UNDERWORLD discussion thread

I for some reason really love the cover, although the masks could have been made a little more "modern."

Felt like I'd post some of my latest opinions on the album after at least 100 listens.

The Nevermore chorus is fine, but I feel like it needs a (gospel?) choir singing along with Russell throughout. It's really starting to bother me how low the keys are in the mix during the chorus, because what is there is cool and powerful, and could easily be thickened up to be monstrous without much effort. As much as I hate the Rob Lundgren version of the song and his voice in general, many of his ideas about the Nevermore chorus are cool, and would be absolutely sick if SX implemented them.

Also, the Nevermore "lost in shadows" section needs more vocal variety. The part starting with "the void of anguish" should build up to some sort of climax instead of just repeating the previous section.

In Underworld, Russell screams "in hell" too many times at the end. The first time should be a high vocal note instead of a scream (followed by maybe 2 more screaming versions). I also hate when bands fade songs out. Other than that, the song is pretty much flawless to me. One of my favorite songs by any band to date.

It's bothering me how identical the last chorus to the second to last chorus in Without You. They REALLY could have created some emotional climax there, with not too much work. Rest is great, and has grown on me. Still my second least favorite song after Run with the Devil.

Kiss of Fire is just insane. There is nothing I wish would have been done differently, added, or subtracted. Love, love, love. Not my favorite song on the album, though, despite my lack of critique (Charon and Underworld, AT LEAST, are above it imo).

Charon has reallllllly grown on me, which is saying alot because I loved it from the get go. They could have done more with the sitar inserts and also the post solo unison, though, and the chorus strings are too quiet. First or second favorite on the album after or before Underworld.

To Hell and Back's first verses have grown on me in a positive way. I have no real critiques for this song now. The second chorus is the best on the album IMO and one of the best in their discography. Could have probably used an 8 bar technical instrumental somewhere, though.

In My Darkest Hour is starting to frustrate me. What's there is fantastic, but there needed to be so much more there! It DEFINITELY needs a technical instrumental interlude somewhere, and the last chorus could be been amplified to a MUCH better climax. It just feels SO incomplete, and far more so than any other song on the album. Luckily, like I said, I like what's there.

I don't even listen to Run anymore. It's a fine song in its own right, but it doesn't belong on the album or in the band's discography.

Swan Song has continued to positively grow on me. No real complaints, except for that I wish Russ had actually sang "I wouldn't change a thing; I'd do most anything" in the last chorus instead of shout-speaking it.

Legend's solos aren't interesting enough from either soloist, and the climax after the acoustic part at the end is a little bit of a letdown. Still an instant classic for me, though. Probably my 4th-6th favorite on the album depending on the day (used to be my 3rd, no contest).

I actually added 3 solos from this album to my "top 10 SX guitar solos" playlist, booting out some older stuff. I absolutely adore the Underworld, Kiss of Fire, and Swan Song solos. Love, love, love.

Album is still my favorite SX work, but it's very close to being tied with Odyssey. Odyssey is a much more consistent album with more highs and overall better solo work. It does lack the energy of Underworld and is less convincing, and has worse production. The actual melodies are ever so slightly stronger on alot of UW, too, IMO, so I still give it the edge. I imagine the albums may end of tied with each other in 6 months time, with V in a dangerously close 3rd.

I hope the make Underworld, Charon and Legend regulars in their setlist this tour. Obviously Overture, Nevermore and Without You will be there as well. It will most likely be 50% or more Underworld. Something like this would be nice (but I'm probably being wishful with the V stuff).

Overture
Nevermore
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Without You
End of Innocence
Charon
Eve of Seduction
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Swansong
Legend
--
Underworld
Egypt / Death of Balance
Out of the Ashes

Overture
Nevermore
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Without You
End of Innocence
Charon
Eve of Seduction
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Swansong
Legend
--
Underworld
Egypt / Death of Balance
Out of the Ashes

I highly doubt they'd play that much from Underworld. At the most, I think we'll get Overture/Nevermore, the title track, Without You, Kiss of Fire, and possibly Charon. But I wouldn't count on anything else.

Kiss of Fire is my favorite. It is in your face, balls out badass song. I like that shit, SymX does it right, too.

I have enjoyed the entire album, including Run With the Devil. I get a Mister Big/Billy Sheenan feel, which is different from anything they have done. It has a cool groove to it.

Legend is a great song, aside from the ahh-AHH-AHH-ah thing. Catchy song aside from that.

last night at work, listening to Pandora, Divine Wings came on. I listened deeply, and thought Underworld cd has this feel, just refined a bit. Just an observation

I highly doubt they'd play that much from Underworld. At the most, I think we'll get Overture/Nevermore, the title track, Without You, Kiss of Fire, and possibly Charon. But I wouldn't count on anything else.
Here is the setlist when I saw them tour Iconoclast, 70% Iconoclast. And the setlist for Paradise Lost, 50% Paradise Lost. So I'm just assuming at least 50% of this tour will be Underworld.

I'd honestly love to hear most of the new album live, provided the rest of what we get isn't from Paradise Lost or Iconoclast.

Based on how infrequently they tend to tour and their general setlist-building technique as Adam Fiske has shown, I guarantee we will be getting 5-6 songs from Underworld, 1-2 Iconoclast songs, 1-2 Paradise Lost songs, and 3 songs from their entire back catalogue. At least on this first US tour.

I don't know, man. I do think there'll be 5 songs from Underworld, but I feel like they have to play less of the other recent stuff. Romeo said they made a conscious decision to try and include more elements for the older fans to enjoy on this new album so I would think they'd do the same with the setlist. We'll see.

I'd honestly love to hear most of the new album live, provided the rest of what we get isn't from Paradise Lost or Iconoclast.

Agreed.

I would love to hear the following songs, plus I feel like all these songs will do well live:

Nevermore
Without You
Kiss Of Fire
Charon
SwanSong
Legend

Plus I think we all can agree Symphony X deserves two-three hours worth of playing time due to all those glorious songs.

I'm an original, hardcore fan of the early albums and I gotta say I'm stunned by how awesome this new album is. It's heavy as fuck, and a brilliant transition to heavier shit while keeping the formula that makes them who they are. Love it. Hope I can see them live.

Mathiäs;11048020 said:
I'm an original, hardcore fan of the early albums and I gotta say I'm stunned by how awesome this new album is. It's heavy as fuck, and a brilliant transition to heavier shit while keeping the formula that makes them who they are. Love it. Hope I can see them live.

I would agree.

when I listen, I hear a slightly heavier, more polished production of Divine Wings, for some reason.

The production is great. The only thing that I wish was more prevalent was the orchestration and keyboards but that's not a production issue. I hear a lot of elements of black and death metal and it's awesome. I would love it if they brought in a guy like Akerfeldt to do some growls. Life complete.