UNDERWORLD discussion thread

Also, don't remember who said it, but I definitely would dislike it if the band decided to start doing multiple sololess songs per album. I'd rather hear a mediocre Romeo solo than nothing.

To be honest, I ended up skipping some solo parts just simply coz they werent interesting enough for me. I dont have anything against solos, but I think in the past the solos felt more like part of the song and not forced. Also I wished more instrumental passages in the style of awakenings for example.

Isaac, Did Pinella ever really do his business as you define it? Based on your description, I'm not sure he ever had more than a few moments of it (Accolade comes to mind). I mean, I can't say that any SX song has Ascension-comparable (extended) parts.

Hmmm, I see your point. It´s actually a bad comparison, my mistake, because I brought to discussion an album made entirely with keyboard patches, composed by a keyboardist. Superb album, by the way.

Not even Haken or another bands with two keyboards are that "saturated" of keys lines all the time. I´m actually now more satisfied with the role of Pinella after more spins to Underworld, Legend and Swansong, mainly. I just miss more developed ideas like the one you mentioned, like Accolade, and are plenty more examples, like Communion and the Oracle (Almost all V is full of more interesting orchestrations and key lines, and I think it´s part of its magic), Through the Looking Glass, Awakenings, Orion the Hunter and obviously The Odyssey and TDWoT are examples of a more active and less submissive keyboard role.

But I cannot avoid seeing myself looking to much to the past of SX, which every new day is farther away. So I won´t continue on the topic, I recognize that at certain moments of Underworld you don´t miss Pinnella anymore, because it´s there. And that´s better than nothing.

To be honest, I ended up skipping some solo parts just simply coz they werent interesting enough for me. I dont have anything against solos, but I think in the past the solos felt more like part of the song and not forced. Also I wished more instrumental passages in the style of awakenings for example.

Agree.

I think that the rythm section of the solo also plays an important role on how good is it, at least at some degree. i think that´s what makes the solo of Swansong the best for many of us, there is something else happening besides those furiosly fast scales, licks and arpeggios.

Also the solos were (better) composed before. I found myself hearing today Smoke and Mirrors and I was able to sing almost all of the guitar solo! That´s imposible nowadays :Spin:

Initial impressions after 3 listens (though I was distracted and not listening carefully at some points due to stuff happening)

Overall, its way more diverse than PL and IC. Some really awsome moments, and some that I was expecting to happen more on the first listen and then it went somewhere i wasn't expecting or sometimes wasn't hoping for. At other points on my first listen, I was thinking like "this is cool but it would be better if this happened..." and sometimes it did! Like the choras in Swang Song. I was like "well this is cool but Russ could put a little more passion into this and maybe go an octave higher" and sure enough at the end....

I still need way more time to digest. Most likely not a front runner for their best but certainly not their worst release, and there is a lot of nice stuff here for sure, even initially. I still remember songs I heard on the first listen of older albums that I did not like at all and now some of those songs are hype as hell for me.

Top tier:
Underworld
Legend
Swan Song
Run With the Devil (I liked it right away, why all the hate?)

Still pretty great stuff tier:
Without You
Overture
Nevermore
Kiss of Fire

The rest tier:
The rest
I don't outright hate any songs but some of these will probably need time to grow.

Before even coming here again for the first time in a while, I kinda expected most people on this board to be really hard on this album. It seems it is actually being received better than I expected. Looking forward to more time with this one and seeing them live again in a few months either way.

I am getting more and more impressed by Kiss of Fire. The more I hear it the more I am taking note of Russell doing the high screech's that remind me of something like Iron Maiden or Priest. I also really like the way they used the choir/orchestral patches to give it a more dark/gothic kind of vibe. At some moments I hear a bit of a black metal atmosphere to it. Even though its probably their most extreme/heavy song to date I feel there is still more to it dynamically than just the same ole' chugga chugga.

So far its the only track I have felt the need to just randomly listen to on its own instead of hearing it only on a full album playthrough.

