Ulver

MasterOLightning

Optimator
Jun 3, 2003
Chicago
www.myspace.com
I'm headed to the local metal shop tomorrow which is having a nice little sale where most stuff is marked down to $11. I was considering getting some more Ulver stuff, but they're such a mixed bag. I know they'll have Lyckantropen Themes, and Themes from William Blake's... Since MA is down, can someone try to explain what these are like? I wasn't crazy about Blood Inside, or A Quick Fix of Melancholy, but I really enjoyed the Teachings in Silence EPs. I'm also familiar with Bergtatt and NM, and don't expect any of their other releases to be anything like that.

In addition, I'll take into consideration any other recommendations, especially BM or maybe avant-garde stuff. A basic description is always helpful if you're up for it. This store is pretty good about carrying rare, European stuff. I'm definitely getting Kenose, and probably one or two others.

Lyckantropen Themes is somewhat similar to the Teachings in Silence material in that it's depressing instrumental ambient music. It's a really good album. Only downside in my opinion is the ending which I find a little grating.

Themes From William Blake's blah blah blah is... well... it's their first electronic experiment and it kind of shows in some ways. The majority of the tracks do have vocals on them (Garm and some female singer) and the songs themselves are largely a combination of electronics mixed with some rock elements (unlike their later albums this one still features some actual guitar work prominently). The closest other Ulver albums you can compare it to are Perdition City and Blood Inside since both of those feature vocals prominently and are more song-based rather than ambient based. But other than that it's a pretty unique sounding album in their discography (like almost all their albums are really). The main problem is that the album is *long* (2 discs) so it takes quite a while to really digest the whole thing, especially combined with the erratic nature of the whole album. Some material could have probably easily have been left out to make it a more concise listen (I'm not a fan of double albums in general, don't have the patience for it really). But overall it's still a good album in my opinion. However if they have Perdition City I would go with that instead of Themes.

Yeah I'd go with Perdition City over Themes

look for some Fluerety and Ved Buens Ende while you're there just for kicks and giggles

Birkenau said:
Just get Bergtatt, Perdition City or Nattens Madrigal if they have any of them, otherwise don't bother.

Yep, there the ones that you want :headbang: