Tough Guitar Decision

Dec 8, 2005
I am forced to pick between an Ibanez RG-350DX, or a used Ibanez RG-570 off of eBay or somewhere. I am leaning towards the 570. But what guitar would you choose and why.

570 is better, I own a 350dx and its not nearly as good as my friends 570, even with all the pickup work I have done to it.

Bodom After Breakfast said:
I am forced to pick between an Ibanez RG-350DX, or a used Ibanez RG-570 off of eBay or somewhere. I am leaning towards the 570. But what guitar would you choose and why.

I have never played an RG-350. I think those huge pickguards are ugly. That is not to say there is anything wrong with the guitar, I just don't care for the styling so I can't really comment on how they play.
I have played a RG370 (which is pretty similar to the 350) and RG570 and the 570 is a little higher quality instrument, though both were Japanese made. If you are really tight on money, you can go for one of the S series guitars like the S470. It is a Korean made Ibanez, but still features the Wizard II neck. For the money, it's really hard to beat. The pickups aren't that bad either. You might eventually want to go with a hotter one in the bridge, but that one will get you by for a while no problem. The S470DXQM is my fave of those, though I haven't actually played that model. I have played a standard S470 and it was a pretty nice guitar. The body is also mahogany which makes it pretty light.

Bryant

If the 570 is used and the 350 isn't, the 570 is the better value, as well as the better guitar.

I would go for an AANJ RG-570. It has a better bridge, and is a little higher in quality.

how much money are you looking to spend? Because for a little more you can get a rg-550 or a even better rg-770 which kick ass...

I don't really like the middle single-coil on the 550s and 570s. I prefer 520s more and I see a ton of RG520QS guitars on eBay for under four bills. That would be my preference. The blue ones are sweet.

I picked mine up at Music-Go-Round, a local used equipment store. It is so freaking sweet! But mine was stripped of finish and oiled. It's a "boring" brown, but the quilt top is so gorgeous that the more natural color is brilliant.

I haven't played any RGs with the new EDGE III. Are the 350's still Korean made? If so, the Japanese-made >500 series are much better guitars, quality-wise. Look at the serial number for the guitar in your store - those starting in F are Japanese made, but I'm not sure if this rule still applies.

So, my recommendation is to look at the 520 with a quilted top. You get looks AND quality for about the same price as a new 350.

I appreciate the feedback, umm I want to spend between $300 and $500. I might choose the Ibanez RG-570, because I want an OFR.

Except people who play metal guitars for not metal music. And that my friends is what we call an idiot.

Yeah I own a 520Qs , wish I had only paid 400 for it however, I think i paid 1200.00 bucks here in canada for mine brand new... its a great guitar though. When I bought it I had a used Petrucci and the 520qs to choose from, they we about the same price, I actually liked the 520qs better.. it just felt better and sounded just as good and looked better, I couldn't stand the graphic on petrucci's early ibanez's.

Personally, I absolutly love the RG350DX. I've handled a lot of Ibanez's because I used to buy and sell them a ton on ebay. There is somthing about the 350DX that just plays better than most. I've actually been in the market to buy one for myself - but I would say that you would be obligated to change out the pickups.

I recently bought the rg 350 dx and i fucken love it, just such a great guitar for the price.

The orginal pups in it are pretty crappy though, i would change em if i were you.

The 700 series was the top of the line for the RGs. Shame they stopped making them. I guess now the Prestige-neck models would be super cool, but pricey as hell.

Man, when I win the lottery, I'm going to have one of EVERY model of guitar ever made. Some models I'll have a back up.

Or maybe I'll use the money to finance my own start up guitar mfg company and hand-make guitars for Romeo. I could be the PRS of the new millenium.

Yeah, right.

ABQShredHead said:
The 700 series was the top of the line for the RGs. Shame they stopped making them. I guess now the Prestige-neck models would be super cool, but pricey as hell.

Man, when I win the lottery, I'm going to have one of EVERY model of guitar ever made. Some models I'll have a back up.

Or maybe I'll use the money to finance my own start up guitar mfg company and hand-make guitars for Romeo. I could be the PRS of the new millenium.

Yeah, right.

Prestige? Nah...

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/products/eg/page_big/RG8270F_DR.html