Wow. It is insane the range of what people like/dislike on this album.

Too early to really tell, but without a doubt, I like it better than Iconoclast. And of their 3 last releases, this one has left the best first impression on me.

Quick thoughts -

- Underworld is an awesome song. I can't believe how much I like it considering how belchy the verse and pre-chorus are. But that chorus really resolves everything and in the end I think the dynamics of heavy/soaring work very well here. Iconoclast did not have one chorus with this sorta vibe (a lot of the songs didn't even have choruses, just the title of the song sang over a main riff.)

- Kiss of Fire is the sleeper hit for me. I shouldn't like this song and was prepared to hate it. Yet I keep putting it on? Despite the fact that, unless Im hearing things...he just said...bring down the hammer with serious anger? Whatever. Maybe it's sirius anger and its about stars or overpriced radio. And even though that chorus doesn't seem super catchy, it's somehow stuck in my head.

- I must be the only one who really likes Charon. Love every section and the vibe. I hate that it starts out with a BAM RIFF but whatever.

- Run with the devil is my least favorite Symphony X song ever written. Worse than lords of chaos. Decent riff and verse. But the most vanilla chorus I have ever heard from them. The only song on this album that I blatantly dislike.

- Legend has the catchiest chorus I have heard from this band in a long time. Took me off guard actually.

So many more thoughts but I'm still working my way through. More than anything, I hope Symphony X hires a producer for their next record and considers trying out someone else's mix. And also...feel free to run the lyrics by a few friends/spouses/thomas miller before going to tape fellas.

I think the only track after my first listen that I would not listen to again immediately is Run With The Devil. I heard nothing in the song worthy of praise compared to the rest of the album.

Overture (it counts), Charon, Underworld, Swansong, and Legend are my standout tracks.

Seriously though...Legend's chorus is so unexpected. What an amazing chord progression, and with the keys blasting behind Russ's very grand sound vocals - an incredible way to end this album. Man, what a track!

I still enjoy Nevermore and Without You, but I've listened to the shit out of them over the last few months so while I still do like the tracks, I can't listen to them until I've given the other tracks a fair amount of listens. :D

Wow. It is insane the range of what people like/dislike on this album.

Too early to really tell, but without a doubt, I like it better than Iconoclast. And of their 3 last releases, this one has left the best first impression on me.

Quick thoughts -

- Underworld is an awesome song. I can't believe how much I like it considering how belchy the verse and pre-chorus are. But that chorus really resolves everything and in the end I think the dynamics of heavy/soaring work very well here. Iconoclast did not have one chorus with this sorta vibe (a lot of the songs didn't even have choruses, just the title of the song sang over a main riff.)

- Kiss of Fire is the sleeper hit for me. I shouldn't like this song and was prepared to hate it. Yet I keep putting it on? Despite the fact that, unless Im hearing things...he just said...bring down the hammer with serious anger? Whatever. Maybe it's sirius anger and its about stars or overpriced radio. And even though that chorus doesn't seem super catchy, it's somehow stuck in my head.

- I must be the only one who really likes Charon. Love every section and the vibe. I hate that it starts out with a BAM RIFF but whatever.

- Run with the devil is my least favorite Symphony X song ever written. Worse than lords of chaos. Decent riff and verse. But the most vanilla chorus I have ever heard from them. The only song on this album that I blatantly dislike.

- Legend has the catchiest chorus I have heard from this band in a long time. Took me off guard actually.

So many more thoughts but I'm still working my way through. More than anything, I hope Symphony X hires a producer for their next record and considers trying out someone else's mix. And also...feel free to run the lyrics by a few friends/spouses/thomas miller before going to tape fellas.

Dude when I heard this line I almost spit my drink on my computer screen. Pretty bad - hahaha.

