Tough Decision about guitar choosing.

Apr 23, 2006
Hi guys ,

I having been collecting money for nearly 2 year for a new guitar. My 3. guitar after a Ibanez Gio , and a Fender Stratocaster. I have two choice one of them is a acoustic guitar Martin 00016GT and the other is a Gibson Les Paul Classic. I have been thinking on these guitars for nearly a month and I couldn't make a decision. So I need your help..

I think biggest factor is my influences , the things that give to love of producing music. And I wonder which guitar might help on my way the most.
My biggest influences are Opeth ( Of course ) , Steven Wilson ( Porcupine Tree , and nearly everything he does , I have everything of thim nearly all Disgraghpy ). And the older bands of course Deep Purple , Pink Floyd , Camel , King Crimson etc. Actually these are the samples of my musical development. I used to listen Melodic Black metal and Doom once. And Heavy metal for a while of course.

So my music taste is composed of these. Death Metal to phychedelic..And Prog.

I wonder which guitar might help the most a Martin Acoustic or a Les Paul?

Thanks
Cheers

I think you didn't get the point. The factor is the music on my topic. I wonder which guitar can help the most fpr the MUSİC.

And as you can see I made my advise to this guy , from this point you can understand my problem is not the same.

An electric will provide you with a wider array of sounds. Acoustics only really do the one thing, and while that one thing can be fantastic, that's all you're limited to. At the very least, with the LP you can do clean electric.

Yeah totally. And of course I have a acoustic influence complety Opeth based. I want to satisfy that to. But Les Paul provides a wider sound world.

Lol I am stuck , they are both real interests of me. More opinions?

If ur gettin the LP... buy an epiphone not a gibson... you'll pay an extra 1000 dollars for a worse guitar.

NineFeetUnderground said:
LOL

i havent laughed that hard in a long long long time. thank you sir!

nah, it can be true. i went for the "gold" and bought a lp special...the faded series....every epiphone custom/studio that i have played blows this guitar away. the epiphones don't have the gibson electronics...then again, until you step up to the customs, standards, 1999+s, you won't get the top of the line pups. but, i remember hearing about an elite series??? something like that...it was a few years ago. anyway, it was basically a series of lp standards with the epiphone label....same everything...just 1/2 the price and made in korea. gibson is too busy making money these days instead of making an honest product.

JoeVice said:
nah, it can be true. i went for the "gold" and bought a lp special...the faded series....every epiphone custom/studio that i have played blows this guitar away. the epiphones don't have the gibson electronics...then again, until you step up to the customs, standards, 1999+s, you won't get the top of the line pups. but, i remember hearing about an elite series??? something like that...it was a few years ago. anyway, it was basically a series of lp standards with the epiphone label....same everything...just 1/2 the price and made in korea. gibson is too busy making money these days instead of making an honest product.

maybe thats because youre a nunce and bought the "special"...which is a steaming pile, even moreso than the studios. im not surprised an epiphone would be the same or better quality than a special.

Buy a Jackson WRMG Warrior. If you don't like its sound, you can always use it to impale someone you don't like.

An Absent Friend said:
Yeah totally. And of course I have a acoustic influence complety Opeth based. I want to satisfy that to. But Les Paul provides a wider sound world.

No, I'm afraid that you're wrong about the Les Paul...

The Gibson LP has lots of limitations. I have recently tried quite a few...
- The standard pickups are lousy - with muddy, non definition sound. You'll need to upgrade to Seymour Duncans immediately!
- The finish is poor! You'll be very disappointed!
- They are usually very heavy and expensive...

In short - Gibsons are overrated. (Read tests on Harmony-central.com and find out.)

I have an american Strat which is great. I have a spanish guitar made in Spain! My Epiphone Lp is ok, but can't make the chrunchy (chord) sounds that Mike and Peter does!

I have been wanting A Gibby LP Standard for years - because I wanted to make heavy metal noices! But changed my mind when I finally could afford one. After trying quite a lot of them I got fed up. So I checked out some PRS's but didn't like them either.

So I got a handmade Hamer 'Monaco Elite' (seen on my avatar). It costs slightly less (!) than a Gibson LP Standard, but is WAY better on all points. It has SD pups as standard, and they kick butt.
NOW - with my Hamer - I've got the bitey, chrunchy sound I wanted - and a BEAUTIFUL guitar at the same time. I will never buy a Gibson. All I want now is a Martin acoustic... and perhaps another Hamer! :)

As you already own 2 electrics, I would say you'll get more out of the Martin acoustic! (Hey - Mikael in Opeth has got one too!)

Listen!
You can shred and play riffs and lots of metal with your Ibanez.
You can play elegant lines and clean rhytm guitar parts with your Strat. (I (gladly) play metal with my Strat - it's very versatile.)

So you'll NEED an acoustic for the more progressive guitar parts. If not promptly, then some day soon, I guess..! :)

My son has recently bought just that guitar - Martin 00016GT - and it is amazing. (Now I want a Martin too!) The sound is very clear and strong. It is also very easy to play - great setup and low action.

(You will NOT be dissapointed with a nice Martin!
I'm afraid you might be that with a Gibson.)

I happen to own a Martin 000-16GT and a Epiphone Les Paul
(with Seymour Duncan pickups).

Since I bought my Martin I write almost all my music on it! It's such a great
guitar with awesome sustain and intonation! Apart from chord rhythms and
riffs I also write leads, some basslines and even heavy riffs with the
000-16GT! If it sounds good on my Martin it sounds good on the electric.

The 16GT is made especially for picking, but it's very versatile. I use it for
strumming in both mellow (alone) and heavy songs (with the electric).
Works great! It delivers a sharp, yet beautifully warm tone.

I'd say go with the Martin... You'll not regret it, but you will need a great
electric eventually! In the meantime your Ibanez and Fender may cover
most of your needs? Opeth used Fenders in their early work alot!

Hope I've been to any help.

cheerio & good luck, mate.

Well thank you a lot guys. And I learnt what wanted to learn most. I wasn't sure that I can work on heavy riffs and things like not acousticish :D That made me wanting Martin more.

And I can get a Gibson later probably.

And Oddy sorry I am not thinking about buying a Washburn :D You can try selling to a beginner maybe.

An Absent Friend said:
Well thank you a lot guys. And I learnt what wanted to learn most. I wasn't sure that I can work on heavy riffs and things like not acousticish :D That made me wanting Martin more.

And I can get a Gibson later probably.

The 000-16GTs are decent, but have a bit of a thin and hollow sound overall, at least compared to the more prominant martin models. Theyre nice for their thinner neck and body profiles though, makes them easier to handle.

Also in the shop that I went today there was a Martin model looking just like a 00016GT and the told that its model was 000S1 but there is no model called 000S1 on Martin site. Lol I am confused , and he sad its much more expensive than Gt's. Gt's first hand is 1300$ , this ones second one is 1300$ ( New ones 2500$ ) LOL.