Underrated/Unknown Death Metal Songs

Bruticus

Jul 25, 2014
Cheese
Post songs nobody seems to know you always felt were worthy of the top better known ones. One of those songs that come late on an album, in at Track 8 or something.

I'm going to kickstart the thread with a couple of Cannibal Corpse ones I feel are as good as anything they've ever done:

Oh yeah. "Murder Worship" is killer. Just about my favourite track on the Kill album.

As for another underrated songs (and by extension underrated album in general), Morbid Angel's "Heaving Earth" always stuck me as a powerful number.

Oh yeah. "Murder Worship" is killer. Just about my favourite track on the Kill album.

As for another underrated songs (and by extension underrated album in general), Morbid Angel's "Heaving Earth" always stuck me as a powerful number.

One of only a few decent songs on that album. Formulas is shitty l reckon. MA have not released a good album since Covenant. Drenched in reverb and phase since. It's a decent(ish) tune with the blast riff and Tucker's vokill. But..meh

Reactions: jimmy101
Probably not underrated - but l only have them on a Deathgasm records comp and it's killer. i'm sure they're plenty known in certain quarters

Another

Then

And a hated album back then

Reactions: CiG
I like Pessimist. I have that album and the one with the album art that’s just a picture of a graveyard. Killer stuff.

One of only a few decent songs on that album. Formulas is shitty l reckon. MA have not released a good album since Covenant. Drenched in reverb and phase since. It's a decent(ish) tune with the blast riff and Tucker's vokill. But..meh

Personally I really like the direction the went with Formulas. Seemed to me that the band were rebooting their engines and heading straight back into pure DM territory. Formulas also came off sounding like a more "organic" album overall (compared to Domination). Happened to be recorded without the use of any click tracks and contains minimal overdubs.

Below is an interview with the man himself, who goes a long way in explaining the concepts that underpinned Formulas.

Reactions: CiG