Tough Decision about guitar choosing.

HZs are passive.

Well, my Jackson has EMG-HZs, I'm 100% sure of that, but I'm also 100% sure that it has something active inside of it. The dude who sold it to me told me that it works on batteries, and the guitar clearly has a case for the batteries, although I haven't opened it yet. The pickups are EMG-HZs as they are standard for the Jackson WRMG Warrior, and it says "EMG-HZ" on the pickups themselves. I also have a volume boost knob.

You always want to have plenty of juice in your pickups if you're using actives, though. It isn't just a decibel boost. It's about headroom and gain. Your tone will start shitting itself once they start going flat. Transients and frequency response get affected. It's always important to have a backup on you if you're gigging as well.

Thanks, I'll get them changed one of these days then and tell you if it has any effect :).

Edit: I just found the specs for it, and it says Active EMG® TurboCharger® (0-20dB Gain Control). I also found that it has 2 kinds of EMG pickups: passive 81 at the bridge and an active (9V pre amp) 85 at the neck, covered humbuckers. 3-way Switch, volume, tone, and turbo vol (for the active EMG).
So are the batteries only for the turbocharger on the second pickup, or also for the tone and sound of the second pickup?

Opethian666 said:
I just found the specs for it, and it says "Active EMG® TurboCharger® (0-20dB Gain Control)".
So i guess the batteries are only for the turbocharger, and it shouldn't mess with my tone and sustain one bit if they run out, right?
I honestly don't know, I've never seen a system like that. Change the battery anyway, they're so cheap... see what if it improves things I guess.

So, rather than start a new thread, I'll post here. I've been thinking about getting a 2nd electric that will provide me with something different than my current one. I have a LP Classic 1960 Reissue from '92 that, when set up, is a great guitar. It's fast, has great sustain and tone, and is just a beautiful guitar. So, I'm looking for something with neck through, probably 24 frets, and a whammy bar. It's something I'm saving up for, and I'm thinking of it in terms of an investment. Most of the guitars in stores around me sell for $800 and under, and they all feel like a major step down from my LP. Any ideas?

soundave said:
So, rather than start a new thread, I'll post here. I've been thinking about getting a 2nd electric that will provide me with something different than my current one. I have a LP Classic 1960 Reissue from '92 that, when set up, is a great guitar. It's fast, has great sustain and tone, and is just a beautiful guitar. So, I'm looking for something with neck through, probably 24 frets, and a whammy bar. It's something I'm saving up for, and I'm thinking of it in terms of an investment. Most of the guitars in stores around me sell for $800 and under, and they all feel like a major step down from my LP. Any ideas?

Price range...? Or is that not really an issue?

Yes they are a step back :D , now my 2nd levek might be a LP. But as you can see I am tryin' to choose which guitar to buy. LP might be.

NineFeetUnderground said:
maybe have the pots looked at, or the wiring. what kind of pickups are you using as well?

and oddly enough, i find that most of the time, the guitar cables are the issue, not the guitar or the amp. try using different or getting new guitar cables.

monster cables. thems' good'uns. :kickass:

I've had cords from tons of manufacturers..and i've had cords from all but Monster crap out on me.