Type O Negative vs. Nu-metal

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Not sure if there are any fans of TON here, but they are one of my all time favorite bands, and there are very few with such a consistent output over a long career. In fact only Morbid Angel, Tool, and Ulver have such similar track record as far as I'm concerned.

Anyhow, saw Type O at the House of Blues Anaheim this past Saturday, my lord they are a good live band. I couldn't have asked for a better setlist, they played selections from all releases, including Unsuccesfully Coping With The Natural Beauty of Infidelity and the entire version of Christian Woman. Peter Steele has one helluva set of pipes, he's also funny as hell, as Peter said at the end of the night, "ya'll have a good night, and remember, if you drink and drive, try to run over someone you hate!" He also played a 3-minute bass rendition medley of the greatest riffs of the last 30 years, including Aqualung and My Scharona. :Spin:

A bunch of crappy nu-metal junk opened for them, Adema was pretty boring and I almost liked what little Powerman 5000 I heard before they played that night, but when you play TWO CHORD SONGS and still need a DAT tape live, you lose any sort of respect you may get from me. :yell:

I don't know any ToN. If there is a band I like from that genre (maybe), it's System of a Down. I just like the guy's voice, and their music is a bit radical. I really like the song Toxicity...

Also, I don't own any Static X stuff, but we saw them supporting Megadeth a few years back, and I admit, I thought they were kind of cool. Maybe it's the drunk/live environment that changes the perception - kind of like the In Flames fans coming out and admitting to liking the R2R stuff after they'd heard the live renditions...

Apologies for a wasted response on your ToN thread. :)

I need to make you a NAD Picks CD with some TON on there, I think you'd like them. It's like a goth band that makes fun of goth bands, if that makes sense. Best Black Sabbath covers ever, they completely rewrote the song Black Sabbath and made it 10000x better, as if it wasn't good enough. :worship:

Static X is decent novelty stuff, funny songs at least. Saw them live a few times, one time they sucked, the second time they were pretty cool. Their bassist plays and sings in one of the various incarnation of Brujeria (incredible Mexican grindcore).

NAD said:
Best Black Sabbath covers ever, they completely rewrote the song Black Sabbath and made it 10000x better, as if it wasn't good enough. !:worship:

Are TON on any of the NIB compilations? If so, I have both of them...

You have that cover if you have the first NIB. That's the album that sold me on a bunch of new bands way back when, Type O, Corrosion of Conformity, etc. Definitely one of the more important CDs in my collection.

OK I'll check it out tonight - I've probably heard it a million times but I just can't remember their version right now....it's a good tribute overall. The Sepultura cover of SotU is great.

Yeah, the Sep version is awesome.

I remember that TON uses the riff from Killing Yourself To Live (I think) toward the end of the cover. Reworked I suppose is a better term to use than rewrote. :)

I was bored to tears during Manmade God, Spineshank (whom I think I was sitting across from the singers grandma or mom lol) and Adema was god awful. Powerman was very cool I enjoyed them, not for everyone lol.

Since this was my first time seeing TON I have to say I was throughly impressed with them. Johnny was such a nice guy. I bumped into him while going to the HOB, and we talked for a bit. He asked if I was there alone, i told him yeah my friends bailed at the last minute and I was stuck with 2 extra tix. So he took care of me by getting me a seat up stairs. What a guy. Well next time I wanna be on the floor to catch something from peter lol.

Peter was very funny, i was dying when he started spouting "the power of christ will compell you", since The Exorcist is my favorite film. Also you are what you eat line sent the girl i was sitting next to into a frenzy lol. I will most definately have to see them again live. I hope the rumor on the TON board will come true, they will tour with Cradle of Filth. That would be a fun show, 2 of my favorite bands together.

Anyway...i'm outta here!

Hey welcome to the forum, my scheme to get TONers over here is working! :Smokedev:

So that's how you get upstairs there eh? :D My friends and I were wondering, we were standing at the balcony directly stage left.

Cradle of Filth and TON would rule, the warped sense of humor between the two would set the PC police on fire.

Biohazard's version of "After Forever" rules Nativity in Black.

NIB II sucks. Why the fuck is Busta Rhymes singing "Iron Man"?

I thought the Busta doing Iron Man was funny. Only because Ozzy was singing with him though. :D

Yeah, I almost forgot. Only ladies get the cool seats. There were a couple of dudes on that balcony, but mostly women. 3 well underage chicks kept bending over in my face it was... illegal I think. :ill:

Dang you must have been standing behind me then lol, i was sitting with 2 other blondes and a brunette. Yes, we ladies know how to get the good seats ;) those girls you are talking about yeah they seemed under age and i watched them grease one of the security guards to get their seats lol. the dudes that were sitting down there were press or handicapped, so that's another way have a cane or crutches :p

I need to get some Royal Carnage business cards to get better treatment next time... :p

I remember seeing two other brunettes and a blond (other than the 3 youngins), guess I didn't see you!