UNDERWORLD discussion thread

No vocalist sounds perfect on tour. I know he can hit the notes since I've seen him do it many times before live. Maybe he's not really warmed up to those sustained high notes yet with the tour being so early on.

Aging would be a factor but you wouldn't think it would be too bad. I saw Iron Maiden 2 years ago and Bruce at 65 at the time was still destroying everything but Aces High (which I think is basically impossible to sing live anyway).

Looking forward to their upcoming stop in Charlotte regardless and they always make for a good live show!

He sounds amazing, but I'm a huge high note guy. They are the climax after the buildup, so I like the satisfaction of a nice sustained and properly reverbed high note.

He sounds amazing, but I'm a huge high note guy. They are the climax after the buildup, so I like the satisfaction of a nice sustained and properly reverbed high note.

Totally me too. I will be seeing Symphony X live for the 1st time in February and I want to witness Russ belt out those high notes in the flesh. Especially on the track Underworld which, thanks largely to the erratic vocals in the chorus, is undoubtedly one of the best Symphony X tracks of all time.

Random question for anyone who all ready went to a live show that Symphony X closed on this tour. Did they wind up going on around 10pm? Going to the Charlotte show tonight and I assume that's going to be about right considering show starts at 7:15 and there is one opening band before Overkill.

Brilliant album. I think it is safe to say that melody is back and this album, to me, sounds like the band is bringing the vintage Symphony-X sound back. I can not understand some of the negative feedback this is getting on Metal-Archives.

I got my copy from JB-HiFI for $20. Well worth it !!!

Reactions: nckissfan
To me, the album is mediocre. I've listened to it many times in the car, and I find it somewhat enjoyable, but it's nowhere near as great as Divine, V, or Ody.
Like the 2 albums before it, it's flat.

I think it's a solid album. It's not as consistent as Paradise Lost, but the overall sound is more Symphony X-ish and the strong songs are a bit more memorable. I feel it's a very "safe" release that doesn't alienate the fans of more progressive material but also is not strong enough to wow the "me too" metal crowd.

Still, it's a much stronger effort than the tiring, soulless Iconoclast.

I think we all have to accept that these guys are never going to return to their pre-Odyssey sound. They've tried -- with songs like Paradise Lost, Revelation, WAIL, Swan Song, etc. -- but these come across as somewhat forced, and none have the same complexity or charm to them as the progressive greats from their first six albums. Swan Song and the instrumental portions of WAIL come the closest, but it's still not the same.

I'll get into this deeper later...

However, now having this album for a whole year, I bloody love this album!
I think Symphony X did a phenomenal job from top to bottom and I would love to see this whole album in a live setting.

Fun Fact: I am friends with Pinella and we chatted briefly. He told me that the ending solo of "Charon" was actually recorded backwards from the first solo that Romeo did on the track. Romeo learned it backwards and then recorded it. Groovy!

Over a year later, this album is making it hard for me to listen to other music. They reallllly hit the nail on the head for me. No, it's not as compositionally complex per the old SX style (though it has its own measure of complexity), and yes, the keys are absent maybe a little too much, and yes, there are a lack of instrumental sections, BUT:

Technically, vocally, and sonically, the ban achieves so much on this album. I also do really love the mix, even compared to their older albums and especially compared to their most recent 2.

the only keys that are missing is the solos. If you listen, the keyboards are all over the last three albums. Just more of a atmospheric sound. I think the balance of this album is much better than the Iconclast.

Last edited:
For me, if they use this album as a template, add a little more variety between vocal solos within the same song, build up to slightly larger climaxes both sonically and vocally, use a bit more orchestration and readd in their trademark instrumental sections for their next album (which I hope will be called "X", do you get it? <_<), I probably won't be able to contain myself.

They definitely need to bring back the longer instrumental sections. Paradise Lost only had one, and Iconoclast had a few, but I miss the 5-6 minute instrumental portions of songs like Divine Wings or The Odyssey.

They definitely need to bring back the longer instrumental sections. Paradise Lost only had one, and Iconoclast had a few, but I miss the 5-6 minute instrumental portions of songs like Divine Wings or The Odyssey.

A sentiment I've heard in the past for some reason regarding their lengthier, more complex compositions is that this is something they've "outgrown" on Iconoclast and Underworld. I haven't seen that on this forum but it's been around on Youtube and other sites and I truly don't understand what that means. It's a pretty ridiculous and insulting notion to have.

No vocalist sounds perfect on tour. I know he can hit the notes since I've seen him do it many times before live. Maybe he's not really warmed up to those sustained high notes yet with the tour being so early on.

Aging would be a factor but you wouldn't think it would be too bad. I saw Iron Maiden 2 years ago and Bruce at 65 at the time was still destroying everything but Aces High (which I think is basically impossible to sing live anyway).

Looking forward to their upcoming stop in Charlotte regardless and they always make for a good live show!
Bruce 65????

He's 58 lol