Unblessing The Purity Review

As annoyed as I am by the whole notion of pre-ordering for no reason (get it early? no...shirt w/order? no...signed? no) and ended up buying it on iTunes (hmm, so about $13 spent total on this EP)...I am so digging where they are going.

Per really has something going on, Axe's drumming is fantastic, and Mike sounds so fucking brutal.

Now I'm even more excited to hear where they go from here...

(this post can be called "attack of the ellipsis")

I itunes'd it before I went to work and listened to it a bunch of times during. My thoughts? It fucking pwns. Absolutely crushing. "Blasting the Virginborn" has been stuck in my head all day. It's different, but a natural progression from where Bloodbath have been before. Axe is an absolute beast behind the kit. The riffs are awesome, and Per's influence on leads and solos has shined through. And Mikael... holy shit. He is monstrous. That single-handedly influenced me to start doing my deep growls again.

I'm going to say something I didn't expect to say, but Mikael matched Peter growl-wise for me this album. The production really brought out a more thick sounding growl than RTC had and that was my main problem with RTC's vocals.

lol RTC's vocals sound almost identical.

Anyway, ive never really been a big fan of bloodbath. But this new EP is fucking crushing and is what deathmetal should be about. Theres some really interesting guitarwork and this will keep me comin back to it for a while.

Finished listening to Blastbeating the Purity now. I was expecting more than what I heard unfortunately. It's a good EP, but it's not awesome. Mikael's vocals are the coolest thing about the EP, very deep and clear. The production is not as good as NMF, not sure why you guys used the same studio but not Jens Bogren, that guy rules! All instruments are performed with perfection, though not everyone will like the sounds coming from them, haha.

The thing I don't like is that it's all mostly one gigantic blastbeat, then a few melodic things here and there. And I ask myself, why are there melodic parts when Bloodbath was supposed to end up being more brutal now with the new guitarist, those parts take away from the brutality. Something like "death metal was to be of a less brutal kind"

Sodomizer's track, Sick Salvation. What is with that sound clip in the middle of the song, started laughing when I heard that. Been listening to a lot of new Megadeth or something? That's probably the one really dumb part on the entire EP that shouldn't have been there, totally out of place in a Bloodbath song.

Aside from these negative things I have said, it's still cool and I do like it.

Mouth of Blast Beats > Blasts Aside > Blastbeating the Virginborn > Sick Blastbeats

I partially agree with Tumn. I probably feel worse about the EP to be honest, I'm disappointed overall with this release. Yeah, the productions good and all, Mike's vox are absolute quality (to be expected) but music wise it just lacks something. I don't think whilst listening to it I felt the need to headbang at any point. There'd be a section here or there that got close but I didn't. Usually if something sounds great I'll be like "Fuck yeah, that's what I like to hear..." but I never felt like that for these 4 songs. As Tumn says, too many blastbeats. You just can't get in to the groove when it's constant blasting. It definitely sounds more "brutal" on the blasting sections (obviously) but when it gets to the melodious parts it just falls flat on its face. It's alright but compared to both their full lengths and first ep it's average.

Never heard samples from horror movies in death metal before? Right, you are from the nu-skool. Almost forgot...

Of course I've heard them, but I am surprised you guys did this. It doesn't fit Bloodbath especially when you guys have said you're not just a tribute to old school bands anymore with the release of NMF. It has not fit anything you guys have done and could have been left out on the EP.

I love when you reply to me Jonas since you're such a happy smiling man :)

I still support you guys anyways, but when band members start a jerk fest with a loyal fan, it's kind of unprofessional when given an honest open opinion of something you've done.

The thing is, it's not just Tumn who thinks this release is under par of what to expect from Bloodbath. The wait wasn't worth it imo. 4 tracks in 4 years... 1 below average (Bloodbath standard wise) song per year is definitely not worth it. Then again, it's just an EP. It's better than most stuff these days, though.