Turtles All the Way Down - New Album

OdinsCourt

Valhalla
Sep 26, 2003
MD, USA
www.odinscourtband.com
For Immediate Release

Prog Metal Band Odin's Court To Release Eagerly Awaited Fifth Album Turtles All The Way Down

Progressive Metal for fans of Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Devin Townsend, Porcupine Tree, HIM, Iron Maiden, and Queen

Baltimore, MD - USA based progressive rock and metal band Odin's Court's eagerly awaited 5th album Turtles All the Way Down will hit the streets on March 3, 2015. After releasing four diverse albums on ProgRock Records internationally, Odin’s Court will release their latest album independently through their own label D2C Studios.

Band leader Matt Brookins commented on the latest album: “On Turtles All the Way Down, our sound is refined with a balance of modern and classic vibes, while still retaining the signature 'Odin's Court' sound. We also have the 'missing piece' that completes us – a new vocalist that can bring the emotion and technicality to the music that it deserves. Dimetrius LaFavors' vocals, combined with the more mature song writing and production, have taken us to the next level.” The artwork was done by French painter J.P. Fournier.

As with all of the Odin's Court full length releases, the newest is a concept album. This album deals with ideas and questions relating to the entire universe – how did it start, where is it going, what makes it tick, what is its purpose, etc. – from the point of view of the individual's mind. It deals with mankind's quest for knowledge, and how that knowledge changes. New discoveries often change humanity's understanding or turn perceptions upside down, sometimes making long held beliefs immaterial. The title refers to the idiom that references “infinite recursion” or in layman's terms, “what came first: the chicken or the egg?”

Brookins commented on the concept: “In a nutshell, Turtles All the Way Down is about the quest for knowledge, and how the human race learns more through experiments, observation, and discoveries over time. New findings may challenge long held beliefs, which in turn may cause deep thoughts in one's mind for how these findings impact personal or social beliefs. While the songs are much more accessible, the music still has serious intricacies for the technical music lover. The melodies and harmonies with the vocals are catchier than our past work, but thematically this album deals with pretty heavy subject matter. For the prog lover, the concept and lyrics are definitely an order of magnitude above 'Nerd Rock' since it is largely inspired by physics. Of course, the other important inspiration is human emotion, as no matter what science may observe, individuals' experiences always have an intangible factor to them that cannot be truly expressed or understood in textbook terms – they have to be learned through life.”

Check out the video to the first single from the album “…But What’s the Question?”: http://youtu.be/hxkk4gavGnE

Brookins explained the meaning behind the song, “The first single from Turtles All the Way Down is ‘…But What’s the Question?’ The song speaks to humanity’s need to question everything, and while asking questions is important towards obtaining knowledge, we may not always be asking the right questions. Environment and genetics contribution towards individuals and social conditioning, which in turn may result in programming people’s perspectives. Perspectives can warp and shadow the way we approach problems or questions, and thus cause people to often ask the wrong questions - which means getting the wrong answers.”

Odin's Court is a Maryland, USA based band that was formed by Matt Brookins in 2001. The band is best described as progressive metal & rock, fusing classic and modern sounds that transcend several genres. In 2013, the band picked up lead vocalist Dimetrius LaFavors; with a voice reminiscent of classic vocalists in the rock, metal, and progressive genres, he added the “final piece” needed to polish off the band's sound, while still maintaining a unique voice. Rick Pierpont, an infectious presence on stage, provides excellent and exciting leads that soar through the music. Brookins provides additional vocals and performs on various instruments as needed, doubling as band producer. The current line up started gigging in 2013, and has been winning over new fans with each show performed.

Odin's Court:
Matt Brookins - Vocalist, Guitarist, Keyboardist, and multi-instrumentalist
Rick Pierpont - Guitarist, Backing Vocalist
Dimetrius LaFavors – Vocalist
Gary Raub – Drummer, Percussionist, and Backing Vocalist
Jason Pierpont – Bassist

Odin's Court has been known to perform energetic live shows in the United States, primarily gigging on the east coast doing festivals, short tours, and one-off performances. The band has shared the stage with many classic and modern greats, including (but not limited too) Symphony X, Spock’s Beard, King’s X, Kamelot, Steve Whiteman (Kix, Funny Money), Sonata Arctica, Helloween, Jon Oliva’s Pain, Zero Hour, Crimson Glory, Circle II Circle, Devin Townsend, Circa, Enchant, and more.

