Tough Decision about guitar choosing.

NineFeetUnderground said:
maybe thats because youre a nunce and bought the "special"...which is a steaming pile, even moreso than the studios. im not surprised an epiphone would be the same or better quality than a special.

hey, at least i can say that i have a genuine gibson!!!! :rolleyes: it really is the shittiest guitar that i own.

one thing that i like though, is the unfinished neck. i like the feel of the wood grains. unfortunately, its a thin mahogany neck, which is perfect for intonation problems. i have a mid-70 something gibson L6-S. i picked it up at a pawn-shop for 250. it is one of the smoothest playing guitars that i have ever touched...solid maple body, a nice and thick neck, coil splitting pups...really neat guitar. older gibsons are the best.

An Absent Friend said:
Well thank you a lot guys. And I learnt what wanted to learn most. I wasn't sure that I can work on heavy riffs and things like not acousticish :D That made me wanting Martin more.

And I can get a Gibson later probably.

And Oddy sorry I am not thinking about buying a Washburn :D You can try selling to a beginner maybe.

beginner my ass! That Wasburn rips.

Sorry I am not into Washburns my cousin have one , and its really not that nice :D

And this Ibanez was my first guitar , I bought it like 3 years ago , and this Fender ..I bought it 2. hand from my neigh. who is a musician and my teacher with a big discount on my birthday :D

Now I am planing a new guita cause my highschool over ( heey! ) and from now on I am into music with my friends all the time.

NineFeetUnderground said:
The 000-16GTs are decent, but have a bit of a thin and hollow sound overall, at least compared to the more prominant martin models. Theyre nice for their thinner neck and body profiles though, makes them easier to handle.

Yes, the 000-16GT does not have the same deep warm tone as regular
sized Grand Auditorium or Dreadnought. But then again, larger guitars may
sound more, but not nescessary clearer. However the tone is flawless. Before
I bought it I really tried A LOT of guitars since I'm very picky with sound.
The Martin 000-16GT was great sounding and very versatile with a humane
price-tag.

If one wants to write songs and enjoy the Opeth sound - the defined tone
as they have on the Lamentations DVD - choose the 16GT.

And hey, An Absent Friend: Try out your guitar for yourself. It always
comes down to personal taste and playing style in the end.

christ, les pauls have got a stinking rep in this thread! Im thinkng I could really improve my playing if i ditched mine and went for something else?! Nine feet, could you help me with my problem discussed in the other guitar thread please? You seem to know your stuff, mayng.
Cheers.

well id probably get one if i was in nuclear assult or poison, circa 1989.

in short, i prefer not to own guitars shaped like torture devices or sex toys. or both.

But what about its sound and action etc...? Shape depends heavily on personal preferences, but characteristics like sound can be rated a bit more objectively.

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
christ, les pauls have got a stinking rep in this thread! Im thinkng I could really improve my playing if i ditched mine and went for something else?! Nine feet, could you help me with my problem discussed in the other guitar thread please? You seem to know your stuff, mayng.
Cheers.
les pauls destroy, somehow i think your problem isn't the guitar

Opethian666 said:
But what about its sound and action etc...? Shape depends heavily on personal preferences, but characteristics like sound can be rated a bit more objectively.

its action and sound are nothing different than every other metal guitar. if the warrior loses its shape...it offers NOTHING different than its peers.

its action and sound are nothing different than every other metal guitar. if the warrior loses its shape...it offers NOTHING different than its peers.

Well it's just that my Jackson Warrior seems to have a surprising lack of sustain and power. It gets to that point that I don't really hear a difference with it between it and my 200 dollars Yamaha Pacifica, especially in the higher registers. I realise that my amp (a measily 15 watt Line 6 spider II amp) isn't doing the guitar justice, but the same thing occurs when I plug it into my pc and use the virtual amps in my Line 6 Guitarport. So either I'm being Line6ed or something's wrong with the guitar. All reviews I've read about the Jackson have been very positive about its sound and its soloing ability, and I even remember it felt much better to play than my Yamaha when I was at the store, but nowadays it really just seems like something is wrong.

Opethian666 said:
Well it's just that my Jackson Warrior seems to have a surprising lack of sustain and power. It gets to that point that I don't really hear a difference with it between it and my 200 dollars Yamaha Pacifica, especially in the higher registers. I realise that my amp (a measily 15 watt Line 6 spider II amp) isn't doing the guitar justice, but the same thing occurs when I plug it into my pc and use the virtual amps in my Line 6 Guitarport. So either I'm being Line6ed or something's wrong with the guitar. All reviews I've read about the Jackson have been very positive about its sound and its soloing ability, and I even remember it felt much better to play than my Yamaha when I was at the store, but nowadays it really just seems like something is wrong.

maybe have the pots looked at, or the wiring. what kind of pickups are you using as well?

and oddly enough, i find that most of the time, the guitar cables are the issue, not the guitar or the amp. try using different or getting new guitar cables.

maybe have the pots looked at, or the wiring. what kind of pickups are you using as well?

The standard EMG HZ's.

and oddly enough, i find that most of the time, the guitar cables are the issue, not the guitar or the amp. try using different or getting new guitar cables.

I doubt that, but I could always check. Do you think that the batteries in the active elements could be an issue? I've had the guitar for about a year now without changing the batteries, but I thought that it only needed to be charged for the decibel boost.

Opethian666 said:
The standard EMG HZ's.

I doubt that, but I could always check. Do you think that the batteries in the active elements could be an issue? I've had the guitar for about a year now without changing the batteries, but I thought that it only needed to be charged for the decibel boost.

I thought HZs were passive, clearly I'm just a dumb mofo. Definitely test the battery, they die slowly even if you aren't using it. Also, if you leave your guitar plugged in you are slightly draining the battery too (I think). It's not just for volume, active pickups have a small preamp built in and don't work at all if the battery is dead. It might affect the tone if it's on its way out and you will definitely not be able to drive your amp as hard if you aren't getting the gain from the preamp. Change the battery and see if it screams better :)

HZs are passive.

You always want to have plenty of juice in your pickups if you're using actives, though. It isn't just a decibel boost. It's about headroom and gain. Your tone will start shitting itself once they start going flat. Transients and frequency response get affected. It's always important to have a backup on you if you're gigging as well.