Still working my way through my first playthrough while at work. So far really enjoying it. Looking forward to really giving it a proper listen tonight at home

Okay, as many have also done this, I would like to add my intial reaction to Underworld (after two spins, so this will likely change a bit in the future):
The best:
Without You - this transports a lot of feeling and is just a cool and fun song!

The okay ones:
Overture + Nevermore (the groove of Nevermore is very cool and might still grow even more on me, but I constantly have the feeling that this song is so rushed and could need some short licks here and there (a bit like Iconoclast does) to make stuff a bit more interesting / less linear.
Kiss of Fire - the new approach is interesting and one of the harmonies sounds like it could be from Opeth (back when they were doing stuff like that ;) ), I like it and it will probably grow more
Charon - I still have to wrap my head around the rhythm before the chorus, since until now it doesn't make a lot of sense, but since I like the rest... :)
To Hell and Back - It starts with a very promising and epic theme that is quickly dropped only to be shoehorned in at the end again. I would probably like this more, if the theme was used more during the song, the rest inbetween is okay, though a bit unmemorable and feels a bit puzzled together...

The meh:
Underworld - could be a lot more interesting if not for the screaming and "evil" vocals, which I don't like at all (so far I generally liked Symphony for "superheavy" but still melodic - but not this...)
In my darkest hour - such a strong refrain with so little interesting happening inbetween, could have been a lot better, if it was made a bit more interesting "in the interest of the song"
Swansong - It sounds too much like Paradise Lost (the song) with a refrain that instantly reminds me of Manowar ballads (that I like, but when I want that I hear Manowar ;) ) disappointed
Legend - the melody (especially the vocal melody) just doesn't incite any feelings in me...sounds uninspired and samey ("typical" Symphony X lines)

The worst:
run with the devil - if not for the instrumental parts, this would be almost a melodic rock song (not that I wouldn't like that in general) and not a very good one, too...bland and powerless

All in all I am not yet convinced of the Album, but that may (hopefully) still change.

The albums in general I would put in this order:
V > Iconoclast (yes I really like it that much!)> Divine wings > Twilight in Olympus > Underworld = Paradise Lost = Damnation Game = Odyssey (I like only the ballads and the song Odyssey here)

There is a huge part of me that hates myself for loving the song Underworld so much. I HATE screaming in metal, and I HATE tremolo picking. I also hate "demonic" voice doubling. But all of those things work when Russell does it tastefully. I also hate blast beats, but sure enough, Kiss of Fire pulls it off with finesse.

Whoever said they were the only person who loves Charon is wrong, by the way. I love that song so much!

A couple things I've noticed upon listening 15+ times. Yes, there is less going on per song, sometimes, than in the past. Particularly when you compare to albums like V. But, for some reason, I'm ok with it. I think it's because what is going on is interesting. V as an album gets very boring and meandering to me at times, though it is still an excellent album and a classic for sure. A huge complaint I have about old SX albums is "useless" measures. So often in the past SX would write a part that is either pointless, or was decent but then gets repeated too much back to back. This tends to happen even in the legendary albums and songs (V the album, Divine Wings the song, Awakenings are examples I think of immediately). Yes, perhaps SX could have added a few more sections in some of the Underworld songs, but I seem to think the songs are fine how they are at the moment. The fact that I can't tell if adding more parts would make them better is a sign, to me, that things should be as they are on the album, in all likelihood.

Damn right, Charon is awesome. Total V vibe from that one! Really enjoying Kiss of Fire, Legend and To Hell and Back as well.

I've listened through 7 times so far, and my preliminary opinion is that Underworld is their second best album (after V).

Damn right, Charon is awesome. Total V vibe from that one! Really enjoying Kiss of Fire, Legend and To Hell and Back as well.

I've listened through 7 times so far, and my preliminary opinion is that Underworld is their second best album (after V).

Dude. Charon is one of the best, if not the best on the album. That Egypt vibe is all over it. Comparing the two is impossible but shit it kicks ass. Legends also...great track. I'm a fan of this album thus far. 2 listens in and I'm ranking it around Odyssey / Paradise Lost quality, maybe better. Will take more listens to decide.