Here's what the press have raved about Odin's Court:

“You just want to sit back and let the music wash over you.” - Hardrock Haven

“The very core of songwriting...is very good so there is plenty to sink your teeth into.” - Metal Revolution

“Odin's Court delivers...heavy riffs, melodic vocals, lush keyboards, and interesting instrumental runs.” - Prog Archives

“A truly impressive effort, with solid songwriting and outstanding musicianship. Terrific melodic prog/metal that gets better with every listen!” – USA Progressive Music

“4.5 out of 5: Turtles All the Way Down is an exceptional album of classic melodic progressive rock and metal…Easily recommended.” – Danger Dog

“Odin's Court mixes metal and hard rock to a tasty menu that you can enjoy anytime.” – Proggies.ch

In closing Matt Brookins has this to impart, “The main message is that life is a beautiful journey and as far as we can observe with empirical results, only happens one. So stop and smell the roses. Question things. Seek knowledge. Learn. Gain experience. Don't believe everything you're told without your own research. Don't be a slave to old ideals or institutions if you have reason to believe new discoveries tell you something else. Form relationships and work to sustain them.”

To purchase Odin's Court Turtles All the Way Down CD:
http://www.OdinsCourtBand.Com/store.html
http://odinscourt.bandcamp.com/music
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R82X2QC/
http://itunes.apple.com/album/id951784646

Catch Odin’s Court Live:
February 28 – Crossroads – Glen Burnie, MD (Baltimore, MD) – CD Release Party
March 14 – Memories – Waldorf, MD (Washington DC) – CD Release Party
May 5 – NJ Proghouse – Dunellen, NJ – With Inside Out Recording Artist Enchant
May 6 – Fish Head Cantina –Baltimore, MD – With Inside Out Recording Artist Enchant
May 7 – Empire – Springfield, VA (Washington DC) – With Inside Out Recording Artist Enchant
May 8 – 120 Tavern – Atlanta, GA – With Inside Out Recording Artist Enchant
May 9 – TBD – TBD –Raleigh / Durham, NC

Email: band@odinscourtband.com

OFFICIAL SITES:
Band: www.OdinsCourtBand.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/odinscourtband
YouTube: www.youtube.com/odinscourt

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 828-350-8158, glassonyonpr@gmail.com

You can (pre)order the CD on Amazon, the Odin's Court website, Bandcamp, Nightmare Records, and more to come.

Digitally, the album can be found on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, YouTube Music, Spotify, Xbox Music, Rdio, Play.me, Claro Musica, Target Music, Neurotic Media, Spinlet, KKBox, Anghami, Akazoo, Guvera, Beats Music, Slacker, JB Hi-Fi Now Music, Digital, Juke MyMusic, Gracenote, Shazam, Music Unlimited, Wimp, eMusic, Muve Music, Mix Radio, iHeart Radio, Rhapsody, Simfy, and Deezer.

A great review: http://www.the-rocker.co.uk/

ODIN’S COURT - Turtles All The Way Down

I presume the title is an in joke for Terry Pratchett fans, but this is a welcome return from a prog metal outfit I’d forgotten about. I vaguely remember enjoying “Human Life In Motion”, and the in jokes for sci fi and fantasy fans continue with the album being dived into three parts – Universe, Life, and Everything. As before, it’s the brainchild of Matt Brookins who takes care of the songs, electric & acoustic guitars, keyboards, bass, drums and percussion. The show off.

Now, Odin’s Court fall on the prog side of the fence dividing prog and metal, but they’ve always had a spine of steel running through their music (although probably not on their acoustic album). And that’s the case here as they work their way through the Pink Floyd, Dream Theater influences to come up with their own unique sound.

A special mention goes to new singer, the splendidly name Dimetrius LaFavors who hits some notes that only dogs can hear, and is definitely a singer going places. Song wise, it’s hard to pick a winner, as there isn’t a bum track on the record, but I’d proably go for the epic that is ‘Box of Dice (Does God Play?)’. The twin guitar work, which sees Brookins team up with Rick Pierpont is also a real feature, and this is an album that prog fans should be hunting down.

4.5 out of 5 review! http://www.dangerdog.com/2015-music-reviews/odins-court-turtles-all-the-way-down.php#.VNOZc53F_wg

It's been several years, four at least, since I've heard from Odin's Court. They've given us an all acoustic album and compilation since 2011's Human Life In Motion, my last experience with the band. Now the band returns their latest, Turtles All The Way Down, a concept album that returns the band to it's earlier musical roots of melodic progressive rock with a touch of metal.

The title needs some explanation. It refers to "infinite regress problem in cosmology posed by the "unmoved mover" paradox." In the words, who made the world or universe, and who made them, ad infinitum. The origin of the expression "Turtles all the way down" is somewhat apocryphal, supposedly coming from the idea that the world is flat and supported on the back of a turtle. When the person who posited the theory was asked, who supports the turtle, they answered with this clever anecdote: "It's turtles all the way down."

