, I'm literally blown away by how good that song can be. I'm just dying to see it live, but obviously that's not gonna happen any time soon :(

i'm sorta divided about the new album on one hand some of the songs are some of the grey's best imo but for the most part on the other side of things i'm left feeling i dunno like there isn't some really stand out moments by henkik and tom.

i've been a fan of evergrey since in search of truth days and to be honest i don't feel as satisfied as i do listening to the inner circle or recreation day or grey's other albums for that matter. maybe when i heard the preview video thousands of times i had preconcieved ideas about what the songs would sound like..

i dunno but i can't help but feeling a bit dissapointed..i still love torn though and it kills any other band out there.. :headbang:

PS man i love the start of numb fucking awesome

Lost may be the most "commercial" sounding song Evergrey has ever written, and it probably does set outside the usual Evergrey mold, but it's also probably the most catchy song Evergrey has ever written, and it just so happens to be my favorite song to sing along to while in the car.

Lost may be the most "commercial" sounding song Evergrey has ever written, and it probably does set outside the usual Evergrey mold, but it's also probably the most catchy song Evergrey has ever written, and it just so happens to be my favorite song to sing along to while in the car.

I cannot agree more...
Indeed is the MOST catchy song they've ever written and one of the coolest too!

And about the lyrical content, It's a song about relationship and deep weakness. Not such a foolish subject...