Listening to V and Odyssey a couple times just solidify my opinion that I like them less. Wanna make sure I'm not fanboying here.. :D

After listening to the album several more times here are my thoughts on each song

Overture
This is the perfect type of intro for this album. Not a lot of orchestration, mainly choirs and the band. Works well because there's not a lot of orchestration on the album in general, so it's not out of place at all.

Nevermore
I really like this song, it's a great energetic way to follow up Overture (even though I think Underworld would do an excellent job in this spot). The chorus is one of the best on the album, in my opinion. Insane guitar-work and in 7/4! A hint of the neo-classical in the end of the solo.

Underworld
I really like this song, I only wish it were longer. Great keyboard work, another killer chorus. It really deserves some sort of orchestrated bridge after the "I long to see the sun" part. It heads into a bit of choir work, but man, if that continued into a longer instrumental section like we get on Revelation, and then follow it up with the excellent solo section, we'd have a killer 8 minute title track. Then it could easily follow Overture, it's an easy key change to make in order to transition into the epic intro of this track (You'd probably have to swap Without You and Kiss of Fire though).

Without You
I like all the parts of this song, except I'm not keen on the chorus. It's very bland, very radio hard rock. Sure, it can get stuck in your head, but there's nothing interesting going on in it. No interesting chord choices/changes, no intriguing melody, just a straight 6/8 rhythm and generic chord progression. I love the verse, pre-chorus, solo, and bridge a lot though. It's at the perfect spot in the album in order to take a breather, would be too early as the 2nd song, too late as the 4th.

Kiss of Fire
In my opinion this is the best heavy track the band has done to date. I didn't care for Domination or Heretic from the previous two albums, but this one nails it. Compact and to the point, no Metallica posturing, a concise interesting chorus. The blast-beats are perfectly placed, the outro is great with the gothic horns.

Charon
A great track that reminds of older albums, like something from The Odyssey, Twilight, or Divine Wings. I love the groove, love the vocals, love the keyboard work. Another great chorus. My only complaint is there really needs to be a bridge between the solo and final chorus. It should totally break-down into an acoustic and middle eastern keyboard instrumental groove bit, like something from Egypt. I was 100% expecting this on the first listen and it would have been just perfect, make it another 7 minute track, really stretch those prog legs. Still a great track. The fact that the two tracks I would add more to are still some of my favorites from the album says something.

To Hell and Back
This one is really interesting; I still don't have a fully formed opinion on it yet. Best intro on the album, and then Russ comes in with "I have led the lamb to the slaughter" and I had to do a double take to see if Jorn Lande was providing some guest vocals. Then we get to the chorus, the first of Russ's blues melody choruses on the album. Something that would fit in right on Atomic Soul. Nice melodic solo and vocals, and then we switch into the second act of the song, something akin to Reign in Madness from Iconoclast. This song definitely takes me on a journey, it just wasn't the journey I was expecting, so I haven't fully digested it yet.

In My Darkest Hour
This brings me to my least favorite track on the album. After the journey that was To Hell and Back, I'm expecting (needing) something fast and energetic, Nevermore would actually be perfect to follow To Hell and Back. Instead I get the (mostly) mid-tempo In My Darkest Hour. The intro, verse, pre-chorus, bridge and solo sound straight off of Paradise Lost (the solo is actually really great). Then we have another rather bland hard-rock chorus, that they decided to repeat 4 times, taking up 2 minutes of the 4:22 running time! That's almost half the song! Just not enough good ideas here. Maybe would feel more in place between two energetic tracks like Nevermore and the next track...

