Underground classics

audiophileguy

Apr 5, 2004
What are some great underground albums that never got their due?
no black or death, please. I'm not a huge fan of those genres and I'm not interested in finding KVLT crap.

Most Russian bands, like early Master and Aria. Maybe I'll be more ambitious later...

Neither of them get the respect they deserve, so there is no wrong Master.

Dominus - The First 9. I ALWAYS tell people how much I love this album, and yet no one has ever heard it. Great stuff, but very, very weird. Like Megadeth (So Far...period) meets Entombed (Clandestine era).

Mourn - Mourn - Like a slower, true-er female fronted The Obsessed, but with Cow bells.

Blackstar - Barbed Wire Soul - 3/4 of Carcass, a brass section, a love of Thin Lizzy and old NWOBHM records. Went down like a lead balloon thanks to buffoon critics (Terrorizer, I'm looking at you, cunts).

Dies Irae - Vader withot Piotr. More thrashy on "the sin war" onwards than death metal. Good stuff, no one buys it though.

Floodgate - Penalty - Southern metal in the vein of DOWN, featuring Kyle Thomas (Exhorder). Brilliant doom/rock with cow bells.

Black Forest - amazing Doom metal with a very somber atmosphere, and amazing violin work.

Abstrakt Algebra - for a band with people associated with Candlemass, I'm surprised how little attention they get. They released on damned good power metal release, great riffs and good agressive vocals.

Dolorian - Very slow, quiet, but amazing doom. The ambience of this band is just perfect.

Actually, the two Candlemass albums from the wilderness years

(Dactylis Glomerata and From the 13th Sun) were both great, and massively maligned.

No, they weren't classic Candlemass albums, but they were good nether the less.

Arcane Sun released one self-titled album of excellent, slightly epic doom that just drips with heartfelt emotion and was only ever noticed by about five people. Check them out.

Necro Joe said:
Arcane Sun released one self-titled album of excellent, slightly epic doom that just drips with heartfelt emotion and was only ever noticed by about five people. Check them out.

Will do. Way to go, Joe:headbang:

if you want some great underground thrash metal id recommend you hallows eve. you should get their first 3 records wich are tales of terror, death and insanity, and monument. tales of terror is their best so start with that.

Necro Joe said:

Yep, Arcane Sun fucking rules. They had a 2nd unreleased album that sounded pretty good too, someone on UM sent it to me at one point!

Dodens Grav said:
Most Russian bands, like early Master and Aria. Maybe I'll be more ambitious later...

Aria's music is not that bad, but they have shitty shallow lyrics and some extra pathos - that gives the feeling of insincerity of their stuff. They still are very popular and have plenty of fans though.

~Neurotica said:
Aria's music is not that bad, but they have shitty shallow lyrics and some extra pathos - that gives the feeling of insincerity of their stuff. They still are very popular and have plenty of fans though.

I can't read the lyrics anyway so I don't give a shit. Great music that no one knows about. :kickass:

Also Hallows Eve isn't very "underground." Underground bands don't get their entire discography reissued in a box set by one of the largest Metal record companies ever.

Necro Joe said:

:kickass: I was one of those five. A near flawless album. An excellent recommendation.

I have the unreleased second album. Not as good as the debut, but worthy nonetheless.

I never knew the second album was ever made available. They really deserve to get it released. Bah.

Demilich, help a brother out eh? The s/t is one of the greatest albums ever.

Aria are good but not something i would consider to be "classic" even for the underground standards. Since "underground" is kinda subjective, i recommend these, that i think they can be considered really underground in every way, one for every genre i like a lot:

Heavy Metal:
Lords Of The Crimson Alliance - s/t
Heavy/epic metal with a voice almost identical to King Diamond. Pounding rhythms, killer riffing and dark atmosphere. "The Sorcerer" is the absolute soundtrack for a funeral.

Power Metal:
Apollo Ra - Ra Pariah
Outstanding u.s. power metal in the vein of early Crimson Glory and early Queensryche. It's a demo actually but with many songs and with a superbe sound. It has been re-released on vinyl and official cd r - from the band that is

Progressive Metal:
Naked Sun - s/t
Weird, extremely unique prog rock/metal (more metal than rock) with no clear influences, except maybe Frank Zappa. Crazy and innovative in every aspect.

Doom Metal:
Circle Of Elements - Reflections Of Kontrast
Ep from this german band, the music reminds of Memento Mori or Abstract Algebra, while the vocals are absolutely in the vein of Robert Lowe. Power/prog/doom, but the emotions, sound and atmosphere are mainly doom.

All these can be found on ebay.

Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
Hades - The Dawn of the Dying Sun
Helheim - Av Norron Aett
Lord Wind - Forgotten Songs
Mayhemic Truth - In Memoriam
Samael - Ceremony of Opposites