Tutorial/Video: How do record drums? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Ok, here's a vid explaining how I get my drum sounds. Hopefully you guys find it helpful in some way.

Since Windows Movie Maker is so shit, it wouldn't let me overlay pics of the processing I did. So here are the pics. Note, this is REALLY rough, just to give you an idea of what I would do to it. But nothing really matters since its out of a mix and it sounds kinda weird and thin, but I'd assume it'd work in a mix.

Overheads:
OH%20Processing.JPG

Room:
RoomProcessing.JPG

Kick:
Kick%20Processing.JPG

Snare:
Snare%20Processing.JPG

Number 1 thing is: HIT HARD.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow this video kicks major ass, it really breaks down what each drum should sound like before and after, which is very helpful especially cause i just use superior and an electronic kit so i really have no concept of micing a kit. Great tutorial morgan c!

Thanks for this man.

I will also add a comment along the lines of "you don't look like what I was expecting you to look like".

:lol:

Thanks Morgan for the video!Please post screens of your toms processing!

I have no tom mics! I use samples which I made with the e902 I use for the kick. Scoop at 300hz and that's it.

Yeah I guess we all pictured you as one of the hot girls you use for avatars hahahah (if it's not the same girl, I don't know)

Sorry to disappoint! ;p And its a different girl each time.

I do need a haircut bad :/ lol

Btw, the SPL Attacker that I use on the snare drum is, imo, MUCH better than Dominion. Both are free (altho SPL I don't think anymore), but Dominion just gives the drum more attack, while SPL gives it more attack AND makes the attack (but not the decay) brighter. Which is really good for real drums that are quite dull a lot of the time. Also you have to set the gain going into/out of Dominion just right or it clips.

"Hey guyz, im gonna show you how I can't record drum but I do it anyway".

I trully mean no offense dude, but I missed the part where it's supposed to demonstrate the basic principles of recording drums.

"Hey guyz, im gonna show you how I can't record drum but I do it anyway".

I trully mean no offense dude, but I missed the part where it's supposed to demonstrate the basic principles of recording drums.

Not sure what you were expecting here..
You got to see what equipment I use, what mic positions I use, hear the raw sounds and how it translates into a mix. I didn't really go into tuning, which I could have, but I didn't want to mess up the sounds I had that I need for tracking.

I didn't go into 'put the cable into the microphone, then the other end of the cable into your interface. Turn on your interface and plug it into your computer. Set up the inputs, make sure you're not clipping, hit 'R' to record.'

What were you expecting..?

Not sure what you were expecting here..
You got to see what equipment I use, what mic positions I use, hear the raw sounds and how it translates into a mix. I didn't really go into tuning, which I could have, but I didn't want to mess up the sounds I had that I need for tracking.

I didn't go into 'put the cable into the microphone, then the other end of the cable into your interface. Turn on your interface and plug it into your computer. Set up the inputs, make sure you're not clipping, hit 'R' to record.'

What were you expecting..?

Hey sure,why not? It would have make sense.
Say I am a noob, what am I supposed to learn from your video?
I mean other than that Morgan lad from australia is recording his drums with budget microphones in his garage.

Maybe it would have been useful to dig deeper into the reasons why it's generally a bad idea to record acoustic drums in a small untreated space.
You know, how reflexions will affect your sound by creating all sorts adverse effects.
Not just saying "hey it's bad but I do it anyway".

Actually explaining why standing waves, early reflexions, acoustic resonances are the enemy.
How you should take the polar patern of your mics,their position, the place you chose to put the drum in into consideration to minimize those problems.
Why phase coherence is vital.
Why you'd choose an OH placement over another considering both the space you're recording in and the style of music.
What kind of stereo imaging you are going for... etc

Also the processing part makes no sense at all to me. If it's corrective processing, I think you should at least explain why you are doing it. If it's aesthetic, it needs a context.

I don't know. I'm not the one making a tutorial.
All I am saying is , if you are going to teach people how to do something, do it well.

I mean other than that Morgan lad from australia is recording his drums with budget microphones in his garage.

Maybe it would have been useful to dig deeper into the reasons why it's generally a bad idea to record acoustic drums in a small untreated space.
You know, how reflexions will affect your sound by creating all sorts adverse effects.
Not just saying "hey it's bad but I do it anyway".