We should be moving on to the music, but here's a few more observations to ponder. The title and it's explanation may remind you of Terry Pratchett in his many Discworld stories. In the Discworld universe, the earth is flat, supported by four elephants who in turn are standing upon a large turtle. Of course, our question is asked once more. Wherein we're informed, "the turtle doesn't sit on anything; it swims." Makes you wonder whether Odin's Court founder, lyricist, composer, multi-instrumentalist, and resident musical guru Matt Brookins was doing some Discworld reading.

Additionally, somewhat getting to the music at hand, Turtles All the Way Down is divided into three parts: Universe, Life, and Everything. This may remind you of another playful writer within the humorous side of sci-fi and fantasy fiction, Douglas Adams and his third book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series with a slightly rearranged title. By the way, the answer to the ultimate question of Life, The Universe, and Everything is 42. Once more, perhaps Brookins was contemplating traveling the galaxy with Adams. I suspect, rather, he's chuckling to himself at my rather extensive excursion into his thought process.

But some words, if only brief, about the music within Turtles All the Way Down. This material is basically straightforward progressive rock touched with metal, mostly driven by Brookins melodic arrangements and centered upon the dual guitar work between he and fellow guitarist Rick Pierpoint. Like blood brothers in music, they have a similar tone and expression which makes for a seamless harmony. If you're bit of a guitar geek, as I am, you'll find the texture of the riffs and the thrill of leads quite satisfying. And these are identified in the booklet for you, a nice touch. There's some dueling going with keyboards, mostly in the final track.

As for the arrangements, I would not call the compositions hyper-technical; this is not some weird math metal. But there are twists and intrigue from the usual suspects of instrumentation, tempo, and such. What I caught most of all within the songs was a true sense of groove and harmony, which gave the songs real liveliness and emotion. Conversely, I struggled more than a little with the vocals. Dimetrius LaFavors basically sings clean and melodic, but often seem muted by the production, his voice being often indistinct and unclear. Other times, as with the vocal arrangement of The Warmth of Mediocrity, you discover his natural gift for melody and harmony. All in all, Turtles All the Way Down is an exceptional album of classic melodic progressive rock and metal, perhaps even Odin's Court's best work to date. Easily recommended.

Another outstanding review: http://www.usaprogmusic.com/joomla/...iew=607-Odin-s-Court-Turtles-All-the-Way-Down

Odin’s Court - Turtles All the Way Down cover

When Odin’s Court bandleader Matt Brookins got in touch regarding their newest release, the title instantly caused me to perk up – Turtles All the Way Down? The age-old dilemma of first cause explanations is something I’m familiar with through the writings of Stephen Hawking & Richard Dawkins, but having it approached musically is definitely not something I’d seen before!

Heady stuff indeed, but the big surprise is how effortlessly they incorporated such a grand concept into the album (by way of contrast, Ayreon’s The Theory of Everything dealt more with the characters than the scientific concepts in a hit-and-miss rock opera). Divided into three parts (Universe, Life, Everything), the compositions address various questions that have concerned mankind throughout history – Why are we here? Is this an accident, or is there some grander plan that brought us here? More importantly, can these questions even be answered by science alone? In the end, no matter how clever we think we are, “it’s turtles all the way down” is probably as good an explanation as any.

Musically, the band covers a lot of ground with equal aplomb; from Matt Brookins' David Gilmour influenced opening solo on “Turtles All the Way Down, Pt. 1” to the powerful 17 minute closing track “Box of Dice (Does God Play?)”. One of the real highlights along the way is the ballad “(A Song for) Dragons”, in which new vocalist Dimetrius LaFavors showcases his impressive Steve Perry-like range over a simple background consisting mostly of acoustic guitar and piano.

Turtles All the Way Down is a truly impressive effort, with solid songwriting and outstanding musicianship. The vocal arrangements are impeccable, the guitar work from both Matt and Rick Pierpont is top notch, and nowhere is there an instance of chops overshadowing the compositions – a mistake so many groups make in an effort to impress. Although the band’s influences (Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, and Kings X come to mind) are occasionally worn on the sleeve, they distill them into a unique sound, especially in the lead and harmony vocal work.

Although they have been covered by usaprog previously, Odin’s Court is a new group for me, and a very welcome one at that. Turtles All the Way Down is terrific melodic prog/metal that gets better with repeated listening, and I couldn’t be prouder to have them as our first album review of 2015.

http://www.odinscourtband.com

Personnel

Matt Brookins: Electric & Acoustic Guitars, Keyboards, Backing and Lead Vocals, Bass, Programming, Drums, Percussion, and Sound Effects

Rick Pierpont: Electric Guitars, Backing Vocals

Dimetrius LaFavors: Lead Vocals

Additional contributions by: John Abella, Nicki Brookins, Matt Knight, Seth Jackson, Jeff Sauber, Craig Jackson, and Savino Palumbo

