Triple Rectifier, getting sick of it. help?

fuzed

New Metal Member
Nov 18, 2008
hi.
I've had this amp for about a year and a half, and STILL failing with it. (yeah what a loser)

It actually sounds good, ONLY when i'm recording with impulses and such, with a low/high pass filter.

The problem I'm still having, is that the amp sounds H O R R I B L E when its loud (jamming/playing shows). I am certain it's just me, because everyone I've talked to gives me a weird look. However, leads are fine on channel 2, thats it.

The amp's high end is out of control, seriously. It's so bad that I can't even hear what I'm playing, even after almost two years of tweaking the amp. ( and even with the presence/treb all the way down)

I even bought an external EQ to cut off the high end but still, sounds awful.

I finally found a sound where you can actually hear the notes with some gain (not even much, about 10-11 o clock) however, the sound is DEF not suitable for metal.

I'm using dimarzio d sonic pickups on the bridge. (yes i have a tubescreamer)

I realize that I am not the best guitar player around, but it definitely isn't my playing. It's just this amp.

Any feedback would seriously be appreciated. Thanks for reading also.

Playing through the traditional mesa 4x12 w v30s

Still using stock tubes, about 1 1/2 years old. I had the same problem when I first got it too, maybe they were bad in the first place?

this is a huge problem. You should sell it before its worthless.

I'd be willing to take it off your hands for $100 bucks :p

Remember that the presence control is super aggressive on the red channel so keep it waaaaay down.

Since this is the Sneap forum, I have to ask, don't tell me you are using the Sneap Recto settings on your red channel? Those were used with the older 2 channel head, the orange channel on a 3 channel head is more like the red on the 2chan heads so if you want to use the "Nevermore" settings, use the orange channel.

So like I mentioned, turn the presence down, 8o'clock (yep, 8o'clock) is usually enough on the red channel.

Then remember, that the treble knob determines how the mid and bass knobs are going to sound, so what I do, if I am going for a smooth lead tone, I turn the treble down, because then the mid and bass are going to sound smoother, if I am going for a wicked rhythm tone, I dial more treble to get more edge.

These are the settings I use for my heavy rhythm tone:

red channel, modern mode, bold, diodes

presence: 8o'clock

bass: 9:30
mid: 10o'clock
treble: 1o'clock

This way I get the edge from the treble, but nnot the fizz from the presence control. These settings sound amazing on the orange channel as well, just dial in s bit more (9o'clock) presence.

And remember to use less gain than you think, 12o'clock is usually more than enough!

I think you should find another Triple Rect. and compare them. If they behave totally different (like the other one sounds just good) there must be something seriously wrong with yours and you should ask a technician to have a look at it.

What about the room(s) your are playing in? They can make best amp sound like s**t, if the are not well prepared for music.

Keep in mind, with amps like the Triple Rec, you need to adjust the volume first and THEN adjust the EQ. Your high end may be controlled when the volume's at 0.5, but when you turn it up to 3, it could be roaring way out of control. Also, the first thing I did when I got a Triple Rec was change the preamp tubes. Big difference.