Run with the Devil
Screw the haters, this song owns. I love the instrumental work here, I love the energy, straight Atomic Soul vocals from Russ (this is not Adrenaline Mob Russ). The positive, up-beat vibe is perfect to follow the darker gothic vibe that's been on the previous tracks. We're finally making our way back out of the Underworld and things are looking up. Some really great bridge vocals leading into one of my favorite solos on the album. There's a fluttery tapping bit that's so over-the-top Romeo it's almost tongue-in-cheek. Just a fun track, without sacrificing any of the musicianship.

Swansong
The second of the only two tracks that remind me of early SymX, this song would feel right at home on Damnation Game. Reminds me of Whispers, A Winter's Dream, or Lady in the Snow from Twilight. Great keyboard work, maybe could have used just a solo piano intro before the electric guitars kick in. Really interesting chorus, that unexpected chord choice on "carry on" and "can it breath" caught me off guard. It's a great introspective track reminiscing on the hardships that have come previous on the album. Another great solo section.

Legend
This this this. More of this please. This is easily my favorite track on the album and has rocketed into my list of favorite Symphony X songs ever along side Rediscovery, Communion, Fallen, Revelation, Awakenings and Frontiers. It starts off with Symphony X doing Rush. And it's incredible. A great verse leads into the best chorus on the album. I love the whole up-beat positive vibe of this song, again like Run with the Devil, but without the blues rock feeling, this is just pure prog metal. We get the best bridge on the album leading into a solo section that leads with Pinella as a surprise. The next chorus comes in and you think the song is over, it drops out to an acoustic reprise of the bridge, but no! The band slams back in for an exceptional outro that literally leaves you wanting more (Russ won't give us that final Dies!). The general vibe of the song reminds me of Frontiers, which is something I never thought we'd get again from these guys. If they can explore this style more in the future I would be fully on board.

Overall Impression
I can easily say that I like this album more than the past two albums (I didn't hate either of those, Paradise Lost just lacked stand out tracks for me other than Oculus and Revelation; and Iconoclast should have dropped about 4 songs). It is also easy to say this is not better than V or the Odyssey. It is easily better than Damnation Game and the self-titled. Where it falls in relation to Divine Wings and Twilight is tough to say right now.

I think that I am one of the few people that prefers the modern Jens Bogren production to the older production. I don't dislike the older production in any way, this just seems fuller to me (The Odyssey is an odd one out that has an incredible non-typical production). There's a proper way to do loud production, and I think Jens really nailed it on Iconoclast. Everything is crisp and there is no audio clipping. On Paradise Lost the guitars were a bit too loud, this album is a bit louder than Iconoclast, but it's mixed just as well. I've heard a lot of brickwalled masters that make me angry, and these are not brickwalled at all. Jens does a great job, in my opinion.

The thing that bugs me the most is that Underworld is really close to being right up there with V and Odyssey, if it just let a few tracks breath a little more (Underworld, Charon), maybe move Nevermore to come after To Hell and Back in order to help out In My Darkest Hour. The choruses of Without You and In My Darkest Hour don't help much, but the rest of the choruses make up for those in general. Plus, if you add ~2 minutes to Underworld, ~1 minute to Charon, the running time could come out to exactly 66:66, which would be badass.

Great post. Seems like your opinion has improved!

I am starting to agree with Underworld needing a little lengthening. But the best part about it is, the song is so good to me that I just don't care!

I never noticed Charon needing a bridge, but now that I hear someone say that, it makes sense. I doubt it will affect my opinion of the track. I think the strings should be slightly louder in the chorus, though. Slightly.

I will stand by In My Darkest Hour against any haters. I love, love, love that song! I am also beginning to really enjoy Run With the Devil, EXCEPT the part in the solo that sounds exactly like the beginning of Nevermore's solo. I just don't understand why he would repeat that idea.

For me, this album is exactly one notch above the Odyssey, simply because I felt there was alot of fluff per song on many of the Odyssey tracks. Not entire sections, just small numbers of measures at a time. I also prefer Russel's, Rullo's, and Lepond's work on Underworld, as well as Romeo's rhythm. The solos and keys on Odyssey are better overall, yes, but it is not quite enough to save it from the raw intensity and journey of Underworld.