A good German review: http://proggies.ch/wordpress/?p=1476

Vor einigen Jahren, als das Label ProgRock Records noch aktiv war, bekam ich regelmässig Promos zugeschickt. Darunter gesellte sich eines Tages auch Deathanity, das Debütalbum von Odin’s Court. Die Cd hinterliess bei mir allerdings keinen besonderen Eindruck, da ich mich bekanntlich mit ProgMetal etwas schwer tue. Ich hatte die Band eigentlich total vergessen, bis ich vor kurzem persönlich von Bandleader Matt Brookins kontaktiert wurde und man mich bat, das neue Album Turtles All The Way Down zu rezensieren. Dieser Bitte komme ich nun gerne nach. In der Tat ertappe ich mich selbst, wie ich manchmal dank meiner Vorurteile ganz gute Musik verpasse. Nicht, dass jetzt Odin’s Court für mich die Offenbarung wären. Aber eigentlich mag ich Hard Rock doch sehr. Und Odin’s Court’s Wurzeln liegen sicher bei Vorbildern wie Black Sabbath (wo sie sicher auch den Bandnamen abgeleitet haben), Iron Maiden, Rainbow oder Deep Purple. An einigen Stellen geht’s schon ziemlich ab und bedient die typischen Klischees der Hard Rock bzw Metalszene. Aber im grossen und ganzen ist das sehr erträglich produzierte Musik mit messerscharfen Riffs, melodiös geprägt und mit einem Sänger, der mich stimmlich überzeugen kann. Zur Zeit besteht die Band neben Brookins aus Sänger Dimetrius Lavafors und Gitarrist Rick Pierfont. Brookins zeigt sich verantwortlich für den ganzen Rest. Der Schwachpunkt von Turtles All The Way Down sind vielleicht die Drums, die an einigen Stellen programmiert oder elektronisch geprägt klingen. Und gerade im Metal-Bereich ist das etwas gewöhnungsbedürftig. Aber ich hab da schon wesentlich schlechtere Beispiele gehört.

Fazit: Odin’s Court vermischen Metal und Hard Rock zu einem geschmackvollen Menü, das man jederzeit geniessen kann. Ich würde die Cd als gutes Mittlelmass bezeichnen. Nicht mehr und nicht weniger. Black Sabbath-Fans sollten aber mal ein Ohr riskieren.

5 Star fan review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Odins-Court-T...sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

As Kickstarter supporter I got my copy of Odin's Court's new album Turtles All the Way Down on Friday and it's been a pleasure listening to it almost exclusively (had to make room for Phineas and Ferb and Tinker Bell in the car... kids...). It is most definitely the best Odin's Court has sounded to date. The compositions, the execution, the production, the mix - all great. And the geek element. Cannot forget the geek element.

My new current favorite song is Insomnia. I am a sucker for a catchy riff and this one definitely has it. The new vocalist has such a smooth, clean voice! I miss Matt's vocals, which you can still hear in the harmonies, but Dimetrius is definitely a solid addition to the band. The dueling guitars between Matt and Rick are top notch. Overall, the album is heavy, proggy, and... wait for it... happy.

Fan reviews from ProgPower forum: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ter-new-odins-court-album-2.html#post10957370

I got my copy in last Friday and had a chance to give it a whirl today.

Worth the price of admission. Vocals are spot on, fantastic. Super smooth and just plain great to listen to, imo. This is a very solid piece of melodic prog. I wager it should make you some new fans.

I attended the preview listening party and I can say that I think that many on the forum will be very pleased with the new album. The last song, an extended proggy piece, is my favorite. This is a huge step forward for Odin's Court. I just got my copy today and I can't wait to spend some quality time with it.

This is by far the best Odin's Court album. Dimetrius' vocals adds a new dimension to the band. I'm proud that I was able to contribute to the production via Kickstarter. Looking forward to your live shows coming in February and March.

What the hell are the folks up in the DC area eating and drinking? The ASoT and Iris Divine projects and now this? Whatever it is, I'll have seconds. Just another quality result here. So cool to be able to support good work and good people.

http://www.heavy-metal.de/?id=29282

TURTLES ALL THE WAY DOWN

Odin`s COURT

But now, there are 2015 new fabric from the house Odin`s COURT and I serve you here. The current release is named "Turtles all the way down".

13 songs have made it to the new shekel. And what I hear, I like it. The band from the area of ​​progressive rock and metal has been associated with this album is a concept album at the start. What Geht's !? It is a big issue, the overriding thing at all. It is about nothing less than the entire universe. How did everything in, how are you on and where does the way !?

The tracks on this album are divided into 3 sections. First, the "universe", then the "life" and most recently "Everything".

