Triple Rectifiers ?

Pxz

Nov 13, 2006
Chile - La Serena
Finally i'm buying myself a Mesa Boogie. There is two of them near my location, a dual and a triple rec. The Triple i can't play it before buying it but i'm considering that one as a solid option because the seller is asking less money for it. My experience with Mesa's is limited only to Dual rectos .
Any major difference between Triple and a Dual rectifiers?

Not going to be of much help, but I always thought the additional power would be a problem. I've always heard that Rectifiers are amps that sound best when the tubes are pushed at least a little bit.

With the Triple Rec power, I assume that if you don't have a loadbox or some way to reduce the volume, it might be tough to get their nice tone without melting your brain.

Only difference is headroom. Since most of the tone is coming from the preamp stage, I'd go with whatever is cheaper. Yeah, the dual will compress sooner than the triple and get some power tube saturation, but it's still pretty f'n loud to get there!

Only difference is headroom. Since most of the tone is coming from the preamp stage, I'd go with whatever is cheaper. Yeah, the dual will compress sooner than the triple and get some power tube saturation, but it's still pretty f'n loud to get there!

This. I've owned both, my current rig is Dual Rec, and it's FUCKING loud. The Triple has a slight bigger "punch to the gut" kind of tone, perfect for thrash and fast notey stuff, but they're pretty much alike.

If you'd like to check my youtube channel I've got quite a few demos of my Rectifier - www.youtube.com/numbskullaudio

What years are they both? The general consensus is: Early two channel dual = fantastic, early two channel triple = awful. Three channel Triple = fantastic, three channel Dual = awful. 2010-onwards three channel "multiwatt" Dual AND Triple = fucking amazing.

As a proud owner of a triple rec I say go for it. The extra headroom is killer and other than sheer power not too far off from a dual. My only complaints with rectifiers is usually the clean channel but I prefer it on my triple than to what I have heard/played from duals or even single recs and I found a pleasing tone by swapping out pre-amp tubes over and over till I found what I liked on all 3 channels still not as punchy or clean as that fender tone but more than usable. I've owned mine for a decade or so now and 2nd only to a mark 4 I couldn't afford years ago is the best amp I have ever played or owned, took some getting used to how the controls worked with each other and like I said some serious tube swapping but I have been happy ever since. I should also mention I use 6l6s not a fan of the el84's in this amp either.