Getting a new guitar...

Oct 7, 2002
Visit site
This has been busting my brain for a long time now, but it's finally time for a new one, and since I can't really seem to find what I'm looking for in ESP, Fender or Jackson (Jacksons sound too 'sharp' IMO, which is a shame because I love their design), I suppose it'll be Ibanez for me. Now I've been testing some Ibanez guitars and I think they sound good (as far as one can tell at least when playing on whatever material the store has to test guitars on), but now it's a question of choosing one... I've been playing for some years now and would finally like to get a 'professional' axe, though nothing that costs thousands of dollars. I guess the price-range I'm looking at is somewhere around or somewhat over a thousand bucks, which I believe would be somewhere in the mid-high range if I'm correct. At any rate, I've been looking at the RG series, and am wondering if it'll suit my needs; what I play is mostly metal of course, anything ranging from SX to Blind Guardian, Maiden, Metallica, Dream Theater, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Kamelot, Iced Earth, and so on and so on. If the RG series are no good then please feel free to enlighten me, but if they are then I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices they have at the Ibanez-site, I must say. I'm certainly not looking for a seven-string, but even with those options out of the way I'm still seeing a lot of different RG-models here. I'll admit I don't know a lot about different kinds of pickups, bridge systems, electronics configurations, etc, so seeing all those guitars and things like 'H-S-H', 'piezos', 'EX', 'Edge bridge', 'double edge bridge',..., being listed among their specifications makes me even more confused as to what would be the right axe for me. Any help here would certainly be appreciated.

Try out the 500 series. Especially the 550s and 570s.
Great guitars. I would stay away from anything under the RG500 though is you want a "keeper".

Thanks for the help so far! I've found some more information on those guitars by now, and it turns out the RG420GK has a 'Roland GK' system, which I'm told is some kind of synthesizer-element built into the guitar. That's what the e-mail from the music store tells me anyway in answer to my inquiry. It mentions that this synthesizer-thingie makes it possible to 'play on the GR33', though honestly I've no clue what they mean by that. I'm not even sure what exactly this synth really is or what it does. Is this piezo-equipped guitar worth it, you think? I've looked at some of the signature-models they have too but to tell you the truth I'm not really looking for a signature axe. And while the prestige-models look interesting for sure, they're almost all seven-strings.
Might I ask what types of guitars you play, Yngvai? I've heard your stuff and...well, somehow it makes me feel like any advice from you is worth paying attention to ;)

the RG series if fine but there are so many.My best Ibanezes are all prestige models.My RG 2020x(predecessor to the 2120x) is the piezo equipped model.It has more of a range of sound than my other Ibanezes and the prestige 3 piece neck construction is excellent.IT also allows the guitar to sound truer than your typical scarf joint

To boot,with the Ibanez models,you get the all access neck joint which all guitars should have in my opinion.A big ass neck plate doesn't help anyone play better.

Belive this, Im telling u this from my deepest heart, Ibanez rules!!

Im talking about the models rg550 +. The best guitars I ever tried is the Ibanez Prestige series. It like half handmade, great feel, great look, great sound, great prestige:D

The only problem with this guitar is that will never be able play an "normal" guitar after playing on an Ibanes Presige. When i play something like a Fender or even a Gibson, I just want to throw up:p

Well I used to play a Yamaha Pacifica 604W and that guitar surprised me SO much. It really is a great guitar and it is VERY cheap. Try it out - you might not like it but it is worth a try as it is a really great guitar. Now I play a Parker Fly classic (fucking love it, the perfect guitar for me).

I love Jackson guitars. They are my abolute favs.
And i don't think that they sound too sharp. It depends on the model and the pickups.
The better Jackson models use Seymor Duncan or Duncan Designed pickups. They are mostly a bit sharper than the Dimarzio and ibanzez pickups. But this makes the sound a bit more heavy. You also can try out the Jackson MG series. They use the EMG hz pickups. Or the DK1 with EMG 81 and 85 pickups.

Well, if you like the Ibanez guitars, go for one of the Prestige or a used USA Custom... All of their less expensive guitars are not very well made, IMO. Sure they play decent and sound okay, but their long term durability isn't there....

If you don't want one of the more popular brands, Jackson (rules), Ibanez, Gibson or Fender... Check out www.Carvin.com, or possilbly www.musicyo.com. I've heard nothing but nice things about the neckthru Kramers (and they're very inexpensive). All they need is a proper setup (which they don't seem to recieve from the factory).

Either that or go for the Jackson, and just put a pickup that you find more suitable... EMGs are good, but I like the stock SD's that usually come with them.