In each of the 3 sections, there is a part of the 3-part title track. The influences of the material on this release are completely diverse. From metal veterans like IRON MAIDEN about the cult Progger of DREAM THEATER to HIM or QUEEN.

What we get then? Some great songs with great passion and melody. An expressive vocals, intense use of keyboards and precise guitar work combined with progressive drumming. Because moods are created and creates an atmosphere ... at some point you get almost goosebumps. A band that definitely gets far too little attention in the global scene.

Outside of the "professional" contacts, I have not heard little of Odin`s COURT. Ensures times that it is different and we get the band to talk beyond the American home on the stage ...

Amplified Rock Fanzine review (PDF through email):

Odin’s Court are a US based progressive metal band. I’d never heard of them before the link to the album dropped into my inbox asking nicely if I’d have a listen. It’s a concept album funnily enough for a Prog band, it apparently deals with the big questions relating to the Universe, from the viewpoint of the individual.

The “Turtles” part is taken from Hawking’s A Brief History of Time”, Bertrand Russell once gave a lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?"

"You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's turtles all the way down!"

As a Pratchett fan though I prefer the idea that the band are likewise afficianados of the Discworld and Douglas Adams.

The inspirations musically behind the group are obviously Dream Theater, Floyd, Rush, I caught a few parts that wouldn’t be out of place on Ziltoid, mixed with some good old Metal like Maiden or Helloween , that doesn’t mean the album is derivative, far from it, it’s fresh and varied enough to hold your attention, the production is faultless, composition is well thought out and everything sits exactly where it should, there’s nothing jarring or out of place.

Arrangements aren’t overly technical, there are twists and tension within the songs, what is blatantly clear is that the band enjoyed making this album, the sense of joy bleeds through, “Back where the daffodils grow” is a couple of minutes of light hearted noise making sitting halfway through that lightens the mood without sounding silly.

Straightforward prog rock tinged with metal, with ambient elements, elodic guitar arrangements, keyboards and guitar work well with and against each other. A recommended purchase

4 Stars out of 5 at Sea of Tranquility - http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=17240

Odin's Court is a heavy rock band from Maryland who have seven CDs under their belts, the latest titled Turtles All the Way Down.

The only disc I have heard by the band is Deathanity, released in 2008 and from what I remember I liked it but have not played it in quite some time. When Turtles All the Way Down arrived in my mailbox my curiosity was piqued as I hadn't thought of this band in along time.

There have been a few changes in the intervening years as the band are now a three piece; Matt Brookins (electric and acoustic guitars, keyboards, backing and lead vocals, bass, programming, drums, percussion, sound effects), Rick Pierpont (electric guitars, backing vocals) and Dimetrius LaFavors (vocals). Guest musicians include former band mates John Abella (vocals), Savino Palumbo (keyboards), Craig Jackson (bass), Jeff Sauber (drums and percussion) and Seth Jackson (bass).

On Turtles All the Way Down the band play heavy rock inundated with catchy guitar riffs, cool keyboard passages and excellent lead vocals. While there are proggy touches in many songs, this is not an overtly progressive album. Of course that shouldn't matter when the music is so well played, upbeat and catchy as any rock/metal album I have heard in a while.

The title track is broken up into three parts and has a sound that strongly recalls Pink Floyd with Gilmour-like stabs of guitar laid over a crystalline keyboard soundscape. Melodic heavy rock can best be heard in "And the Answer is…" and "…But What's the Question?" both featuring catchy riffs and strong lead vocals. "Insomnia" is another heavy rocker beginning with a barrage of keyboards and guitars before a moodier theme ensues. The vocal arrangement is an album highlight.

The last track is the seventeen minute "Box of Dice (Does God Play?)" showcasing the band's progressive side. Staccato riffs, shifting tempos, fabulous guitar and keyboard interplay and soaring lead work makes this a fabulous musical statement.

Turtles All the Way Down is an excellent heavy rock album that should have tremendous crossover appeal for fans outside the prog genre while still retaining a complexity and high level of musicianship that fans of melodic progressive rock are searching for. Released on Progrock Records.

http://annecarlini.com/ex_cd.php?id=1455:

First things first, and whoever created the artwork for this eagerly-awaited fifth album from Odin’s Court deserves an Oscar! I mean, to be given an album title such as Turtles All The Way Down and to still be able to come up with such a conceptual animation of cover art is, well, a feckin’ genius! [Just found out it was French painter J.P. Fournier. As I say, feckin‘ genius!]

OK, moving on and USA based progressive rock and metal band Odin’s Court have unleashed their epic, and highly-anticipated new, and fifth album Turtles All the Way Down this very month of March. Fans of the band already are well versed in the fact that Odin’s Court have already brought forth four other highly diverse albums (on ProgRock Records internationally). But here on the new release, Odin’s Court have decided to go the independent route and bring it out via their own label, D2C Studios.