Actually explaining why standing waves, early reflexions, acoustic resonances are the enemy.
How you should take the polar patern of your mics,their position, the place you chose to put the drum in into consideration to minimize those problems.
Why phase coherence is vital.
Why you'd choose an OH placement over another considering both the space you're recording in and the style of music.
What kind of stereo imaging you are going for... etc

Also the processing part makes no sense at all to me. If it's corrective processing, I think you should at least explain why you are doing it. If it's aesthetic, it needs a context.

I don't know. I'm not the one making a tutorial.
All I am saying is , if you are going to teach people how to do something, do it well.

Firstly, if I was to put all of that into a single video, it would be at least 30-40 minutes long. Every possible OH placement? Teaching people acoustics and reflections from scratch?

Secondly, I honestly don't KNOW enough about that kind of stuff.

Room acoustics? I have almost zero knowledge. I mix with headphones, so don't worry about room treatment in my mixing room. I'm working in a garage that is clearly occupied with other people's stuff, plus the tiny ceiling means I can't fit a 'room inside a room' to build something with good acoustics and sound insulation. So I haven't bothered with learning how acoustics work, because atm that's just not an option I have.

What I do know is that before I put the blankets up, no matter what I did with mic placement, everything sounded distant. Now it's a lot better. I got lucky. I didn't go into detail with this because I made a thread with sound clips less than a week ago.

OH placement? I haven't messed with the Recorderman because every sample I've heard has sounded weird and unbalanced. I've tried putting both mics together, pointing opposite directions, but the polar patterns weren't tight enough and it ended up being pretty much mono.

I don't know much about phase coherency. To be perfectly honest, I pretty much ignore phase all the time. Not a great practice, and something I should probably work on.

The processing was just to give people an idea of what to do to live drums, and drums in general. When I started off I compressed drums by like 15db or something crazy, and it sounded awful. When I moved to live drums I really struggled getting a good sound without introducing a lot of bleed.

The main point of this video was to show how I get my sounds. Quite a number of people here seem to like the sounds I get, from processing programmed drums, all-natural live drums, and the drum samples I posted. I'm showing HOW I get them, and proving that you can do it on a really tight budget, and in poor room conditions. If you're expecting a 'watch this video and you'll know EVERYTHING there is to know about recording drums ever', then clearly any video you watch is going to be a disappointment.

Why does everything have to appeal to people with no knowledge? This guy posts a video with some thoughts and ideas that makes it work for him, in very simple conditions. He didn't post it as a reply to someone asking specific questions, just some general tips. And he's not charging for it.

I think it was interesting to watch. No complaints.

Firstly, if I was to put all of that into a single video, it would be at least 30-40 minutes long. Every possible OH placement? Teaching people acoustics and reflections from scratch?

Secondly, I honestly don't KNOW enough about that kind of stuff.

Room acoustics? I have almost zero knowledge. I mix with headphones, so don't worry about room treatment in my mixing room. I'm working in a garage that is clearly occupied with other people's stuff, plus the tiny ceiling means I can't fit a 'room inside a room' to build something with good acoustics and sound insulation. So I haven't bothered with learning how acoustics work, because atm that's just not an option I have.

What I do know is that before I put the blankets up, no matter what I did with mic placement, everything sounded distant. Now it's a lot better. I got lucky. I didn't go into detail with this because I made a thread with sound clips less than a week ago.

OH placement? I haven't messed with the Recorderman because every sample I've heard has sounded weird and unbalanced. I've tried putting both mics together, pointing opposite directions, but the polar patterns weren't tight enough and it ended up being pretty much mono.

I don't know much about phase coherency. To be perfectly honest, I pretty much ignore phase all the time. Not a great practice, and something I should probably work on.

The processing was just to give people an idea of what to do to live drums, and drums in general. When I started off I compressed drums by like 15db or something crazy, and it sounded awful. When I moved to live drums I really struggled getting a good sound without introducing a lot of bleed.

The main point of this video was to show how I get my sounds. Quite a number of people here seem to like the sounds I get, from processing programmed drums, all-natural live drums, and the drum samples I posted. I'm showing HOW I get them, and proving that you can do it on a really tight budget, and in poor room conditions. If you're expecting a 'watch this video and you'll know EVERYTHING there is to know about recording drums ever', then clearly any video you watch is going to be a disappointment.

Ok then.
Thanks for the clarification.

drums sound fine but I realy wont call this a "how do record drums" tutorial...

It shows how you can get a great sound with "trial and error"...

But your OH-micing looks super strange? Do you have any stereo image in it?

Also I think having a lot of drums in the OH is important to get a nice drum sound!!!. Same for Room mic(s).....

What bassdrum are you using. It sounds great with the Sennheiser!!!

cheers