u think cob are overrated?

?

• y

Votes: 38 29.2%
  • n

Votes: 92 70.8%

• Total voters
Repetitive? wtf?

The only time I can think when Alexi re-used an idea is in LoBodomy (the melody which is the same in You're Better Off Dead) and in some of the same type of licks in his solos (which is to be expected by any guitarist).

and you can't compare In Flames or Arch Enemy with CoB... and Children of Bodom are the first band I've ever heard in my whole live - and I know much bands - which aren't absolutely repetitve. as Altitudes said: the only thing which is, is this YBOD thing. oh and maybe this short part in Northern Comfort and Next in line...

and about In Flames.... In Flames songs are 50% repetitive. most of the songs starts with a C chord, then 2/3 other chords, maybe a Lead guitar in the backgrund, then a louder drum part, then vocals start

and about In Flames.... In Flames songs are 50% repetitive. most of the songs starts with a C chord, then 2/3 other chords, maybe a Lead guitar in the backgrund, then a louder drum part, then vocals start

True, but I think there's still some good stuff in between and in the old records.

And for the repetitive thing for COB, how can anybody say that, from Hatebreeder to Blooddrunk, yeah that's very repetitive :lol:

The band is a bit underated Alexi is getting all the antetion he is a bit overated but his playing is so good he is not just another shreder but the band are also awesome and they dont get that much atention

^i pretty much like every other "melodic death" band i know better than cob... in flames (until reroute), amon amarth (even though they are repetitive as fuck, too), dt, arch enemy......................................................................................................................................what i mean is that too many of COB's songs sound the same

edit: even though arch enemies vocals with gossow suck pretty much major black afro american tool... i liked liiva much better, talking about liiva his one-album band nonexist was pretty much cooler than cob as well.. oh and alexi's vocals arent too great either
=

Well, just to point out, CoB are not a "melodic death" band anyway, they never claimed to be, nor do they sound like one. :loco: And if you like MDM bands better than CoB it pretty much means that you like one style over another and let's not start a style argument here :hotjump:

CoB gets repetitive sometimes, but, I mean, c'mon, what popular band isn't :lol: Unless it's DF with every solo sounding exactly same as the previous one, it's called style, not repetitiveness.

And look what you're comparing to. In Flames until Reroute? You can't just shave off a good third of the albums they ever released... And they get very repetitive nevertheless, I'd raise the percentage to 70% =)) DT are repetitive more so than CoB, at least until they changed their style from neoclassical to techno. "Repetitiveness" is another useless argument, I mean Vivaldi is hella repetative, he reuses sequences of scales and arpeggios all the time, so what :lol:

And, above all, it's not like all that means that they're overrated. I think you're missing the point. Like, Britney Spears or Limp Bizkit are heavily overrated. Rammstein is a little overrated (although they did work hard fortheir fame). If CoB wanted, they could be overrated too, but they suck at promotion XD

I got your point, yes, but whats with Kissing the shadows? The song is a pretty easy one and the solo...well... The only hard thing is the last solo part starting on the 24th fret. The sweeps and the fast picking parts are also not that problem. Blooddrunk got some solos which are more harder to play imo. And we all know that the earlier times never come back. But this shouldn't be a discussion about how much we like every Bodom album cause this will allways ends in the same result.

Alexi isn't worse than a few years ago. He just play other things/other songs.

They are just hard cuz you cant play em yet...when you can play em on guitar then its easy mmmkay....

-[chop]-;7367593 said:
They are just hard cuz you cant play em yet...when you can play em on guitar then its easy mmmkay....

Anything is easy once you learn how to play it :rolleyes:

"Hard" describes the amount of mastery and effort required, but alas, I can't judge cuz I don't play guitar. Recent stuff seems more "off the beaten path" imo.

Not true at all. Shit bands can get to sell thousands of records (either living on a past name like Metallica's St. Anger or just having been shit all their career), but that doesn't make them good.