Formed in Maryland by Matt Brookins in 2001, Odin’s Court - Brookins (Vocalist, Guitarist, Keyboardist, and multi-instrumentalist); Rick Pierpont (Guitarist, Backing Vocalist); Dimetrius LaFavors (Vocalist); Gary Raub (Drummer, Percussionist, and Backing Vocalist); and Jason Pierpont (Bassist) - have stepped up their game this time. Adding a more refined balance of modern and classic vibes, whilst still harboring all the known Odin characteristics, Turtles All the Way Down is an epic three piece concept album.

Featuring three chapters that deal with mankind’s quest for knowledge - Universe, Life and Everything - together with a new vocalist in LaFlavor, Odin’s Court expand their musical horizons by making new discoveries along the way. It’s true that the melodies and harmonies are all noticeably catchier than on the quartet of albums that have gone before, but thematically the album still deals with pretty heavy subject matter to the band.

Indeed, as Brookins himself has said about this crucial-to-the-genre work of prog rock, “The main message is that life is a beautiful journey and as far as we can observe with empirical results, only happens once. So stop and smell the roses.” Amen, brother. Amen.

French review http://www.musicwaves.fr/frmReview.aspx?ID=12580&REF=ODIN-S-COURT_Turtles-All-The-Way-Down:

Odin’s Court nous aura provoqué bien des sueurs froides. Après un effort timidement reçu par la rédaction en 2011 puis un compilation et un album acoustique, nous ne donnions pas grand-chose de la peau de ce trio américain plutôt orienté métal progressif.

Exit le chanteur/bassiste et le batteur, le groupe mené par Matt Brookins a su trouvé en Dimetrius LaFavors un leader vocal de bon niveau prêt à porter les treize compositions de ce concept album. Le leader en profitant pour prendre son compte la 4-cordes et les fûts, et cela ne se ressent pratiquement pas mis part sur la longue suite finale.

Le titre éponyme se décompose en 3 parties judicieusement placées en ouverture, milieu et avant-dernière position. Cette déclinaison fait honneur à Pink Floyd avec soli de guitare –entre Mike Oldfield pour le son et Nick Barrett pour le touché- bruitages et rythmiques mid-tempi minimaliste.

Une plage finale (‘Box Of Dice (Does God Play ?)’) de plus de 17 minutes est à l’honneur regroupant l’ensemble des émotions présentes sur "Turtles All The Way Down" avec maints changements d’atmosphères et différents soli de claviers et guitares. Bien sûr, sur la longueur il est forcément difficile de capter une attention continue mais le groupe arrive tout de même à offrir des tableaux captivants et sources de motivations auditives.

Finalement, la composante progressive prend le pas sur la partie métal en offrant une orchestration où les riffs agressifs sont plutôt accompagnateurs se cachant régulièrement vers quelques solis courts et mélodiques. Sans tomber dans la démonstration inutile, le trio déroule un léger métal progressif harmonieux et accessible.

Prenant enfin conscience du potentiel qu’il a entre les mains, Matt Brookins repositionne Odin’s Court sur les bons rails et permet raisonnablement de penser que l’avenir du groupe deviendra radieux si le trio confirme dans la voie qu’il vient d’ouvrir.

http://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/odins-court-turtles-all-the-way-down/

Odin’s Court is a Maryland, USA band that was formed by vocalist/guitarist Matt Brookins in 2001. The band is best described as rock & metal, fusing classic and modern sounds that transcend several genres. They have released 4 CDs worldwide and done touring in the United States. For the first 7 years of its existence, the band was independent, self-financing 3 albums (2002 demo Odin’s Court, 2003 album Driven by Fate, and 2005 album ReDriven by Fate). In 2008, Odin’s Court signed with ProgRock Records, and has since released 4 albums through PRR and their partner labels worldwide.

After a four year wait the band is set to release their latest prog rock opus the curiously titled Turtles All The Way Down. When researching the album titles origins, I learned that that “Turtles all the way down” is a jocular expression of the infinite regress problem in cosmology posed by the “unmoved mover” paradox. The metaphor in the anecdote represents a popular notion of the myth that Earth is actually flat and is supported on the back of a World Turtle, which itself is propped up by a chain of larger and larger turtles. Questioning what the final turtle might be standing on, the anecdote humorously concludes that it is “turtles all the way down”. Pretty heady stuff for a progressive rock band! Color me intrigued!

