Guitar recomendations

I don't think Carvin does basswood guitars.

As for neck-thrus, the body is really rarely one piece (I guess you could get a single-pieced all flame maple guitar, it's not impossible to do but is quite costly... and why all this crap, for god's sake?). The neck runs through the WHOLE body and the pickus are mounted on it. HOWEVER, two "wings" are glued to the neck and THEN the shape is cut out. You can clearly see it on that pic:

http://www.carvin.com/guitars-in-stock/small/64169.jpg
(Possible) downside of neck-thru construction: with a bolt-on or a set-neck the higher notes are more percussive, if you happen to like that, you'd have to get an all-access bolt-on/set neck. Listen to Marty Frieadman's "Dargon's kiss" album for the dynamics of a neck-thru and "Music for speeding" for the dynamics of a set neck.

I recall TSR got his carvin with swamp ash wings to get a more percussive tone than alder.

Disregard what I said about higher notes. If you don't play clean solos up the neck, you'll probably never notice it anyway.
The dynamics difference is only really audiable with plam mutes.

Im interested in these Carvin guitars now, but my only problem is that no store carries them, so trying one out may be a problem. I'm a little skeptical about spending a lot of money on something i've never tried before

Well, thanks for the recommendations. I think my best option is now go to a stroe and try carvins (Oh the magics of propaganda), and compare with other guitars.
Thank you all!

I would go for a really nice used american strat and fix it up with whatever pickups you want...cant go wrong.

neck thru's are really two pieces i think the neck wood is extended to the end of the body, and th ebody is routed to accomodate the neck so it goes "thru" the body and the body goes around the neck. . .its comlicated

I have a Carvin DC127C (neck-thru) and a JEM77FP with Evolution in bridge, Tone Zone @the neck (uhuh..) and stock strat-pu in da middle. If you're into high-gain guitars with thicker tone, yeah a JEM will be cool.. because of the DiMarzio's. It has thick tone, but the pickups are boosted very much in certain frequency-ranges, so that's a very big influence on tone with those.. on any guitar I think. You immediately hear that there are DiMarzio's on an axe I mean. With the Carvin you really hear the wood and strings (I use .10 strings on it) and it can produce a very cool fusion-cleanish tone even through high-gain amp settings. And ofcourse metalrhythms. But it's cleaner and has more punch instead of resonating frequencies by boostin em. But a strat's cool too hehe. Just try some guitars, it's all personal dude ;)

grtz,

Frank

bobvex said:
neck thru's are really two pieces i think the neck wood is extended to the end of the body, and th ebody is routed to accomodate the neck so it goes "thru" the body and the body goes around the neck. . .its comlicated

Neck thrus are 3 pieces. the neck extends the length of the body, and the two sides are glued onto the center neck piece.

Zax666 said:
I don't think Carvin does basswood guitars.

I recall TSR got his carvin with swamp ash wings to get a more percussive tone than alder.
Yup...that's right. Probably not necessary to punch it up...but that's what the swamp ash does! Sometimes it sounds like the slap bass from Seinfeld lol!

As far as I know they don't do basswood, but I could be wrong. They have so many hidden options. One thing they did recently is add rosewood to the fingerboard lineup. So now you can get ebony, rosewood, maple, and birds-eye maple. Ebony is the default, and it's sweet.

Those higher-end Peavey V-types (formerly called Vandenbergs) with the neck through body are incredible. Stephan Lill of vanden Plas plays a couple of different Vandenbergs. The Wolfgangs are popular and aren't bad guitars, but I compared the two at a local music store and there was simply no comparison. Peavey has been making the Vandenberg for over 15 years and they have really refined that into one monster of a guitar.

Bryant