Objectively, you're stupid. They are not near to being overrated, so no way they are MASSIVELY overrated. They compose great music, they are great musicians, they do their stuff great, they tour their asses off and do it good and they've really worked on it. They're not like for example Slipknot now that we have them close who have made 3 records, have based their show on a human circus and have loads of promotion and are already headlining big festivals and playing stadiums. Children Of Bodom worked a lot on their demos, they pulled out a brilliant debut and continued making kickass CDs, and step by step they made their career and their reputation. Nothing was given for them for free, I don't see how this is being overrated.

Yeah, because you LIKE them.

Repetitive? wtf?

The only time I can think when Alexi re-used an idea is in LoBodomy (the melody which is the same in You're Better Off Dead) and in some of the same type of licks in his solos (which is to be expected by any guitarist).

I've discussed that millions of time, COB uses the same 5-6 ideas ALL OVER AGAIN in their songs.

inb4: lol pics or it didn't happen.

Yeah, because you LIKE them.

No. I like Pantera but I think they were and are still really overrated. I like Bullet For My Valentine but I think they are highly overrated. COB are not overrated.

I've discussed that millions of time, COB uses the same 5-6 ideas ALL OVER AGAIN in their songs.

inb4: lol pics or it didn't happen.

Exactly. Tell me anything they've repeated besides that LoBodomy/You're Better Off Dead melody. Of course Alexi repeats sweeps and scales on the solos, because he has his own style and likes some stuff more than other, but not for the music itself. In fact, the reason why people criticise their albums is because of that, because they're not repetitive. They never do an album similar to the previous one. SW, HB and FTR had similar stuff, but still had differences, but each album is different. Or are you telling me they repeated stuff from FTR on AYDY or stuff from HB on Blooddrunk?

I'm convinced that somehow we all end up being repetitive, sooner or later... yet in our world we're "forced" to always use the same terms to word our thoughts, so I say that all can be repetitive in life, even the gestures we make every day... and if the musical notes are those certain defined musical notes, then there must be a reason why we can use them only to compose songs... and if that makes some music sound repetitive, then so be it.
In the end, I think some people just tend to find boring what they don't appreciate that much.
And as far as I'm concerned, I don't find CoB's music repetitive. Now I'll shut up. :)

I always like to listen to a new album of them. I don't really think too much. I like the way they compose their stuff. I've never been disappointed... But it's not the case with all my other favourite bands/artists.

A lot of other bands get automatically more attention cuz they're american or for other reasons... I just think that for those who don't like them, don't cuz of their image. Their image is a lot based on hate and stuff like that. Alexi never "sings", the lyrics aren't about politics, religion, spirituality... Some of their songs are about feelings (like most of everyone's songs) but they're never put forward : I mean neither with the singing, nor with the music (it's never mellow, well only few are close). I don't know if you get my point, but I just think that COB is mainly a band of great musicians/composer. People tend to take their "hate" image too seriously and they don't listen to what they do.

-[chop]-;7367593 said:
They'Re harder to play cause it costs my a lot more of work and time to learn them comparing to Hatebreeder songs. Same with AYDY. I needed more time to learn songs like Trashed, WNGF or IYWP comparing with songs from HCDR.
And THAT'S a point for me why I think that they are NOT overrated. Maybe ppl think they are overrated now cause they don't like the last two albums. Sure, Bodoms style changed with AYDY but the songs seems more complicated then the older songs.

And as long their songs are not REPETITIVE and the complexity of each song will hold on during the next songs, they will not become an overrated band.

They'Re harder to play cause it costs my a lot more of work and time to learn them comparing to Hatebreeder songs. Same with AYDY. I needed more time to learn songs like Trashed, WNGF or IYWP comparing with songs from HCDR.
And THAT'S a point for me why I think that they are NOT overrated. Maybe ppl think they are overrated now cause they don't like the last two albums. Sure, Bodoms style changed with AYDY but the songs seems more complicated then the older songs.

And as long their songs are not REPETITIVE and the complexity of each song will hold on during the next songs, they will not become an overrated band.

QFT