I have been familiar with the band for some time, however aside from a few songs, I had never had the opportunity to sit down and listen to a full Odin’s Court album until now. The bands sound is less “metal” and more melodic hard rock with progressive leanings. Musically, the vocal harmonies, guitar riffs, and chord phrasing are reminiscent of King’s X (one of my all time favorites). The title track is broken up into three parts throughout the album: Universe, Life, and Everything. And The Answer Is… kicks things off with a funky riff with progressive time changes. Vocalist Dimetrius LaFavors has a pleasant melodic voice, but there is something odd about his tone that I can’t quite pin down, not bad necessarily, just quirky. …But What’s The Question? continues the crunchy melodic rock with another great guitar riff and melody.

One of the standout tracks to me is (A Song For) Dragons. While the title brings to mind Dio-esque power metal, the song is actually a slow piano laden mid-tempo soulful quasi-ballad, although I hate to use the term ballad when describing this song. The vocals are powerful and LaFavors best performance on the album. The guitar work is stellar with some stunningly crystalline solo work from Brookins and fellow guitarist Rick Pierpont. The acappella three part vocal harmony intro, metal riffage, and driving double bass drumming on The Death Of A Sun brings classic Galactic Cowboys to mind.

The band saves the best for last with its most progressive as well as metal sounding track, the seventeen-minute plus opus Box of Dice (Does God Play?). The songs has plenty of lead guitar and frenzied keyboard interplay with odd-time signatures, and LaFavors lead vocals work extremely well here as do the three part vocal harmonies and Brookins aggressive vocals weaved into the fray.

Odin’s Court have crafted a classy and enjoyable album that may not win over the metal elite but most mainstream hard rock fans would enjoy Turtles All The Way Down and the band add just enough progressive elements to please the ever elusive “Prog Snobs”.

www.midwestrecord.com:

ODIN’S COURT/Turtles All the Way Down: Prog rock with lots of chords and weighty questions are on tap for the youthful mind that just can’t stand the philistines around the local high school. A retreat into jazz meets prog on a far off street corner, you can hear the air guitar played loud and proud by all this touches. You can’t blame the kids for wanting their own stuff, Pink Floyd was grandpa’s music.

http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/album-review-odins-court-turtles-all-the-way-down

There is an old story in the worlds of physics and metaphysics (very different things, by the way) about a confrontation between a scientist and what we will call a layperson. They were debating the origin of the universe, when she proposes that the world sits atop the back of a giant turtle. The scientist asks the obvious question, what is below the turtle? She scoffs, as the the question is ridiculous. The answer, she says, is another turtle. In fact, it's turtles all the way down.

Albums don't often attempt to take on material quite as weighty as the very existence of the universe, but that story is the through-line underpinning the new Odin's Court album, which takes progressive metal down the rabbit hole, seeing just how many turtles there are holding up this blue marble we're trapped on. [Am I the only person who, every time I think of that concept, wants to believe it's actually Dr. Suess' creation, and we sit atop Yertle?]

After the first part of the triptych title track, “And The Answer Is...” kicks off the proper songs with a bang, mixing crunching metal riffs with smoothly melodic vocals. New singer Dimetrius LaFavors rises above the music, his voice a solid expression of what you would expect from progressive metal of this kind. The section with call and response backing vocals is beautiful, but the song is more in service of the concept than existing on its own.
Everything about it is good, but the lack of a repeating hook works with the overall concept, but makes it a tough way to open the album.

The song segues into its second half, “...But What's The Question”, which was released as the teaser for the album. This song is even better, with a few crushing riffs, some soaring solos, and a chorus that sticks with you. This half of the song is impressive, and raises the expectations for the rest of the album.

What I appreciate most about this kind of progressive metal is that, while dealing with concepts and heady material, the music itself stays firmly rooted in traditional heavy metal. The mix of technical soloing with riffs and rhythms that are familiar to people without advanced music degrees is one that pays off, both in terms of reflecting the diversity of the universe being pondered, and in terms of making the album easier for listeners to get into. Too often, progressive metal bands race through demanding riffs one after the other, with little thought to whether any of it makes sense to people who haven't broken it down note by note on staff paper. This music does.
The highlight of the album is the lead playing of Matt Brookings and Rick Pierpont, of which there is plenty. Both in the breaks in songs, and the several instrumentals, they take turns playing richly melodic solos that more often than not make the absence of vocals more of a curiosity than an issue. Not many guitarists who don't specialize in instrumental music can take the reigns for that long without losing my patience, but these guys do a fine job of structuring their solos as actual songs, giving you something to come back to and remember besides a flashy run of notes.

Five instrumental pieces might bit much, because the songs themselves deliver. A song like “The Warmth Of Mediocrity” is a great little piece of laid-back melodic metal that takes advantage of the band's ability to layer in backing vocals. When there are songs this engaging, the choice to not focus on those abilities is a bit frustrating.

