Transparent master bus compressor?

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I've recently come to be really daunted by the fact that my GSSL can't do more than about 3dB of master bus compression without shitting itself. I've been working pretty hard at getting the Staub drum sound, but without huge amounts of GR on the MBC, it just doesn't feel the same.

So if you'd care to indulge me, what are some SSL-style master bus compressors out there (hardware, preferably) which can do huge amounts of GR without too many pumping artifacts?

That was the first thing I looked up, but the price really caught my balls in my throat to be honest. The GSSL cost all of about $500 in parts, and I'm not exactly sure if the Alan Smart sounds 600% better :lol:

*shrug*

they had one the last semester i was at school, but i never had time to use it on the master buss for anything. fucked with it some on a drum buss, and liked it, but that's really all i can tell you - i was too busy breaking in the 16 channels of API they had just gotten!

*shrug*

they had one the last semester i was at school, but i never had time to use it on the master buss for anything. fucked with it some on a drum buss, and liked it, but that's really all i can tell you - i was too busy breaking in the 16 channels of API they had just gotten!

I'm gonna be taking classes there in the fall, cannot fucking wait to use one of those four 3124's!!!

I'm sure the hardware works great, but the plug-in most definitely sounds like a whole different unit. I need something that reacts in a very analogue way to get the right effect, as with that amount of GR plug-ins tend to crap themselves and leave you with nothing but a plastic sounding attack and massive ducking.

Even considering the Dynamic Spectrum Mapper here, but sort of wondering how easy it is to 'mix into', and how well it treats transients.

I'm gonna be taking classes there in the fall, cannot fucking wait to use one of those four 3124's!!!

well whenever you get there, tell stone that nate mowery says hey

also, never touch the U47

actually, in general, don't touch any of their shit unless he says so first! dude's a great engineer and musician, but is also a peculiar guy who has that sort of professional arrogance that puts a lot of people off - get on his good list, though, and he'll have your back forever

Ermz, have you ever heard about the TK Audio BC1?
It's a really nice SSL style compresor and very transparent too!

@Protoss: Thanks a heap, I'll check that one out.

@soundwarebt: I already have the Turbo board and I've switched between that and vanilla with not much success. If anything the Turbo board is even more aggressive.

@Lasse: Yeah I get you. I definitely want the punch from it, but also not to crap out under heavy GR. I was afraid the C2 might come up again.

@Audiophile: You use an 1178 on the masterbus!!??? If you were to attempt anything more than 4dB with that, the transients would be lost to time forever.

Anyway I went back to a mix today and backed off the comp from 5 to 6dB back to around 3 to 4dB. It started to breathe a little more, but it doesn't have the sort of effect I want. Maybe it's for the best? Heavy GR might not be the kind of habit one wants to get into. Mixing around it is one of the funkiest things ever. You have to keep the ducking in mind all the time, and totally screw your levels in order for it to sound right.

mercenary-audio_2094_18328399

this thing... is a BEAST on the mix bus

You already made up your mind that hardware is soooo much better then software plugins so i think that is the route you have to go, and it will cost you.
People have pointed out probably the best software comps, and the hardware units that has good reputation is:

Focusrite RED
SSL G
ALan Smart C2
API 2500
and so on...

And they all cost around 3000$, so maybe it is time to start saving up the cash?? ;)

Thanks guys. Guess there's no way out of forking out a bit of cash.

Greyskull, one of the studios I recorded at had the Phoenix, but I only got a chance to use it on overheads. Not much time to really listen and enjoy sadly. Would love another chance.