The V comparison is trickier. I like Odyssey about 1/2-1 notch above V most days, and about 1 notch below it on other (fewer) days, but I think my final opinion is that V is equal to or 1/2 notch below Underworld, and I think it's the latter (for me). Here is why:

V does the following better than Underworld: It is thematically more convincing and consistent. It has much stronger keys and orchestration. And it is more complex.

Here are things I think Underworld does better than V: Non-important things: Production, drumming, bass work. Important things: I really dislike almost all solos on V except Fool's Paradise, as well as Romeo's lead tone. I also think the rhythm guitar is repetitive and boring sometimes. I dislike Rediscovery pt 2 and always have. It almost becomes convincing so many times but then turns corners and hangs me out to dry. Overture is better than Prelude. Evolution and Fallen overall are as good as Nevermore and Underworld, or better in some areas (such as Evolution vocals vs Nevermore's), but I can't help but notice that each individual section isn't as interesting, and neither song has any real wow moments except Fallen's "across the LAAAAAAAAANNNNND." and the last chorus of Evolution. I also HATE the Fallen interlude with the 16th note unison. Whereas I love the Nevermore solo and final passage, as well as the intro, and adore Underworld's chorus and solo section (and the way Russell says Perfector, lol).

Bird-Serpent war has such a good chorus that not playing it more than once absolutely ruined the song for me. I almost can't listen to it because of this one fact, even after all these years. Almost.

Communion and the Oracle is AWESOME, of course, but I like Swan Song roughly as much, just in a different way. Egypt is wicked cool, but suffers from, in my opinion, boring and unneeded measures. It also lacks overall punch, although I think this is simply because most of the rhythm guitar is boring and the production quality is a little worse. Comparing this, to say, Charon, I have to say I like Charon better. It's just so convincing, despite lacking the instrumentation of Egypt. It puts me right in that boat.

Death of Balance is awesome, and one major positive for V that Underworld simply can't match.

Absence of Light is just a mediocre song to me, and always has been. I have no idea why. This is completely personal opinion. I hate the chorus "chanty choir" style vocals, which are present in several spots on the album, but I like Russel's lead lines. It makes me ambivalent toward the song overall. The song also has uninteresting rhythm guitar, IMO.

Fool's Paradise is such a cool song, and again, nothing on Underworld can really match up, but this isn't because there aren't songs which are as good on the album, it's because the style of the song (almost pure dark neoclassicism) just isn't on Underworld. Nonetheless, this is a positive for V over Underworld.

And then there is Rediscovery pt 2, which all of you love, and I just really could do without ever hearing again.

So, IMO, V has 3 or so distinct overall positives over Underworld, and 2 songs that I really love whose sounds aren't found on Underworld, but I can think of 3+ positives Underworld has over V that are more important to me, and I like each individual song (and more importantly, each section of most song) more than on V. If, in the future, V ever took the number 1 spot on my SX album list again, it'd be because of Run with the Devil, although I really am starting to jive with that track quite nicely.

Maybe someone can help me to like V over Underworld, because I'm feeling left out :D

I listened to this on my commute home tonight. I made it to Hell and Back before I switched to TDWOT. I have to say, so far I like it better than IC, although that was a pretty low bar. It's funny that the song I like the most, Without You, sounds nothing like 'classic' SX. Although, so far none of the songs do. They're all pretty much the same, with nothing distinguishing about them. Keys are mostly non-existent and forget about symphonic greatness. Russ does actually sing more on this album, instead of the 'gruff vocals' that killed the last 2 albums for me, but still - there are no nuances. There's no 'symphony' left in Symphony X. They've become a 'me too' metal band and left behind what made them enjoyable for me. It's a trend they started with PL, so I guess that's just the way it is now so I'll just have to move on. Sad, but life goes on. At least I have Spotify, so I didn't have to pay for it and then delete it from my music library.