The album culminates in the 17 minute “Box Of Dice (Does God Play?)”, which is where the band flexes their progressive muscles. Across five movements, the band throws in their most intricate playing, some great guitar/keyboard solo duels, and plenty of beautiful melodies to go along. The song is, really, everything you'd expect good progressive metal to be. It showcases everything Odin's Court is capable of, while wrapping it up in a veneer that is still accessible for the listener. It's a great song, and the only way the album could have been ended.

Overall, “Turtles All The Way Down” is a very good album, but I can't say it's without flaws. There are some wonderful songs on the album, and the overall approach is one that I admire, but I can't escape the feeling that the album got tripped up a bit by the concept. Condensing the instrumentals into two tracks, to reduce the breakup of the songs, would have been a help. There's just a bit too much starting and stopping through the listening experience for my tastes. The main songs get better and better as the album progresses, and it's just a shame there are a few things standing in the way of them being highlighted as much as they could be. I like “Turtles All The Way Down” quite a bit, so don't let that sound like any major criticism. It's just a bit of constructive advice from someone who thinks a good album could have been made even greater.

TAtWD Fireworks (Web).jpg

http://0dayrox.blogspot.com/2015/03...yche-Allen-Lande-Fates-Warning-Threshold.html

Despite their 'Scandinavian' name, ODIN'S COURT hails from Maryland, US, formed in 2001 and with seven CDs under their belts, but their latest, just released album titled "Turtles All The Way Down" it's my first approach to them.
First of all, if seeing the band's moniker, the artwork or the album title, you think this is a power metal affair, you're wrong. And better continue reading, as this is very recommendable stuff.

On "Turtles All The Way Down" Odin's Court play a mixture inundated with catchy guitar riffs, cool keyboard passages and excellent lead vocals. While there are proggy touches in many songs, this is not an overtly progressive album.
The title needs some explanation. It refers to 'infinite regress problem in cosmology posed by the unmoved mover paradox'. In the words, who made the world or universe, and who made them, ad infinitum.
The origin of the expression "Turtles All The Way Down" is somewhat apocryphal, supposedly coming from the idea that the world is flat and supported on the back of a turtle. When the person who posited the theory was asked, who supports the turtle, they answered with this clever anecdote: "It's turtles all the way down."
This is a concept album, but the songs can be randomly heard with the same great effect.

Let's go with the music: Odin's Court blends metal, hard and prog, yet all done with the melody as main point. In fact, at places you got melodic hard rock leanings. There's no harsh sounds here, everything sounds extremely polished, lush and clean.
The title track is broken up into three parts, opening the CD with first driven by a melodic guitar work laid over a crystalline keyboard soundscape.
Next there's a couple of chained tracks; "And the Answer Is..." / "...but What's the Question?" and here you can listen Odin's Court mastery. These cuts mixes melodic prog metal with hard rock, where the vocal harmonies, crunchy guitar riffs, and chord phrasing are reminiscent of King’s X meets Queensryche, but not 'dark', all is very 'bright' and catchy.

The music is mostly driven by leader Matt Brookins melodic arrangements and centered upon the dual guitar work between he and fellow guitarist Rick Pierpoint. Like blood brothers in music, they have a similar tone and expression which makes for a seamless harmony. If you're bit of a guitar geek, as I am, you'll find the texture of the riffs and the thrill of leads really enjoyable.

"Insomnia" is another heavy rocker beginning with a barrage of keyboards and guitars before a moodier theme ensues. The vocal arrangement on this track is an album highlight. Talking about vocals, Odin's Court show for the first time here new singer Dimetrius Lafavors, a guy with a smooth, clean voice.
One of the standout tracks to me is "(A Song For) Dragons". While the title brings to mind Dio-esque metal, the song is actually a slow piano laden midtempo, a soulful quasi-ballad. The vocals are powerful and LaFavors' best performance on the album. The guitar work is stellar with some stunningly spiraling solo from both Brookins / Pierpont.

Then the acappella three-part vocal harmony intro, metal riffage, and kicking drumming on "The Death Of A Sun" add some heaviness to the album, yet as happens throughout, with lots of melody.
The band saves another highlight to the end with its most progressive as well as metal sounding track, the seventeen-minute plus opus "Box of Dice (Does God Play?)". This is a killer composition plenty of of lead guitar and frenzied keyboard interplay with odd-time signatures, shifting tempos and soaring vocals.
LaFavors lead vocals work extremely well placed here as do the three part harmonies and Brookins aggressive vocals weaved into the fray, making this a fabulous musical statement.

"Turtles All The Way Down" is an excellent polished heavy rock album that should have tremendous crossover appeal for fans outside the prog genre while still retaining a complexity and high level of musicianship that fans of melodic progressive rock are searching for.
Odin's Court is a great band, I mean great, believe me.
So this is Highly Recommended for all metal-related fans, including progsters, hard rockers and even lovers of the harder side of AOR.