UNDERWORLD discussion thread

A sentiment I've heard in the past for some reason regarding their lengthier, more complex compositions is that this is something they've "outgrown" on Iconoclast and Underworld. I haven't seen that on this forum but it's been around on Youtube and other sites and I truly don't understand what that means. It's a pretty ridiculous and insulting notion to have.

I don't understand it, either. To me, a song like Divine Wings or The Odyssey would be mature, whereas Without You or The End of Innocence, while not being "immature" per se, would be less developed. Songs that draw from multiple genres of music and weave complex rhythms into the work seem more mature to me than a straightforward song designed to draw the attention of the masses.

The whole thing has never made sense to me.

I think people actually think Michael Romeo and friends have become less skilled technically, compositionally, and stylistically in their attempt to draw more fans in. I would wager alot of money that the precise opposite is true. I bet Romeo is capable of better things than he has ever been in the past, as well as the rest of the guys. Hopefully on their new album (which should be called, X: The Bird and the Serpent, lol), they will do a sick job of mixing the two worlds of appeal and virtuosity.