After listening to Underworld about 10 times, I can say I really like it. I am an old fan who has been listening to Symphony X since DWoT was first released in Japan on Zero records. When I discovered DWoT, I went back and bought everything they did up to that point. Symphony X has been doing this for 20 years now. They had a couple of line-up changes over the years, but it certainly didn't slow them down. Since we have to wait four years for a new release, I am overjoyed to get my hands on a new Symphony X cd! I love ALL the Symphony X albums, because they all bring something amazing to the world of metal music. Some songs are stronger than others, but there isn't a single Symphony X song that I don't like. For me, Underworld is just the next evolutionary step in the grand progression of this legendary amazing supergroup. The overall style is changing a bit throughout the years, but the solid foundation that has always been Symphony X is always present. Yes, the lyrics can be a bit awkward at times, but ask yourself how easy would it be to write brilliant lyrics for 20 years! So many bands that have been around for 20 years or more have changed drastically, and not for the better! Take RUSH and Iron Maiden as an example. Yet here we are.... 20 years later.... and Symphony X is still kicking ass like they are fresh and hungry to take over the world! We only complain because we keep comparing Symphony X to Symphony X. We complain because we want them to do what WE want. Romeo does what HE wants, and i'm perfectly okay with that!

Few more thoughts. I dont really see the hype about Kiss of Fire, to me it sounds like they listened to Avenged Sevenfold and decided "hey, lets do same kind of scary metal song too, should be fun". To me it just sounds pretendious.
Also about Legend, I like how it starts and the verse has a nice feel of classic prog rock/metal, but then it goes to that Oooohhhh style pre-chorus again, just feels like its too heavy for the song and doesnt lead up well to the chorus, resulting that the chrous feels out of place(even its a good chorus).

Great thread! I'm digging all the differing opinions about this album. I've listened to the album a handful of times, but finally got to sink my teeth (ears) into it this morning. Here's a short review of how I view the album & tunes:

Overall
A very inspired-sounding effort. The songs are all tight and to the point. It feels like every note of every measure of every song has a distinct purpose in the bigger picture. It's a wonderful package of inspired, beautiful music.

Overture
The overture.

Nevermore
Fantastic song that energizes me. Very punchy, in your face, and melodic as what. Great way to kick off an album.

Underworld
This song is very cool. It has a darker feel, and sort of cleanses my sonic palette from the first two tracks. However, the more I listened the less impact it had.

Without You
Powerful song. It took a while for me to really grasp this song, but once I did, it moved me quite a bit.

Kiss of Fire
Frankly, I can't wait to see this song live because it's going to kick my ass so hard! On this tune, their riffage goes to 11.

Charon
The vibe on this tune is outstanding. I *love* this track so hard! It's got this slightly off-center and mystical groove thing going on that I really like. I also love the vocal melodies in this song. This and In My Darkest Hour were the two songs I really grabbed onto after just 1 listen.

To Hell and Back
This song is like a 9 and a half minute journey. I found this song to be a little meandering, but just enough to make the beginning and ends really awesome :p

In My Darkest Hour
Hands down, my favorite track of the album. The music of the chorus is so good! And the lyrics/subject resonate with me. A lot. After typing this, I can confidently say this song is my favorite cut for deeply personal reasons.

Run With the Devil
This is a cool track! It was cool to hear Sym X just rock out. It sounds like a fun tune to see live, so I'm hoping they play it!

Swan Song
Gorgeous song! This is a song that succeeds at having a bunch of good song parts become a truly wonderful song. It took me a few listens to dig it, and I'm glad I gave it the time to mature. Or gave myself the time to let it sonically mature? I'm not sure which is correct, lol

Legend
A tightly knit masterpeice. I wish it was 1000 hours long. That is all.

A yuge (I'm from Jersey) thumbs up from me on this album. Great job from the guys in the band and their staff!

Lord knows I'll like this album until I see them in September, so hopefully it stands the test of time AFTER then :p